Sign in to follow this  

Does the autopilot even work in this aircraft?

I've worked real autopilots on real airplanes my entire life and I have never seen anything as unstable as this.

I can manually bring the plane up to say 10K feet, and have a route set in the GTN750.

But when I engage NAV the plane starts to wander and porpoise through the sky radically until it becomes out of control.

Is this a bug in this new plane?  ALT hold or ARM does not work either, it just busts the altitude in climb or when engaged at say 10K feet will plummet despite me telling it to climb.

I have a lot of Carenado planes and the A/P works just fine, this is an abomination.

Jack Sawyer

It seems to work ok on my system. The altitude arm works better on the 2d popup than on the vc. I set the alt button first, the dial in the desired altitude, then press the arm button, then set the climb rate with the pitch wheel, about 8 degrees.

On the GTN750, make sure you have GPS selected on the CDI.

The VSI is wonky above 1000 fpm, but the IAS mode does work.

Dale

Dale

31 minutes ago, tanker said:

It seems to work ok on my system. The altitude arm works better on the 2d popup than on the vc. I set the alt button first, the dial in the desired altitude, then press the arm button, then set the climb rate with the pitch wheel, about 8 degrees.

On the GTN750, make sure you have GPS selected on the CDI.

The VSI is wonky above 1000 fpm, but the IAS mode does work.

Dale

Hi Dale you using P3D or FSX?

I'm using P3D 3.4, I have the GTN.

I didn't know that about the pop-up, I'll have to try that next time.

I knew about the GPS, it was on.

The VSI sure is wonky!  Man, it's downright erratic.  I've been simming since 1982 and have a ton of planes and I have never seen something so crazy as this indicator!

I submitted a ticket, hopefully they'll address these issues as they almost always do when there's a new release.  Hope it's not buyer's remorse though.

Jack Sawyer

The autopilot works fine for me (P3Dv3.4) however, there was at least one other user (verbli is his username) that has the same problem you describe.  Something is interfering it would seem, based on some setting or some other conflict.  

21 minutes ago, whamil77 said:

The autopilot works fine for me (P3Dv3.4) however, there was at least one other user (verbli is his username) that has the same problem you describe.  Something is interfering it would seem, based on some setting or some other conflict.  

Thanks, but gosh I wish I knew what it is because I like this plane.

I use a Saitek yoke, pedals, and two quads, and Saitek's TPM.  Not controlled by FUSIPC but by Saitek's SSI, I just like itthat way.  I have the full registered version of FSUIPC.

Was testing it out over Orbx's new LOWI, AS16 on, TrackIR, and this plane was absolutely unusalbe with A/P on.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Jack Sawyer

Check to see if the control assignments have changed in your Prepar3D.cfg file. Mine changed after I installed this - my brakes are assigned through FSUIPC and those axes are normally disabled in P3D. After installing the Cheyenne, I discovered all my controllers had returned to their default assignments, which of course conflict with FSUIPC.

Christopher Allan

What am I looking for in the cfg file as I'm not too savvy when looking in it.   Do you think it made changes to the controls in P3D's settings screen?

And why would Carenado do this?

Jack Sawyer

3 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

What am I looking for in the cfg file as I'm not too savvy when looking in it.   Do you think it made changes to the controls in P3D's settings screen?

And why would Carenado do this?

You could just look at your controls in the P3D settings menu, click on each of your controllers and  scroll down the axis list and see if you have any double entries/conflicts.

As you assign your controllers outside of P3D you will need to remove them from P3D controllers settings.

You could also after sorting them out do a export in case it happens again.

bob

4 hours ago, onebob said:

You could just look at your controls in the P3D settings menu, click on each of your controllers and  scroll down the axis list and see if you have any double entries/conflicts.

As you assign your controllers outside of P3D you will need to remove them from P3D controllers settings.

You could also after sorting them out do a export in case it happens again.

bob

Hi Bob, I just now looked.  I had created some documents with every last setting typed out.  Button assignments, Axis, all of it.  It was tedious and time consuming.  I keep these documents on my iPad so just now I went through all of them, especially the axis assignments as you indicated.

I don't see one thing added or removed, all is the way it was before I installed this plane.  Axis, Buttons & Keys, all of it.

Any other ideas or is this a Carenado problem?

Thanks.

Jack Sawyer

10 hours ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I use a Saitek yoke, pedals, and two quads, and Saitek's TPM

Hi Jack, for any of your  controllers listed above are there any axis listed in the P3D settings-controllers for elevator, Ailerons. etc for any of your devices.

example , note my devices are all listed in the drop down menu :-

jLM5OWi.png

click on each device and check for axis assignments.

bob

Hi again Bob, I'm flying it now and all seems to be working perfectly.  I have no idea what happened.

Could it have been because it was the first flight at the time?

I shut it down last night and set up a flight now and the A/P is behaving itself.

Very odd.

Jack Sawyer

Well, it's NOT fine.  One thing I've noticed is I MUST use the pop-up 2D panel for it to ARM.  This is terrible as I like the VC.

Jack Sawyer

3 minutes ago, Jack_Sawyer said:

I shut it down last night and set up a flight now and the A/P is behaving itself.

That's great news jack.

my autopilot is also working ok, except for the 'ALT Arm' button in the vc. it's abit touchy and doesn't always high light but for some reason the decent starts.

bob

Right, I edited my post.

In the VC the ARM switch is ridiculous.  This needs to be fixed right away.

Also, is this a first for Carenado?

Overtorque and engine and you lose it, I just had a gear malfunction too.

I wish they had better documentation and at least a way to repair in a hnagar like A2A but I'm amazed they incorporated these failures.

Jack Sawyer

Bob, I've also noticed the oil cooler door on the top of the right engine will open but not close and the left one will not open or close.

Have you seen this?

Jack Sawyer