Sign in to follow this  
Rickie Welsh

A Good Read

Hello,  This Post is mainly centred on newcomers to the PMDG 737NGX and in no way is it  critical of the PMDG manuals, however this Book written by Captain Mike Ray takes the strain out of the PMDG manuals and makes flying the 737ngx more relaxing.  The book title is 737ng Training Syllabus simulator and Checkride, NOT the 700 series which does not include the NGX.  I have been flying the 737ngx since day one and reading this Book has enabled me to try more elaborate procedures because it is easier to navigate through the pages and get the right result.  The cost of the Book may be a bit high to some of you, I paid £50GBP.  I am only trying to help out.

• Upvote 1

Can't say enough for Captain Mikes work. Wish he would do one on the T7.

Vic green

Yup, awesome stuff to read, very easy on the eye and easy to comprehend, with a friendly and amusing writing style too. The PDF versions are okay (I have one of the A320 ones on PDF, also got the print version as well). If you can afford to spring for the spiral-bound print versions that is a bonus, since they are nice to read at work or on a bus or train and being spiral-bound, they sit open on the required pages too if following a tutorial. I can certainly recommend the A320 ones and the Flying the 700 Series one is good too even if it is non-specific to a particular aircraft, since it helps with all Boeings and even has a few tips which would suit an Airbus sim aeroplane as well.

If you want something at total 'nerd level' for a 737 in the details and information it goes into (all variants of the 737), then I can also recommend this one linked below, which truly will make you an expert on the 737. Written by a guy who test flies B737s for his airline and whose level of knowledge on the Baby Boeing is pretty much second to none. This one should be in every airline pilot's library for sure, because it is without doubt the most detailed book on the 737 ever written:

http://www.b737.org.uk/book.htm

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

So excited to catch up with Mike Ray at FSC in June. He and so many others will be there, and so will I for the first time, finally. 

+1 for the work of Mike Ray.

I've got the 700 series spiral bound checkride manual (Abe Books, £3)

and the 747 Simulator & Checkride manual, spiral bound (Abe Books, £50)

Very readable, and most informative, and Capt Ray's style make them very entertaining too.

While the 747 manual attracts a premium, the 757 and 767 titles seem to be available for much less.

1 hour ago, Chock said:

If you want something at total 'nerd level' for a 737 in the details and information it goes into (all variants of the 737), then I can also recommend this one linked below, which truly will make you an expert on the 737. Written by a guy who test flies B737s for his airline and whose level of knowledge on the Baby Boeing is pretty much second to none. This one should be in every airline pilot's library for sure, because it is without doubt the most detailed book on the 737 ever written:

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Looks like an addition to my gonna get list. Seems like the NGX is the one I always go back to after a brief dance with the PMDG Queen and T7. I guess that's just the kind of routes that suit me most.

Vic green

1 hour ago, Angelo Cosma said:

So excited to catch up with Mike Ray at FSC in June. He and so many others will be there, and so will I for the first time, finally. 

Glad to here it. For a while I was wondering about Capt Mikes health since he hasn't put out any new books in a while. Give him a hardy hand shake.

Vic green

Mike's books are worth every penny.  I have the a320, 737ng, and 737 classic. All were key in my airplane learning, at the heart of it, in fact!