Sign in to follow this  
markmasterson

Windows 10 Creators Update

If you are like me you are always trying to live on the bleeding edge. This topic will make sense.  In reality, I would have thought there was a topic already about the Creators Edition update to Windows 10 and the potential impact on P3D, but I have not seen one. 

I am downloading to my test machine and see what changes will potentially impact my system.  I am wondering has anyone updated their P3D platform and has feedback for this community.  If not, I will share my experience as I go forward.

I did update Windows on my P3D machine but upon completing the update and a swift automated reboot, Windows wouldn't get past a flickering login screen which forced me to revert to a previous version of Windows (14393.969). Hope you have better luck.

How do you get it?

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Woody wrote:

For the first four months of a Win10 version's initial release, users are actually working as unpaid beta testers for Microsoft on the not-yet-stable version.

Four months???  He's being rather optimistic...

Greg

NVidia have just released new drivers supporting the creator`s update.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I´m using build 10563 and i`m happy with it.

I just updated to build 16170 rs_prerelease.170331-1532. The latest Insider Preview.

Everything works well. X-Plane runs smooth. So no Microsoft horror stories from me :)

I`m really happy with my installation and i hope others are satisfied too. 

Ah...bit the bullet...and updated.  No problems in the multi-restarts, etc.

Then upgraded to the latest nVidia WHQL  381.65

Everything seems to be working just fine.

======================================

Warning!    This update has introduced bad skip frame and stutters in XP 10 and 11. I have tried three different drivers, and still the stutters. I have turned off GAME MODE, and still the stutters.  Warning...update (XP user) at your own risk....

will attempt to immediately turn back to the Anniversary Edition.  I should have left well enough alone.  

I upgraded to the new version last night.

So far, I've only had 1 problem. [i've only tried a few aircraft so no conclusions here]

The problem was concerning my CH peripherals. I think the update installed something which changed the raw data reported by my Pro Throttle.

After the update I tried 2 aircraft. One in X-Plane 11 and the other in P3D. The X-Plane aircraft was taxiing much faster than before. I wrote it off as an unknown known. Lighter weight or something. The P3D aircraft was the F1 Mustang. I couldn't get the throttles in the Cut Off position.

So, after looking around in FSUIPC I saw the raw values were different. The throttle closed position values had changed. I used the Calibrate Axis tab and set the Min/Max to the new raw values.

Now, everything is fine.

I can't say I see much of a difference in FPS with Game Mode enabled. Maybe a slight improvement, but nothing substantial. Then again, I have my FPS locked to 30, and it was pegged at 30. Maybe I need to do more testing.

Just wanted to report the throttle problem I found.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

8 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

Warning!    This update has introduced bad skip frame and stutters in XP 10 and 11. I have tried three different drivers, and still the stutters. I have turned off GAME MODE, and still the stutters.  Warning...update (XP user) at your own risk....

will attempt to immediately turn back to the Anniversary Edition.  I should have left well enough alone.  

Not on my system. XP 10 and 11 are running fine on my system. At which airport and with which plane do you see stutters?

I just made a small video of KSLC and as you can see there are no stutters 

Well,  I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to Creators update.  I also upgraded by 1080ti to the latest drivers.  I deleted my P3d Cfg and Shader files.   I am taking a test flight from EGLL  (UK2000) to EKCH Orbx  with the basic settings when you start a new CFG.   I will report back on any memory leakage.   

I flew out of EGLL with 1.2M Ram (FSIUPC) and crossed the British Coast with 870K of ram... 

Decided "Why not!" and jumped in.

Non-game mode, haven't yet messed with game mode.

FSX wouldn't open, side-by-side error. The update seemed to have wiped out the older runtimes for me. Reinstalled, it opened. Then it needed me to reinstall MSXML. And THEN it needed me to reinstall simconnect libraries. And then I had to re-do my NVInspector profile. :dry: After all of that, everything works and is good - I'd say better than good. Took the Superbug out for a spin around PHBK, seems smoother than it was, I think a jump in fps as well.

X-Plane opened and ran fine, but I noticed no difference whatsoever from what I was getting previous to the update.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.