Sign in to follow this  
ronnay

affinitymask i7 7700k

Yes 85=four straight cores works best but you must factor in what exe apps are running. In Bruce's case he leaves core zero free (logical processors 0 and 1) with the Affinity value 3=00,00,00,11 which keeps his addon exe apps on that core with two LPs while the sim is using the other three cores with four or more LPs.which is quite a good solution when you have aggressive addons. Otherwise with 85=01,01,01,01 those addons would need to running on 10,10,00,00 for best results, however they share the sim background tasks on those last two cores. So it's a close call there with the four core CPUs and HT enabled.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Ok. Thx for the help. Were in the fsx cfg file can i find HT? (Quite noob with computers :') )

Hyperthreading is enabled or disabled in your motherboard setup.

Affinity Mask is added to the FSX Config file when needed:

C:\Users\-YOU-\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg

With Notepad add the new JOBSCHEDULER section to the top of the file and add the AM value below:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=85

Hm okay. Were can i find out if hyperthreading is enabled or disabled of my motherboard?

Right-click on the TaskBar and choose Task Manager. In the Performance Tab, choose CPU view, graphs to Logical Processors, you should see eight graphs on a four core +HT

• Upvote 1

Incidentally if we only have four cores no Hyperthreading don't use an AM and the sim will use 1111. Instead just use the .BAT method to ensure addons use only 1100. This keeps them off of the first two cores and provides two per addon. A good idea is to always use at least two with networked apps, and that means most addons since they use SimConnect and is utilised irrespective of any physical networking

Ive been looking. And ive seen core0 until core 7. But some cores arent beeing used. Is this correct?

Yes they are Logical Processors, each pair makes up a core. So if one "core" looks 100% busy and the other core looks dormant the core in fact is at 100%.

Yes, four straight cores what else can you do with four cores? You can only improve the loading speed slightly with 245=11,11,01,01 but it won't improve your fps. The main thing is to keep the exe apps away from the first two cores, that's LPs 0,1,2 and 3.

Thx for al of youre help. Really appreciate it. Ome more question, is there a Fsx.cfg that improves scenery detail? (just wondering)

On 4/3/2017 at 2:20 AM, SteveW said:

Yes, 248=11,11,01,00 which gives use of 5 logical processors, thanks Bert. What this fifth one does is add an extra thread for collecting scenery and sim data but as can be seen shares the core with the fourth thread. It should inmost cases load the scenario slightly faster than 116 maybe a few seconds depends on hardware. It won't improve rendering performance actually reduce that a tiny bit, but might aid smoothness with certain scenery types or loads.

Thanks Steve and Bert for your insights into this Affinity Mask topic, I have been following it with interest.

But Steve I am confused about your mention regarding 248=11,11,01,00.

When I did the calculation that Bin result came out as Dec 244. When I do a Dec 248 I get a Bin of 11,11,10,00

I don't know much about this stuff, so I am trying to learn...

See attached...

Edited by Jim Young
Attachments not allowed. Links to attachments allowed. For images, see our screenshot posting rules under rules and policies above.

Regards, Dane

- Windows 10 Home - CPU Intel Core i7-10700KF @3.8GHz
- EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 GPU - 1TB SSD DRIVE - RAM 32GB - MSFS-2020

correct! 248 and 244 amount to the same thing

...often AMs amount to the same thing, for instance 170=10,10,10,10 and 85=01,01,01,01 or even 165=10,10,01,01 all work the same as far as the sim is concerned however we must remember with HT enabled configurations like 01,10 uses two cores but 00,11 uses only one core.