Sign in to follow this  
oscarduran10

VANILLA FSX FPS

59 minutes ago, magnetite said:

FSX is not a game, it's a simulator. It's designed to simulate the feeling of flight, not replicate it (eg. 60+ FPS).

If anyone is getting 60 FPS in FSX, it's a sign they have more headroom and can turn those sliders up more.

Want to know what the default frame rate cap of a FSX vanilla install? It's 20 FPS.

The most logical answer to why people get so much more FPS compared to the OP is that they have better hardware. I had a large FPS drop (roughly 1/3 my usual FPS) going from a dead GTX 670 to a cheaper GTX 950.

Yes, vanilla with 0 detail. If you don't notice stutters, and a feeling of "unnaturalness" on a loaded sim running at 20fps, you definitely need to get your eyes checked...

Again, games (or sims) are NOT movies... the "24 fps" principle is not applicable by any means. There are tons of explanations about this on the web, but I'm sure you know how to use google...

59 minutes ago, oscarduran10 said:

I got a gtx 970 and a 4790k at stock 4.00 ghz 1600 ram and i get 90 on the default flight in vanilla fsx. 

When you say 1600 RAM, is that the speed or amount? Specifically, what speed and how much RAM have you got? What screen resolution do you run at? If you're getting 90 FPS without add-ons, just adding Orbx sceneries shouldn't drag the FPS down that much with your processor. Do you have any other add-ons in addition to Orbx? In your original post you said that you were getting low FPS with Orbx scenery - how low?

We're not refusing to answer your questions, we just need as much detail as possible otherwise we can't really help.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

10 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

Yes, vanilla with 0 detail. If you don't notice stutters, and a feeling of "unnaturalness" on a loaded sim running at 20fps, you definitely need to get your eyes checked..

Again, games (or sims) are NOT movies... the "24 fps" principle is not applicable by any means. There are tons of explanations about this on the web, but I'm sure you know how to use google...

I had laser eye surgery done in December 2013. My eyes are fine.

Stutters are generally a sudden drop in framerate followed by a rise immediately after. So if your framerate is 20 FPS and drops down to 5, that's a stutter. If it's consistently 20 FPS and steady, then it's not a stutter.

I suppose some don't claim motion to be smooth unless it's 60+ FPS. In that case, you might need to turn down your sliders if you're not getting the framerate you want.

I still don't understand what this guy wants to know, to me the question sounds like" Why is my Toyota middle class car not going as fast as my neighbor's Ferrari 458?"

with his specs ( medium end ) it seems completely normal and as for ORBX stuff; global base doesn't hit on your frames, open landclass neither, full fat regions hit enormous and especially Vector can hit in some places really bad.

You want higher frames? start overclocking to 4.4 or 4.5Ghz and replace your slow RAM with some speedy RAM 2400MHz with the very important CL 10 or even better CL 9 if you still can find it and if that is not enough then try to find a GTX980TI or GTX1080 and you're sitting on roses.

Please moderators, close this useless discussion.

Still no answer to the original question which is how many fps do you get on the default friday harbor flight with out panning or doing anything or changing any settings besides setting the frame lock to unlimited.

I doubt if many people here have the Friday harbor flight still as default flight so difficult to answer but why don't you explain what you are trying to get to with this question, if it is for comparison reasons then you can only compare to people with about the same specs, nobody else, and then just have set up FSX for the first time. Much luck in finding them and then still, do you gain anything from that knowing others come to the same frames?

I already explained it ive seen screenshots with people getting 200+ and im at 90 and hardware wise you cant get much better then my specs. Sure i can overclock it to 4.5ghz but the fps are only going to change very little. I just want to know from people with my specs or lower what there fps are too see if theres something wrong with my set up. 

11 minutes ago, oscarduran10 said:

I already explained it ive seen screenshots with people getting 200+ and im at 90 and hardware wise you cant get much better then my specs. Sure i can overclock it to 4.5ghz but the fps are only going to change very little. I just want to know from people with my specs or lower what there fps are too see if theres something wrong with my set up. 

Hardware wise you are at a medium system, far from the top, your RAM is very low speed and that blocks rendering to, your GTX970 isn't top either and as far as CPU speed goes, there are people running over 5Ghz, every overclock of about 0.2 Ghz is going to give you in unlimited about 20 to 40 frames more if you have the good hardware. Change your RAM for at least 2133Mhz CL8 or higher and you will see a difference you didn't expect.

Got this from another site, you will never get more frames then the refresh rate of your monitor no matter what your fps counter tells you so with a 60hz refresh rate you will maximum see 60 frames a second, I don't know where you saw these guys with over 200 frames, couldn't find any on you tube, so must have been screenshots taken at an instant off a second and that was probably the only instant it topped 200+ so not exactly reliable to use as a reference.

I have an i5 4690K on a Gigabyte Z87 MoBo OC'ed at 4.2Ghz, a GTX 760 card with 2Gb video memory and 2X4Gb of 2133Mhz CL9 RAM and 850Watt PSU ( this is how you give your specs ) an at Friday Harbor ( but I have the PNW full fat region from ORBX there ) I get with all sliders in the middle ( don't know the settings from default vanilla, to long ago ) in unlimited a count between 15 and 140 but it's real jerky and full of stutters, barely can call that playable. My monitor has a 60hz refresh rate and I have VSync in NVidia inspector on 1/2 refresh rate hence my frames are limited at 30 and that stays on 30 and gives a smooth experience, what else you want more?

I don't care about somebody else his frames, even if they would get 500+, if it runs smooth then enjoy it and don't get frustrated because somebody else has something more cause then you only act as a spoiled brad.

Herman

1 hour ago, electricman said:

Got this from another site, you will never get more frames then the refresh rate of your monitor no matter what your fps counter tells you so with a 60hz refresh rate you will maximum see 60 frames a second, I don't know where you saw these guys with over 200 frames, couldn't find any on you tube, so must have been screenshots taken at an instant off a second and that was probably the only instant it topped 200+ so not exactly reliable to use as a reference.

I have an i5 4690K on a Gigabyte Z87 MoBo OC'ed at 4.2Ghz, a GTX 760 card with 2Gb video memory and 2X4Gb of 2133Mhz CL9 RAM and 850Watt PSU ( this is how you give your specs ) an at Friday Harbor ( but I have the PNW full fat region from ORBX there ) I get with all sliders in the middle ( don't know the settings from default vanilla, to long ago ) in unlimited a count between 15 and 140 but it's real jerky and full of stutters, barely can call that playable. My monitor has a 60hz refresh rate and I have VSync in NVidia inspector on 1/2 refresh rate hence my frames are limited at 30 and that stays on 30 and gives a smooth experience, what else you want more?

I don't care about somebody else his frames, even if they would get 500+, if it runs smooth then enjoy it and don't get frustrated because somebody else has something more cause then you only act as a spoiled brad.

Herman

Well we wont see the frames after 60 but the frame counter doesnt lie. Anyway thanks for checking the friday harbor for me although your running pnw(which takes a hit on fps)  plus your sliders aint on default. The only way to get the sliders on default is to delete your cfg but i wont ask you to do that. Anyway i did a reinstall of windows 7 (im talking about the windows 7 oem cd) with no updates and im getting way higher frames than windows 10 mhmmmm????

I hope i dont confuse you but i was on windows 10 when i wrote this post. I found my windows 7 installation disk and windows 7 runs it faster idk why