Sign in to follow this  
jimble

several problems

I have had MCE for several days nad can't seem solve multiple problems. 1/ Speech recognition is poor despite several voice training sessions, in fact, i seem to spend more time chasing the FO around the cockpit fixing all the crazy tish he keeps doing..eg, 'taxi light switch on' i request. ' ok altitude set to 51 000'  'Gear up', 'ok flaps 6'..these commands sound nothing like each other. It doesn't recognize 'off' so i have to drag it out to 'arrf'. I have a Manchester accent from the North of England..don't know if that is what it is struggling with. 2/The ramp agent bloke appears to be completely useless..he introduces himself at start up, i can make contact with him, but he doesn't respond to any commands and complains that i need to be careful before i hurt someone when i start my TO roll . FO informs me that i ran him over.(need to test that as i have pressed a button something about leaving him at the gate) 3/Can't get GSX to work via voice control..have edited INI but any reference to GSX just brings up the default fuel and payload manager. 4/ spent several hours trying to get PFE to work via VR with no luck I was trying to configure both user and PFE3 fo, but mute button keeps switching itself off for no apparent reason, and i loose the TTS hot key...so gave up on that as well

It started as a trial version which i bought a license for

Thanks for any help with this.

Hi,

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. It's important to understand Speech Recognition listens very differently than humans. For instance, if you start to speak slower or overpronounce things, humans will have an easier time understanding you. However, a speech recognition system will have a much harder time understanding you, because it was not trained for that! So the first step is to assure to speak 'naturally' but still slightly more enunciated and clear than you would when speaking to a friend. The second is microphone setup -> Make sure it has approximately the same distance of your mouth whenever you speak. Make sure the input is loud enough (run the windows mic config.) Finally, Also do the training from Windows not just the MCE training sessions (Just type Speech Recognition in the start bar). The reason is that the more different sounds the system learns from your voice the higher is the chance for it to understand unknown words correctly. Also, remember it's hard for the computer and there will always be plenty mistakes (For me it's also at maybe 70/80%).

2. Have you already looked at the documentation? In particular, ground_cmd.rtf There you find how to address the ground guy (I use the term mechanic) and also how to release him, so you don't run him over.

3. Have you changed the hotkey for GSX? I don't even know if that's possible. For me it worked out of the box. Like "Crew coordinator please start boarding"

4. About PF3 (I assume you mean PF3 and not the old PFE), I don't know why it would lose your hotkey. Just make sure that it has a check mark next to it otherwise it is disabled. There is currently a bug that the brand new Automute setting isn't saved properly. But you could instead also just configure the pilot voice to None. Another way around it, is editing the config file. In your PF3 folder there's a file PF3.ini that contains all the setting. For setting the automute search for AutoMuteVCP and set the value to 1 so AutoMuteVCP=1 and save the file. Then PF3 will remember the setting. If you still have problems with configuring PF3 I recommend going to the PF3 support forum. There are great people that have more experience configuring it than me.

I hope that helps at least a little.

Best,

David

David

FSX User / Into Addons with deeper Systems Modeling / Love planes and airports and ATC

pf3-supporter.gif

To cure the issue of loosing the PTT key in PF3. 

Add this to the ATC section in the MCE ini. See attached link

http://www.ocs-support.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2401

Rob

update,: it appears that the latest GSX now has enhanced refuelling. So when you use MCE for fuel, depending on your aircraft it can and will open the default fuel and balance window. 

Thanks for the replies everyone. Worked on everything again this morning. Can now get GSX to board the aircraft using the request 'crew coordinator please start boarding' as suggested by Voju Can't yet get a push back, but i see after a cursory re review of documentation, i have to relieve ground coordinator and establish contact with the mechanic...will work on this later.

PFE3 Still no joy. Pilot voice is set (in this case generic US but see no reason why it can't be any voice)  Helix, i added your suggested tweak to MCE INI file and it is now maintaining PTT key which is assigned to the A key on the keyboard, the transmission key is assigned to logitech joystick. Auto mute button is checked in PFE3 menu...ok i'm at the gate at Dallas fort Worth i get one of two results...or both.  'clearance delivery good morning, Deltalta 19er0 is at the gate with information lima, requesting IFR clearance to Adams (or Little Rock). There is no response. Second scenario is that PFE voice comes on and makes request after initial silence. A problem with PFE is that you can't get back in to check menu settings without disconnecting, but after disconnecting i see that auto mute has unchecked itself...no idea why. I am aware of the recent update to PFE3 and have reviewd available documentation...so right i am flumuxed.

16 hours ago, jimble said:

I have had MCE for several days nad can't seem solve multiple problems. 1/ Speech recognition is poor despite several voice training sessions, in fact, i seem to spend more time chasing the FO around the cockpit fixing all the crazy tish he keeps doing..eg, 'taxi light switch on' i request. ' ok altitude set to 51 000'  'Gear up', 'ok flaps 6'..these commands sound nothing like each other. It doesn't recognize 'off' so i have to drag it out to 'arrf'. I have a Manchester accent from the North of England..don't know if that is what it is struggling with. 2/The ramp agent bloke appears to be completely useless..he introduces himself at start up, i can make contact with him, but he doesn't respond to any commands and complains that i need to be careful before i hurt someone when i start my TO roll . FO informs me that i ran him over.(need to test that as i have pressed a button something about leaving him at the gate) 3/Can't get GSX to work via voice control..have edited INI but any reference to GSX just brings up the default fuel and payload manager. 4/ spent several hours trying to get PFE to work via VR with no luck I was trying to configure both user and PFE3 fo, but mute button keeps switching itself off for no apparent reason, and i loose the TTS hot key...so gave up on that as well

It started as a trial version which i bought a license for

Thanks for any help with this.

Welcome aboard jimble.

Regarding speech recognition...

Microsoft speech engine might not be very good with dictation, but when it comes to the "Command and control" part, which is what MCE is using, you really can't fault it under Windows 7 or higher. It's excellent under Windows 10.

It can even cope with German or Italian accent, let alone yours.

IMPORTANT: There could be more than one audio device on your system, and it's possible the speech engine is listening on the wrong input.

Say you have a webcam with built-in microphone that is like 3 feet away from your mouth and happens to be where it's expecting your speech.

Go to <About> tab in MCE user interface and check which devices are listed under "Sound In" and "Sound Out".

If they aren't what you expect, run our "assign sound device" tool.

Start->All apps->Multi Crew Experience->Tools->Assign sound device.

Select relevant input and output (where you want to hear the FO) and click OK. The tool will eventually make changes automatically if required.

You'll get the best of speech reco when all audio is routed to headset, otherwise, Fo might pick up ambient noise as commands.

You don't have to worry though, because all speech commands deemed critical, will always require a confirmation.

Not sure what MCE version you got. If it's lower than V2.7.0.6, please proceed as follows.

In-install MCE via Windows Control Panel.

Do NOT manually delete anything, as your activation file will remain in place

Download the very latest Demo version

http://www.multicrewxp.com/Downloads.html

Unzip and run "InstallMCE".

To make sure you aren't using a very old config file (may have tried MCE years ago and didn't format hard drive since), suggest you restore to factory settings.

Start->All apps->Multi Crew Experience->Tools->Restore factory settings.

That will prompt you to go through the wizard, which will make sure everything is set as expected.

If using a USB headset, make sure you plug it straight to a USB port at the back of the PC, and not via a USB hub. USB headsets have a built-in audio chip that needs to be fed with power. And to enable it to stream audio to the PC, ideally you don't want to share the USB bus with other devices

What Windows version are you running? Is Windows UAC enabled or disabled?

If enabled (and we don't recommend disabling it) , you MUST

1 - Install MCE to default C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder.

2 - Set "fsx.exe" or/and Prepar3D.exe to run as administrator.

That would guarantee no issues with setup regarding communication between MCE and the sim.

Thanks FS++  downloading latest version of MCE as i type. Will install, configure and trouble shoot then report back.

Depends a lot on training the PC to recognise your voice and being consistent with what you spoke like when you did that voice training. There shouldn't be too many issues with a Manchester accent, I'm from the 'Grim North' too (Stockport) and it seems to recognise me ok, however I'll admit my accent doesn't really sound much like that put on nasal Oasis-styleee 'I-yoh mate, see-yoh laay-toh' malarkey any more lol, but even if it did, I reckon MCE would probably do okay with it, so you shouldn't need to go all 'what ho you cheps, I fly a harricun' like some RAF fighter pilot in order to have it recognise what you say. Christ knows why the Gallaghers sound like that anyway, they're from Burnage lol; nobody else who I know from Burnage sounds like that, and that includes my best mate, who went to school there.

Two things worth considering are the microphone you use and the room you are in. You don't need to spend a fortune on a mic, but obviously a cheap one won't necessarily do a great job and may distort if you get too close to it, so you could try adjusting your distance from the mic to your mouth. Many headset mikes are omnidirectional, so you could try covering the side of the mike which doesn't face your mouth in order to stop it picking up extraneous noises, a bit of tape or blu-tak will achieve that easily enough. The reverb from sound reflecting off hard surfaces in a room can occasionally cause issues too, try things like closing curtains or hanging a blanket on any large hard bare walls in your room, which will help to dampen sound reflections. If you have a noisy PC case fan, that can impact on things too.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Totally fake..The Beatles exaggerated their Liverpool accents at the start of their career for some reason. I live in the USA now, and my Tex Mex girl friend loves the Oldham accent, and wants me to perfect it...fat chance!

Installed latest version, did a factory reset and repeated voice training and everything is greatly improved. Voice recognition is much better co pilot has stopped doing crazy stuff. Now to study the rest of the programme.

Thanks for the help.

One more thing, in the promotional material, it says that the Feel There Embrear 175 and 195 is supported but i can't find any reference to it, am i just missing it?