Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The Emerging World of Mixed Reality

From wikipedia: Mixed reality (MR), sometimes referred to as hybrid reality,[1] is the merging of real and virtual worlds to produce new environments and visualizations where physical and digital objects co-exist and interact in real time. Mixed reality takes place not only in the physical world or the virtual world,[1] but is a mix of reality and virtual reality, encompassing both augmented reality and augmented virtuality.[2]

Funny stuff. I tried walking the plank too, but even knowing in my heart that it wasn't real, I couldn't make myself jump off. Shows how much control our instincts have over us. The graphics are early Nintendo, but that doesn't matter. The sense of depth and scale just sets off all the alarm bells in your reptile brain and off we go!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

LOL this reminds me of when I was visiting my brother-in-law and he had just got the Vive.  My In-laws and my wife were all taking turns playing with it, and there was this one VR that put you on a narrow bridge over a chasm.  Even without feet rendered in the environment, they couldn't force themselves to take the step off.  I was sitting there laughing at them saying "you know its not real right?"  They just said "ha, ha, you don't realize what its like yet".  Wo when my turn came, I went to the same bridge, and promptly took the few steps off the side of the bridge.  Now falling wasn't programmed so you just kinda floated there, but the many many years of playing video games has given me the ability to disassociate what I see/hear and what is really going on.  I got dirty looks when I asked what they thought was so difficult (im a sarcastic a**hole).

:laugh:

It wasn't that I wasn't willing. My feet just wouldn't cooperate!!

It was mutiny.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5