Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

PC Broken After Update - Need Help Please

After the last Windows 10 update a few days ago, my main PC crashed almost immediately and then continued (unsuccessfully) TRYING to auto repair, reboot, and just going into a never ending loop.
Having backups, I decided to try a full reinstall of Windows 10.
All was fine until I plugged in any USB device to main motherboard (rear) USB ports, at which point, the fault reoccurred.
I've tried 4 times now, but if I plug anything into the rear USB ports, it kills Windows, forcing me to reinstall windows yet again, as a repair never works.
This is pretty much a disaster for me as I use this PC for work as well as FS:-((((
Can anyone please help with this?

Don't attempt to plug anything into your MB's USB ports.

Try updating your USB drivers....from the motherboard's manufacture's site.  If they don't have any Windows 10 USB drivers, you'll find them on the Microsoft site.

Also, go into each of your USB driver's hub, and see what the settings are set at.  That can be reached on the Device Page.

Reboot, and see if that suggestion corrects your snafu.

I would go one step further and boot the machine, without any usb devices attached, delete the usb drivers that are installed, then reboot and allow Windows 10 to find the drivers for you.  I recently had an issue with a wifi card giving me trouble and after following this procedure, Windows 10 found drivers for it and resolved the hardware issue.  Windows 10 is good for that these days, knowing the hardware you have, and making sure you have the drivers for them, though they may be generic.  In that case, you at least have something installed that won't crash the system, and as Sesquashtoo mentioned (and if really needed), download the proper drivers from the manufacturer's site.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

The culprit is Definitely Microsoft update KB4015438  If I uninstall that BEFORE plugging into any rear USB ports, and use an app I found; an O&O utility called 'OOSU10' that stops MS updates dead!

The problem is, once it happens, I can do NONE of the things suggested above, as the PC then locks itself into a repair/reboot loop that never works.  Cant even get safe mode:-(

I'm now up and running, with all my USB ports working and in use. I just have to hope I can keep that update at bay.

I've just had a FB message from a friend with exactly the same issue, and his PC is not based on Asus. Luckily he has a PS2 port;-)

Huh. Just checked my Win 10 update history page and discovered  attempts to install  KB4015438 "failed" about 12 times between 3/30 and 4/2/17.  Never succeeded.  Don't know why, or what that means...  But from your post, I consider myself lucky (so far).  

20 hours ago, Dougal said:

After the last Windows 10 update a few days ago, my main PC crashed almost immediately and then continued (unsuccessfully) TRYING to auto repair, reboot, and just going into a never ending loop.
Having backups, I decided to try a full reinstall of Windows 10.
All was fine until I plugged in any USB device to main motherboard (rear) USB ports, at which point, the fault reoccurred.
I've tried 4 times now, but if I plug anything into the rear USB ports, it kills Windows, forcing me to reinstall windows yet again, as a repair never works.
This is pretty much a disaster for me as I use this PC for work as well as FS:-((((
Can anyone please help with this?

I am having the same problem  when plugging  USB HUB I get SYSTEM THREAD NOT HANDLED. I have done several system images repairs but when windows forcefully install updates I get this errors with  endless loops and the worse P3D gets a license error after a few images repairs.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

2 hours ago, angeli662 said:

I am having the same problem  when plugging  USB HUB I get SYSTEM THREAD NOT HANDLED. I have done several system images repairs but when windows forcefully install updates I get this errors with  endless loops and the worse P3D gets a license error after a few images repairs.

Uninstall KB4015438 from the control panel. Then go here: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 and download the tool.  It allows not only disabling of forced updates, but also stops a lot of the win10 intrusive stuff.

Maybe it's a temp fix, but it works for now.....

Good luck!

2 hours ago, Dougal said:

Uninstall KB4015438 from the control panel. Then go here: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10 and download the tool.  It allows not only disabling of forced updates, but also stops a lot of the win10 intrusive stuff.

Maybe it's a temp fix, but it works for now.....

Good luck!

After the last system image install, I unplugged my internet cable and works fine, unfortunately,  I use 2 PCs to run P3D  in my network and some add-ons like Chase Plane need to be connected to the internet. 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

You help yourself;-)  I'm not going to until I know for sure;-)

Glad that you are up and running again Phil.  Sorry to be reading about your issues with your PC.

Rob

\Robert Hamlich/