Sign in to follow this  
Guest MarkM

How many are still going to buy payware for FS9?

Possibly, and why shouldn't I?It's nearly a year yet after all. If I'd not buy addons because there's going to be a next version with any degree of certainty I'd never buy addons at all.In fact I'd never buy FS because there's likely to be a next version so why not wait for that?

Taking another view at this question, if folks quit buying FS9 releases, then by the time FSX does come out......there would be few - if any - companies left to build FSX content! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Even if FSX were released tomorrow I would still keep FS9 on my system for at least the next several months. This is the samething I did with FS2002. Mainly thats to allow payware to catch up to the new version AND to allow for any patches or mods required. Basically I take a go slow approach to conversion. Also, if this version forces me into a PC upgrade...which it might...this system of mine is now old...then I'll probably run parrallel on two PC's.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

I will continue to buy .. i will get the enjoyment out of the purchase. I rationalized that I go to the movies and spend more .. for 2 hrs of enjoyment, eat out for more 45 min meal and spend more .. the addon purchase will gave way more enjoy time for the dollar Vern

Guest ScottPilot

I will.I want to get the rest of the USA/CANADA seasons from BEV and several more aircraft.Scott

Depends on what is released. I stopped buying a year ago for the same reasons as jimmi, lack of interest (want to do more than fly from point A to point :( and other games/sims and my ongoing designing keep me pretty busy. I am looking forward to the Carenado 206 amphib and Holgers Tongass Fjords package as well as the Flightscenery Portland addon. If another Georender comes along I'll get that also.As for global texture/scenery enhancements, I'll definately wait as FSX looks to improve on what we have now.Gonna be a long, agonizing wait till FSX for me, any chance of preordering yet, LOLRegards, MichaelKDFWhttp://www.calvirair.com/mcpics/mcdcvabanner.jpgCalVirAir International

Best, Michael

KDFW

I'm planning on buying the FSD MU-2 when it comes out (I have a few hours in one, great fun, somewhat challenging to fly). I'll also consider the FSD Jetstar if the price is reasonable. I think I'll avoid the complex airliners or expensive aircraft. I've already got a hanger full of great planes and with Radar Contact 4 and ASV5, plenty to keep me busy. Besides, I'd better start saving for a system upgrade.Dale

Dale

I still will. My system has gotten to the point where the screen is as real as it gets. I will probably buy FSX because if no one does, then MS might not make FSXII.JimCYWG

I most certainly will continue to purchase. There seems to be some great stuff coming down the pike. And I will also by FSX the first day it comes out and have both installed for several months I imagine. Did the same with 2002/2004 transition. Usually takes several months before new addons appear after a new version is released. So we could be talkin' a good 12-16 months before a complete switch to FSX. No way would I sit out that long with addons!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest jboweruk

Well I've still got several more planes that are out I would like to buy, and a few yet to be released, I probably won't buy FSX as soon as it comes out anyway, since it's going to be optimised for Vista and I've heard some things about that which are not so good, from ppl who have tried it. Advantage of working for an OEM I guess is we get beta copies very early on for our R&D department to try out and I get feedback from then.So I'll probably wait till the SP's for Vista get released and I have a monster machine to run it on, and until then I'll keep flying what I have for FS9 while the developers catch up and update their bits and pieces, guess we'll lose Emma Field though :(

I'm confused?It was said that FSX would be an update from FS9 in as much as all 'addons' would be backward compatible? Now we know that it will not.By that, means that people with middle of the road systems would be have no problems running it? With all the 99% users still using 'AGP' motherboards, is this not a let down?And if your in the business of making money, a-la-'Microsoft' wouldn't you want to provide a program that would appeal to *most* instead of some?FS9 for me stays and with all the addons available, I'm sure it will always be as good as FS10 with no addons.Dave T. .........On the Devon Riviera and active 'FlightSim User's Group' member at http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/

Dave Taylor gb.png

>It was said that FSX would be an update from FS9 in as much as>all 'addons' would be backward compatible? Now we know that it>will not.>No, we don't know that ;)Historically most addons will either work without change or will be updated to work for at least one new version of FS from the one for which they were originally created.At the moment that's all that is known, plus the fact that the MSFS development team knows about the existence of addons and seems to enjoy using them as much as we do (and may even try them for compatibility though this is stated nowhere).>By that, means that people with middle of the road systems>would be have no problems running it? >If the trend of FS2004 is followed anyone with a decent system will be able to run it.I expect for example that my 2.4GHz machine will work fine, possibly even yielding superior performance under FSX than it does now.>With all the 99% users still using 'AGP' motherboards, is this>not a let down?>no, AGP vs. PCI-E has nothing to do with the software that system runs.The people running PCI and VLB motherboards should start worrying though ;)>And if your in the business of making money, a-la-'Microsoft'>wouldn't you want to provide a program that would appeal to>*most* instead of some?>And that's exactly what they're doing.

anyone here has the ** FW190 or P-47?Those two look really nice, would like to get my hands on one of them if someone can give an endorsement ;)

I expect to delay my purchase of FSX by 6 months to a year like I did with FS9. I want a beefier computer and Vista if I'm going to upgrade and wait for manufactures to upgrade their products and for the freeware pool to build up or else I know I'd bore of it quickly. Without a decent 737 series, I wouldn't fly much anyway since most of my flying of late has been for a VA in 737-200s, 300s, and 400s. The rest has been in bush aircraft with FSE.I believe that most payware aircraft may likely be upgraded to be 100% compatible with FSX for free or a small upgrade fee for current users. The cost of the upgrades I imagine will be mostly bast off of the ammount of work needed to make it compatible. I'm sure developers put imput into MS to have them make it very similar because no one likes to have to re-learn a completely new system. Can you imagine having to learn to speak a new language every 2 or 3 years? Hehe.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach