Sign in to follow this  
strider1

NIGHT XP Sucks !!!

Night XP at the org. Don't be a sucker like me and waste your money, it's awful !!!!! And it's not needed.....

Installed it and deleted. Nothing against the org but sometime they just throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks or should I say sell.

Cheers...........

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Thankfs for the 'warning'.

Haven't tried this, but I'm actually a little surprised that it exists... The night environment in X-Plane is quite excellent by default.

(Although, I'm used to FSX/Prepar3D night environment, so I'm probably biased... )

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

14 minutes ago, Anders Gron said:

Thankfs for the 'warning'.

Haven't tried this, but I'm actually a little surprised that it exists... The night environment in X-Plane is quite excellent by default.

(Although, I'm used to FSX/Prepar3D night environment, so I'm probably biased... )

You're right, the default night environment is excellent. With a few tweaks and lua files here and there, it's jawdropping- in fact I usually fly at night in XP now. The only drawback is the limited LOD of city lights, which forms a really nasty edge to the lights a short distance from the plane, which looks really bad especially in large cities. LM knows about this and will fix it at some point in the future, apparently. I think that "Night XP" was trying to solve this by putting down a photoreal image of the city at night, but from the screenshots it looks really awful and blurry. 

AFAIK, there's two options to improving the night light LOD in XPlane, neither of which is ideal. There's the new "night city textures" mod, which gives 'lit' textures to the entire city area, but doesn't look that great IMO. It's free, though, so it can't hurt to try: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36942-night-city-textures-extended-lights-lod/

There's also the payware Urbanmaxx, which adds MSFS style generic city textures in defined urban areas for both day and night. I have it, and the textures can look a bit repetitive but if you can learn to live with it you'll appreciate how much more 'filled in' cities look. Only $8: http://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/product_info.php/urbanmaxx-p-102

And here's a mod for the night textures: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/17668-night-texture-update-for-urban-maxx-v2-3d/

2 hours ago, strider1 said:

Night XP at the org. Don't be a sucker like me and waste your money, it's awful !!!!! And it's not needed.....

Installed it and deleted. Nothing against the org but sometime they just throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks or should I say sell.

Cheers...........

Just a thought:

For the most part, the .org store simply acts as publisher. It doesn't always come across clearly, but when they use the word 'We' in the product description, they're using the blurb as provided to them by the add-on developer. In the case of the 'Night' addons that they're offering, they're actually developed by Taburet, and I'm pretty sure they've been available for awhile at a different addon store.

I doubt the .org curates it's offerings; the X-Plane payware addon repository is pretty small.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Taburet is a scam. He started with selling some autogen made with w2xp without even customizing the textures. Basically the same you can download for free from Simheaven, except that some real enhancement work was done on the latter. I never quite understood why he is listed among the best sells at Simmarket. Looks like some people prefer buying some cheap nothing than some real add-on with a slightly higher price and some hard work put into it.

Pascal