Sign in to follow this  
ronnay

affinitymask i7 7700k

3 minutes ago, SteveW said:

As it happens I use my own tools that do a lot more than all that stuff you mention and have done so since FSX came out.

Yeh I know, you keep best things to yourself, lol.

I'd rather go for one big batch though (which SIMstarter is) than playing with the scattered single ones. 

But understanding how things work is primordial, of course.  

Thanks,

However, forgot to mention, I launch SIMstarter with a batch file :biggrin:

Is there a specific line parameter to run exe in administrator mode?

Thanks,

7 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

However, forgot to mention, I launch SIMstarter with a batch file :biggrin:

Is there a specific line parameter to run exe in administrator mode?

Thanks,

You're joking right? :biggrin:

To run an app from a .BAT so that it acquires admin privileges, drag and drop a shortcut to it and right-click choose properties, check the Run as Admin box.

If you are running as admin to acquire Modify access to a folder and files through admin privileges, instead consider simply setting the "Modify Allow" checkbox on that folder properties for the Users Group.

If the folder is a system folder intended for apps running for users on the PC we see the Users group. If the folder is a system folder intended to be seen by the network we see the Authenticated Users group. If we make our own folder we don't get a group and we don't automatically get access to it as an admin - we only get access as the owner.

So in short, any apps that attempt to write to a folder in, for example, Program Files, or perhaps I want to edit them or whatever, I check the Modify Allow box for the Users group. Saves agreeing to the Run as Admin messages - and improves reliability of the addon installs and networking access without sacrificing security. 

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On 18/03/2018 at 2:05 AM, SteveW said:

In answer to your enquiry about the core affinity of the MJC Q400 Dash 8:

We go to the Q400 subfolder and find the ini file

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\mjc8q400\ini\mjc84.ini"

Scrolling down to the [SYSTEM] section we see:

; by default Dash-8 will not load it's tasks onto the CPU core where the FSX process runs
disableFSXCPUBypass=0

So it says it won't run on the core of the main FSX process by default. So if we want to set it up ourselves we have to say: disableFSXCPUBypass=1

Next we see some info about setting the AMs:

; Here one can specify which CPU cores the certain function threads will prefer to run
; 1 bit per core. For example, 2=CPUid2, 4=CPUid3, 6=CPUid2+3  Only takes effect if disableFSXCPUBypass is not 0
systemThreadsCPUMask=0
graphicsThreadCPUMask=0

So taking example 2=CPUid2 we can look at the binary for 2=10 shows using the second LP in from the right. Looking at 4=CPUid3 4=0100 the third LP in from the right.

6=CPUid2+3 gives us 6=0110 which is the second and third in from the right.

"I would like to run the Dash 8 on Core 0"

So you can set the Dash 8 to use core zero with AM=1 which in 4bit binary AM1=0001 which is LP zero.

systemThreadsCPUMask=1 and graphicsThreadCPUMask=1

Brilliant. I had eventually worked it out, using a GCSE text book...... lol.

I actually put them both to 1.

Only uses about 15 %..... but at least that's 15 % less on the main P3D core.

I hope more developers turn to an external engine like Majestic did. I had 70 odd FPS in the VC yesterday, on the ground at an OrbX airport..... in the sky I had 85 .... and 150 in the external view.

Astonishing. Lock to 60 fps, and it's like maple syrup being drizzled onto hot donuts, on a crisp February morning... smooth, baby !

Puts the other AAA developers, to utter shame.

Period.

Edited by Gabe777

I'm glad you got it going so good!

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com