Sign in to follow this  

Can't see the wood for the trees...

I'm a bit stumped on getting the weather radar to show precipitation.

I have Active Sky 2016 running with Live Weather active.  I've done a search in AS2016 to find somewhere that has heavy rain and stormy weather.  I've then gone into FSX and loaded up the default PMDG 747 V3 (570 model) on the active runway at that airport so that the I'm ready for take off, engines running and all systems go.

Outside it's pouring with rain, runway is soaked, visibility is less than 3 miles and I'm getting lightning flashes, result!  I have a green bar weather update confirming it's not pleasant weather in my location.

I have clicked the WX button on the EFIS so that WX etc displays on the ND. So far so good.

However, there is no depiction on the ND of the rain and storm, no pretty green, yellow, red colours etc.  Trust me, it's heaving down outside!

I have tried adjusting both the gain and tilt in each direction but nothing appears on the ND display.  I have tried WX and WX-T. When I click the Test button it confirms the radar is active.

I've re-read the Intro Weather Radar section and looked at FCOM page 1220 onwards as advised (the wood)  but I just can't see which click of which button on the weather radar (the trees) I need to do to get it to display the wet weather waiting for me!

Would appreciate some help from experienced weather radar users.

Thanks!

Look at AS16 and 1) Ensure it says it is connected to FSX and 2) Look at the AS16 map and verify it is showing precipitation at your location.  The only button you normally need to use is the EFIS WXR button.

Dan Downs KCRP

strange, looks all good, you are not missing anything. 

do you have any other addons that use AS radar like 737NGX, 777 or FSLabs A320? If yes, is it working?

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Dan, it def says connected to FSX but not sure on the map, will check that when I have another chance to fire it up, prob tomorrow morning.

Woozie, no other addons apart from the QOTSII.

Will update with the map check tomorrow.

is the radar even supposed operate when you're on the ground? maybe the GCS kicks in automatically? i always wait to turn it on until climbout so i guess i can't say i actually know what it does in the ground case. maybe you should try taking off and see if you get any returns as you enter the system. maybe that can determine if there is nothing reflecting or if it's something about being on the runway or a bug with it not operating at all. i don't know if the beam tilts up past the horizontal either.

cheers,-andy crosby

Quick update as I couldn't help myself.  Dan, there is def rain in the area.  Went to KWFN which had very heavy rain, centred the AS16 map on the plane and there was plenty of yellow and green areas all around the plane.

I took off to check Andy's idea.  It's a very short runway so I did fly through the trees and barely made it over the hills.  I got a terrain warning with the terrain proximity image depiction on the ND so that's def working, Plenty of stormy rain, lightning flashes and lots of wind as well but still no precipitation showing on the radar.

You might want to check the tilt of the antenna. IIRR, it defautts to -2 degrees. If you're sitting on the ground, the radar can't see anything...

Makes sense but even after I'd taken off, nada..

Not sure if it's relevant but  I do have Rex 4 installed but weather engine is turned off, textures only.

3 hours ago, Curtis Smith said:

You might want to check the tilt of the antenna. IIRR, it defautts to -2 degrees. If you're sitting on the ground, the radar can't see anything...

My Collins Multiscan Radar Manual says that during takeoff, the readout will be +5 degrees (an average of two scans, one at 3, one at 7). As the aircraft climbs, the angular difference between the two scans reduces.

is the radar even supposed operate when you're on the ground?

That's how the Predictive Windshear sees windshear during takeoff. Also, I've never had any problems seeing radar returns on the real aircraft with this type of radar.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

5 hours ago, spesimen said:

is the radar even supposed operate when you're on the ground?

Don't know why it wouldn't. It wouldn't do any good if you had no idea what weather was around prior to take-off.

Screenshot%2076_zpsk4ytwd9y.png

Also starting from 1:45 in this video, you can clearly see it on.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Do you run anything like SpyBot AntiBeacon or any other blocking software.  This can cause interference to the WX radar.

I ran into your problem earlier this week, and found it was caused by shutting down something.  I haven't had the chance to narrow down which one.

Re-enabling what I had shut down made the radar work again.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Only thing I've got running like that is Windows Defender and the FSX folder is excluded which is where AS16 is installed. I'm sure it must be a button push or enable somewhere on the radar or pedestal that I'm missing!  Just can't figure it out!

Grrr, this is so frustrating!  I've tried each default model as a test, still no joy.  I have made sure REX weather engine is off and it's winds and visibility are disabled.  FSX weather is set to clear skies so that AS2016 can override it.

Now sitting at KOAK in the rain.  When I press the test button it warns me of wind shear ahead.

I know it's going to be a simple fix but what on earth is it!

Have checked this as well:  http://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a109/weather-radar-troubleshooting.aspx

How can I add screenshots to my posts, guys?

Based on your description in your initial post there's nothing you are doing wrong or missing James. Its as simple as hitting the WRX button on the EFIS and making sure that its either in WX or WX+T mode with reasonable GAIN settings (you can leave it on Auto though). I didnt even have to change any settings in AS to make it work. 

Do you run AS on the same machine as your sim or is it a networked install? If its the latter it might be worth to try a re-install of the AS connect software on the sim PC. You will find it in your AS install folder. Also, if its a network installation, make sure that port 19284 is open, thats used for WX Radar communication afaik. 

Apart from that, maybe try to temporary disable all kind of anti-virus, anti-malware, desktop firewalls or security suites. 

One last suggestion: Try the gauge that comes with AS and see if that shows any radar data, that would at least give you an indication if the issue is on PMDG or AS side

BTW; you can only add screenshot by uploading them to a picture hosting service, like imgur. Then just add the image by using its URL