Sign in to follow this  
Airfighter

X-Plane 11 - Austin's Q&A

On ‎01‎.‎04‎.‎2017 at 6:21 PM, wiler said:

Cant beleive no one is talking about his Q&A.

Perhaps if it was posted somewhere else than Facebook? They do have their own Website, x-plane.com and various blogs that I follow. But Facebook ... no way ;-)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, AnsorgJ said:

Perhaps if it was posted somewhere else than Facebook? They do have their own Website, x-plane.com and various blogs that I follow. But Facebook ... no way ;-)

Yeah, I'm not on Facebook either and it's annoying when software devs assume everyone else is, and use it for primary communication. Anyway, you can still see the video of that Q&A if you just follow the link and click past the "Sign up or Log in" prompt. Or here's a direct video link, just click past the login notice if it shows up:

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Don't always agree with everything Austin says, although he is always very decent to chat to, and one thing you can always say about him is that he is very driven in what he does and that is good to see in someone who makes flight sims. That is something MS lost when Bill Gates went, since he was kind of the driving force of MSFS.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

7 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Yeah, I'm not on Facebook either and it's annoying when software devs assume everyone else is, and use it for primary communication.

7 hours ago, AnsorgJ said:

Gentlemen I'm 100% on Your side. I love x-plane not spy-Plane.

Tom

• Upvote 1

Sometimes I have to admit to myself:
"Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses"

9 hours ago, Chock said:

Don't always agree with everything Austin says, although he is always very decent to chat to, and one thing you can always say about him is that he is very driven in what he does and that is good to see in someone who makes flight sims. That is something MS lost when Bill Gates went, since he was kind of the driving force of MSFS.

Indeed Chock. As much as I complain about X-Plane, in each new version he releases, I have to take my hat off for his enthusiasm and dedication to the cause of bringing us common mortals a "Ultra-Realistic..." flight simulator.

X-Plane isn't Ultra Realistic, in as far as I can tell, but among the civil sims available, it is still the one with probably the highest potential to become a top reference.

I liked the interview too, and I always like to listen to Austin, and Ben, whenever they talk about their projects.

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

20 hours ago, strider1 said:

Unrealistic. You will never see hundreds of planes flying in the real world. Maybe a dozen on approach and departure. And if you have any real pilot time you would know it's very difficult actually spotting AC in the air.  It's like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

FSX has tons of AI around, we're talking about a 10 years old technology. WT can handle a hundred of planes without any appreciable FPS hit, it's just a matter of what sort of approach you choose. LR choosed the real approach and we ended up with a useless AI traffic. Unfortunately we know XP equals Austin's taste. A pity he did not take a liner pilot license, we would have a fully working ATC the next month.

40 minutes ago, Desaix said:

Unfortunately we know XP equals Austin's taste. A pity he did not take a liner pilot license, we would have a fully working ATC the next month.

Please do explain what is "liner license" and what it has to do with ATC?

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Maybe he thinks only airliners work with ATC?  Ha

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Please do explain what is "liner license" and what it has to do with ATC?

That would be ATP license. Air Transport License. That is what you get the next step up from commercial pilot. Perhaps a real ATP will come on and comment??

But, honestly I don't see the difference. If you fill an IFR flightplan it doesn't matter if your a private, commercial or airline pilot ... The "talks" will be the same :_)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, wb5okj said:

That would be ATP license. Air Transport License. That is what you get the next step up from commercial pilot. Perhaps a real ATP will come on and comment??

It's ATP certificate I presume. (FAA do not issue licenses for pilots just certificates)

CFI is usually  next up form commercial certificate ;)  

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

14 hours ago, Desaix said:

FSX has tons of AI around, we're talking about a 10 years old technology. WT can handle a hundred of planes without any appreciable FPS hit, it's just a matter of what sort of approach you choose. LR choosed the real approach and we ended up with a useless AI traffic. Unfortunately we know XP equals Austin's taste. A pity he did not take a liner pilot license, we would have a fully working ATC the next month.

You are missing the point. In the real world you are not going to see tons of AC flying around... I fly in the LA basin and I never see tons of AC flying around. Just saying........

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

On 4/1/2017 at 11:35 AM, tgcbraun said:

Native VR, perhaps in two months. Yes! :)

Woo Hoo, this is what I was hoping for.

Aaron Tirrell

18 hours ago, strider1 said:

You are missing the point. In the real world you are not going to see tons of AC flying around... I fly in the LA basin and I never see tons of AC flying around. Just saying........

I see, you mean those addons both payware and freeware top sellers for 5/6 years in the FSX world are just unreal. People who like traffic seeks a decent degree of realism, with right operators at right gates, possibly real schedules and real skins, not just a couple of perfectly rendered AI planes around. If you want 60/80 aircrafts at a big hub like in real life you cannot resort to current AI logic, FPS will die. But who knows, maybe in two three years will be different. WT and X-Life prove that you can have a decent amount of AI with decent realism. It's a simplified approach, but not that trivial and actually they perform way better than the smart AI of LR which we all know how many weird artifacts intorduced as soon as the number exceeds a half dozain.