Sign in to follow this  
Wahoom

P3D crashing constantly

Hi everyone

I'm still very much new to P3D and I'm having quite some issues with it...

When I first installed P3D with Aircraft, Sceneries, etc. all worked great and I really enjoyed it.

However that only lasted for about 2 months. In the last 3-4 weeks I can't do a single flight without P3D.exe "stopping to work". Also I've been getting out of memory issues now... It's really annoying because I bought a good expensive PC and I can't bring it to work.

Can anybody help me out by recommending anything or explaining what is happening to my system?

Thanks in advance!

High settings will cause P3D to crash.  Not because of P3D but because of one of your addons.  You have a lot of addons enabled and high settings and P3D is the application that runs those add-ons.  The add-ons can't crash so P3D does it for them and takes all of the blame.  It's too bad we can't get those nasty add-ons to state they caused the crash.  You have to run AppCrashView or check out your Event Viewer (see page 7, AVSIM CTD Guide) to see the faulting module.  It sometimes gives a clue as to what caused the crash.  See the link in my signature.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you very much for your reply Jim

That explains a lot. I will reduce my settings and is it best if I just disable the addons in the "scenery..." section I don't need in a flight, so not all of them are enabled?

Best regards

In the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 10, How to Fix Most Crashes/Freezes, I provide some suggestions on investigating your crashes/freezes because we cannot investigate it for you.  I suggest renaming/moving your P3D.cfg, renaming your any dll.xml and exe.xml (there are two for P3D - one in the same folder as your P3D.cfg and one in the same folder as your scenery.cfg), and rename/move your scenery.cfg then restart P3D  These files will be rebuilt with the default files (why you want to rename or move them so you can bring them back if you have to). 

Near the back of the CTD Guide, there is probable causes for crashes and some suggestions for trying to troubleshoot OOM errors.  Running out of memory is very common if you have your settings too high.  This is why I recommend you rebuild the P3D.cfg and bring it back to the default and try the same flight and if no OOM, then your settings were too high.  Cloud shadows, Autogen settings and high scenery settings are common causes.  Do you need cloud shadows at FL350?  Autogen?  Those are known VAS users but LM has done an excellent job in better managing VAS.  Most of my flights start out with about 600 MB's of VAS remaining and it fluctuates up and down during the flight and usually goes down to maybe 400 MB's then back up after landing.  I've very satisfied with that.  Hopefully the next version of P3D will be converted to 64 bits and we won't have to worry too much about running out of memory.  Then we can all go back to complaining about the lack of FPS as everyone will have everything maxed out thinking that's the way the developer developed his product so that's what I'm going to do.  I know in some of the games you can purchase on the Internet or pick up at some game store, the first thing I look at is my graphic settings as they are usually set to medium.  If it has a max or Ultra, that's where I go!!  Doesn't work like that in P3D (or FSX) though.

If you have any photoscenery enabled, it will load whether you are one mile from it or 10,000 miles from it taking up valuable resources. 

Things start getting out of hand after a while when using any flight simulator.  You start off with the basic sim and then start buying or adding add-ons.  Many of the add-ons need to be loaded via the dll.xml when starting up P3D.  Normally that is okay as long as the module it is loading is up-to-date.  Some modules are updated frequently as the developer might find a bug or make the module function better.

If you want to see what is loading during startup of P3D, try setting up Process Monitor as I suggest in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  If you have another monitor you are not using during the flight, you can move this program over to that monitor and watch what is loading throughout the flight.  It can provide some valuable clues during a flight.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you so much for your help and work Jim! It's really awesome what you guys are doing to help others :)

Best regards

• Upvote 1

Thanks for you comments.  We try.... harder!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM