Sign in to follow this  
bmaik

Stab Trim and TCAS above/below switch

Hi to all,

there are 2 differences between the QOSII and older versions that I haven't understod yet. Perhaps somebody can help:

1. The tooltip for the Stab Trim are gone! I know that I can get it approximately correct by eye but it's no longer the same to be honest. I'd prefer the good old fashioned tooltips which were there in the PMDG 747-400X.

2. The TCAS above/below switch has disapperead. Or at least I can't find it anymore. So is it there in the real aircraft or not and if it's modeled in the QOS II where can I find it.

Any help appreciated.

Regards, draci

Welcome to the PMDG forums, please note forum rules that include a full name on all posts.

1) Gone on purpose.  You don't need it.

2) I'm not familiar with the legacy product, perhaps that was a feature added to overcome limitations of FS9?  FCOM Ch 15 has no mention of a ABOVE/BELOW switch, where would you expect to find it?

Dan Downs KCRP

Further to Dan's post...

#2 -- 747s are fitted with a variety of different types of transponder and it may be that the ABV/BLW function does not exist on the transponder modelled by PMDG.

1 hour ago, downscc said:

FCOM Ch 15 has no mention of a ABOVE/BELOW switch, where would you expect to find it?

On the ATC/TCAS panels of several airlines (new and old). e.g. British Airways, Japan Airlines, Mahan Air and (I believe) United.

The 3 position switch is marked A, N & B or ABV, N & BLW or ABOVE, N & BELOW

BA744TCASCPG-CIVR.jpg

Some airlines may have two switches on one panel for Above/Below
Cheers

JHW

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

In case you run out of buttons/switches to push.... (the JAL version)

JALTCASPanel.jpg

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

12 hours ago, downscc said:

1) Gone on purpose.  You don't need it.

Hi Dan, just curious, apart from doing it 'by eye' on the pedestal with Num 1&7, is there another way to set the stabilizer trim?

I think what Dan means is that setting it by eye is good enough. You don't need to set it precisely to one decimal place. So it seems PMDG removed the tooltip deliberately to encourage you to set the trim the way a real 747 pilot would.

A 747 pilot told me getting the trim within one unit was close enough. He said that in contrast, the 707 trim had to be set within a quarter of a unit.

ki9cAAb.jpg