Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Looking for GA planes that work correctly in XP11

5 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

It depends what do you look for. As I mentioned I did't put many hours in it, but I tried few slow flight, accelerated stalls, spins and etc similar to that

Well, I do see your point there... Not all of us look for all of that of course. Apart from 'unintentional' spins in various military jets (in FSX), it's not something I really go out of my way to experience. I would like to be convinced that the normal flying characteristics are correct; I would rather that be the case than having the knowledge that it's capable of spins. Not that it makes me 'right' any more than you, we each have our own priorities.

It's also worth noting that I believe you set a pretty high standard there; your acceptable selection in X-Plane must be pretty slim if spins are what you're looking for... And looking past X-Plane, there's some very well-regarded aircraft in FSX from the best FDE authors that don't manage to achieve all of what you've noted.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

jt8d9a, I agree!!

http://www.vflyteair.com/

Check them out. I have all three Cherokees and they are updated with XP11 textures that use PBR. Excellent details and models. Flys very well and you have to start them correctly, you can't just press the starter button. You must lean and use carb heat correctly too when icing.  Very well done. I'm a huge fan and they are now steady extracting more money from me!

Chris

11 hours ago, Jimmy RFR said:

Well, I do see your point there... Not all of us look for all of that of course. Apart from 'unintentional' spins in various military jets (in FSX), it's not something I really go out of my way to experience. I would like to be convinced that the normal flying characteristics are correct; I would rather that be the case than having the knowledge that it's capable of spins. Not that it makes me 'right' any more than you, we each have our own priorities.

It's also worth noting that I believe you set a pretty high standard there; your acceptable selection in X-Plane must be pretty slim if spins are what you're looking for... And looking past X-Plane, there's some very well-regarded aircraft in FSX from the best FDE authors that don't manage to achieve all of what you've noted.

OK, so I tested it with the same standards  (important to me) as AirFoilLabs, and find AirFoilLabs better reflecting  my understanding of aircraft behavior. Feel free to disagree of course

Any airplane I approached in real life start with very basic slow flights and stalls (in some occasion spins). I apply same standards adjusted to the sim limitation. This is normal characteristics for me.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

After reading your suggestions, I have come to the conclusion that there can be many good answers to my question about GA planes in X-Plane11.  I ended up buying the Carenado 206H and Navajo.  I am enjoying both planes. 

After many many years of FSX and P3D, I am taking the plunge into XP11.  Today I am downloading and installing XP Mesh.  Then I will install and download some ortho4xp.  I am very excited to see what my virtual world looks like after that.  Then I will have to make a decision of going further with XP11 or waiting for P3Dv4.  I think after all these years of flying in the 32 bit world, that it is time to spread my 64 bit wings.

Thanks for all of your comments.  I find these forums most helpful.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, PDX Flyer said:

Today I am downloading and installing XP Mesh.

Maybe wait with that. It will get an update for XP 11 later this year. It also does not include the new building heights for the autogen, therefore cities might actually look worse than with XP11's default mesh.

Be also aware that you can either use HD Mesh or Ortho4XP-generated scenery, but not both at the same time. Technically, both are mesh (one has just photo textures attached), and X-Plane can only display one of them at the same time.

Finally, if you're flying mainly in the US, keep an eye on the US Orthophotos project:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36327-us-orthophotos/

It provides pre-made Ortho4XP scenery in great quality, so if you don't want to learn how to use and configure Ortho4XP, this is a great alternative. At the moment, the previous downloads have been removed, because the author recognized that not all of his source files were by the USGS, but he has found a 100% public domain alternative and is currently uploading the first bunch.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir