Hello everyone, I am preparing for a new build and the components below were what i had in mind.

Chipset Intel i7 7700k

Cooling Corsair  H115i CPU Cooler

Motherboard ASUS Strix Z270F Gaming

Memory GSkill RipjawsV 16GB (2x8gb) 3200MHz 

GPU ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 1070 OC 8GB

Powersupply Corsair 850W HX850i

SSD Samsung EVO 850 1TB 

I am having trouble sourcing the RAM i want here in Australia. All the G Skill RAM i can access has slow latency and as such started looking online.  This RAM issue is very confusing with so many that look almost identical.  Can someone point me to a site that has the fast latency ram i am chasing and ships internationally?

Also  with the components above, i am looking for a good case that has reasonable access, airflow and room to accommodate the cpu cooler.  If anyone can suggest some commonly found cases that meet the criteria above i would be greatly appreciative.

Many Thanks

Tim Carter

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

These are some of my available options, are any a reasonable option given my other hardware choices

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2x8GB) PC4-24000 (3000MHz) DDR4, 15-16-16-35, 1.35v, Dual Channel Kit

G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) PC4-24000 (3000MHz) DDR4, Trident Z, 15-16-16-35-2N, 1.35v, Dual Channel Kit

G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) PC4-25600 (3200MHz) DDR4, Ripjaws V, 16-18-18-38-2N, 1.35v, Dual Channel Kit

G.Skill Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB), PC4-25600 (3200MHz) DDR4, 16-18-18-38-2N, 1.35v, Dual Channel Kit, Black & White Headspreader

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

I am having trouble sourcing the RAM i want here in Australia. All the G Skill RAM i can access has slow latency and as such started looking online.  This RAM issue is very confusing with so many that look almost identical.  Can someone point me to a site that has the fast latency ram i am chasing and ships internationally?

Don't compare the latency of an older platform with faster DDR4 for Kaby Lake. The timings are relative to clock frequency. "True latency" is not the same as the latency quoted.

Speeds have increased and clock cycle times have decreased resulting in lower true latencies, even though there are more cycles to complete. So don't get hung up on the fact that DDR4 has higher quoted latency. 

Good explanation from Crucial below...

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency?AID=10419485&PID=3899435&SID=1402X558040X48725b52bfce6f6e02d9fac6dee46252&cm_mmc=affiliation-_-null-_-null-_-null

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Phanteks have some very nice cases, well designed, great airflow.

http://www.phanteks.com/

Personally I'm a Lian Li fan as I have a weird fetish for aluminium. Expensive though, so dependent on your budget, you may not be able to afford my case. Lian Li X510.

Go for slightly positive pressure.

Yep, don't worry too much about latency.  I mean, if you were buying 2133 C20 or some such I would say absolutely don't buy it, but once you get up to sufficient clockspeed (i.e. 3000 and above) the latency becomes less important.  

Phanteks does have nice cases, I'm a Corsair and Fractal Design fan though, the 900D and Define S are my current cases.  

+1 for Phanteks. My current build is in a Phanteks Enthoo Pro. See https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc for a good review. It's a large case with masses of space, it's very easy to work inside and hide the cables plus it will take your H115i cooler with room to spare. One exceptional feature is that it's almost all screwed together rather than riveted so it's easy to customise it to exactly what you want. For what you get, the case is a bargain.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

G'day Tim,

I just picked up my new build parts from MSY here in Brissie yesterday.

I decided to go with the i7 7700K, ASUS Maximus IX Hero & the GSkill Ripjaws 3200 16GB. Intend to do the build over Easter.

The price of the MB just got dropped by $30 so thought I'd grab one whilst there was stock. Still very expensive but I'm about to be retired so thought I'd go with something that should last quite a while & the ROG boards seem to have good reviews. Particularly re the high quality heat handling components used. Also I need as many rear USB ports as I can get so decided on the Maximus which has 9. Did consider the Strix & the TUF also. All good boards I reckon, you can't go wrong with any of them.

I'm putting it into my current case a Thermaltake Chaser Mk1. Don't know if you can get them anymore however I've had a couple of Thermaltake cases & found them excellent to work with. They have HD trays that don't require screws & will take both HDD & SSD's. Also front fitting components such as CD-R similarly don't require screwing in. Cooling is excellent & the case is also Water Cooling friendly. Could be worth a look at also.

BTW which lure do you prefer? :-)

Good luck with the build.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Hi Tim,

I have just completed a similar build using the Corsair 740 Air - it's a bit different - less of a tower and more of a box if you like. I am finding it to be excellent for airflow with the H115i mounted on the front and the fans pulling air in and exhausting out of the top and back. It separates the motherboard from the HDD/SSD's and there's lots of room. Very pleased with it.

I got my RAM from Amazon US shipped to me in Hong Kong - G.Skill 32GB 3200Mhz. It was much cheaper than here in Hong Kong for some reason.

James

Thanks everyone for the feedback. All components aquired and build has started.  

Hopefully will have a great system for a few years to come.

Cheers to all.

Regards

Barra