Sign in to follow this  
jinx

UKMIL site

UKMIL has a website but it is unusual.

1. To make an account, they demand an email that is "normal"--you cannot have gmail, yahoo mail and the like. They say those types of emails invite hacking!!

I have a gmail email here, and in all sites like avsim, Simviation, SOH, etc.

It appears those latter sites  that accept such emails are wrong, if we are to take UKMIL's excuse seriously.

2. I emailed the administrator for help with registration 5-6 days ago--no answer so far--another problem here.

3. I also posted in these forums to get them to help me -no answer so far..

To put it mildly, UKMIL has a weird, deplorable and snobbish policy which is a disservice to flightsimmers. 

I wonder if this post will correct some things.

Cutting and pasting this comment across multiple websites will not help your case.

1 hour ago, jinx said:

UKMIL has a website but it is unusual.

1. To make an account, they demand an email that is "normal"--you cannot have gmail, yahoo mail and the like. They say those types of emails invite hacking!!

I have a gmail email here, and in all sites like avsim, Simviation, SOH, etc.

It appears those latter sites  that accept such emails are wrong, if we are to take UKMIL's excuse seriously.

2. I emailed the administrator for help with registration 5-6 days ago--no answer so far--another problem here.

3. I also posted in these forums to get them to help me -no answer so far..

To put it mildly, UKMIL has a weird, deplorable and snobbish policy which is a disservice to flightsimmers. 

I wonder if this post will correct some things.

Don't you have an email account with your Internet Service Provider? That's a 'normal' email address.

It's their website so I guess they can call whatever shots they like.  Their requirements do seem a bit unfair, but then life's unfair!!  Disappointing, though, that they're not communicating with you.

Dijvid

There's nothing unfair, weird, deplorable or snobbish about it. Nor is it anything unusual. An ISP email account is traceable, therefore unlikely to be used in any kind of hack or sabotage - the website's title is UKMIL - use your heads.

I guess it is up to them to choose their own rules; if they want you to use your ISP's email address as an added security measure, then that's fair enough if they feel it keeps them more secure. Ultimately it's up to you to decide if you want to register with your ISP email. I don't see why you wouldn't want to do that if that's their requirement and you want what they have to offer.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks for your comments,

I will make an emrail with my ISP provider and hope it works...

The forum issue with Yahoo and Gmail accounts is really spamming rather than hacking. It is too easy for spammers to create new accounts with them and remain totally anonymous and untraceable whilst they use automatic processes to register and then bombard forums with unwanted advertising. Even before anybody has complained to the email provider, they will have moved on to yet another untraceable address.

All forum owners have to deal with this one way or another, and it can make a lot of work. Exactly how they deal with it is up to them - at the end of the day we are guests of the forum owner and have to abide by their rules. We do not HAVE to use their forums.

Personally I think the issue lies with free email providers rather than the forum owners.

Just my opinion . . .

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

I made an email with email with my ISP provider but it does not work.

I also had a friend trying to register--it did not work either.

I think their policy is crazy--to say the least.

Posting the problem on 3 sites was an effort to attract their attention to the problem--it hasn't done so, so far.

What remains is to  ask someone in a forum to send me a traffic file their site has, which I do need.

Does anyone here have a account with them?

• Upvote 1

Don't ever get into train simming! One site owner wants you to send him something with your name on it like a phone or electricity bill to get on the site! Crazy stuff and what's even worse, the site has the main support forum for a train sim being developed they intend people to use. Not sure what is more stupid, the site owner with his demands or the people developing the train sim and putting the official support forum on his site!
Just asking for an ISP only email is not that unusual. I think it's silly policy myself, most people simply won't use their ISP unless that's the email they already tend to use to register at places but the policy is up to the site owner. Sites like this will lose traffic but that's their decision to make.

Mark Daniels

There are alternatives you can try, such as militaryaiworks.com and modsim.co.uk.