Sign in to follow this  
wb5okj

X-Plane using Win 10 Creators edition?

Probably a reaction to SteamOS or Vulkan, like Win8 was to Mac. I'll see next time when I need to boot a proprietary os. Stinky win10 always updates and has me waiting.

On my second attempt to update to Creative Update,  I got the thing working very well. No snafus like I had the first time, like the START menu button not bringing up the menu window.  Stuff like that.  Now all works with no 'apparent' bugs glaring me in the face.  Game Mode works...got a 1-2 percent FPS increase with XP11.  You need to understand how to actually make sure that it truly is 'engaged' with your present game/simulation.  It doesn't just happen, just because you have the Use Game Mode box clicked on. Consider that setting, as if it were a master-engage switch, but you have to then use the method to 'slave' the mode to your present game usage.  I have found that there two ways that Game Mode interacts with you, depending on what's running.  It might come up, within the Game Bar as 'run Game Mode with this game?', or you call up the Game Bar (WIN-G) and you are presented with the menu mask. You then go to SYSTEM (far right) button, and engage the Game Mode box, while running your game.  So, two different ways that Creative Update will handle this sub-routine.

Cheers,

Just wanted to post that I ran all my flight sims, and all their running support programs, and not one crashed, but ran beautifully with the new Creator Update version, and at the max FPS each one can generate on my system. I am also using nVidia's latest WHQL driver: 381.65

Also, there seemed with both XP10 and 11, to be no difference whatsoever, whether you had the Optimize Threads turned off, or set to Auto. No FPS difference, or smooth animation at all. So, I have left them to Auto, with this driver.

9 hours ago, jcjimmy said:

What is the link for the download? MS page says 11 Apr release.

Thanks.

Found it am downloading now from the windows Update page - took a while for it to show up.

There is no download link, just join the Windows Insider Program.
You chooses if you want to participate, agrees with fairly stubborn terms from Microsoft, and chooses the level, the day after the membership updates happen.
We are two days away from the official launch so the best thing to do is wait, if you join the Insider program today, and choose Fast Ring you will receive a version that is far beyond what will come on the 11th, and can have great headaches.
I alternate between Fast Ring and Release Preview, Release Preview never from headaches, it's pretty much the same official version.

Windows Insider short description program.

Fast Ring receives news, new programs to be released in a distant future. (Great possibilities of big problems)
Slow Ring receives what has already been tested and debugged by Fast Ring guinea pigs (smaller possibilities of big problems, in several occasions without problems)
Release Preview receives stuff that has already been tested and debugged by Fast and Slow Ring guinea pigs (zero risk)

João Alfreo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

13 hours ago, Dumont said:

There is no download link, just join the Windows Insider Program.
You chooses if you want to participate, agrees with fairly stubborn terms from Microsoft, and chooses the level, the day after the membership updates happen.
We are two days away from the official launch so the best thing to do is wait, if you join the Insider program today, and choose Fast Ring you will receive a version that is far beyond what will come on the 11th, and can have great headaches.
I alternate between Fast Ring and Release Preview, Release Preview never from headaches, it's pretty much the same official version.

Windows Insider short description program.

Fast Ring receives news, new programs to be released in a distant future. (Great possibilities of big problems)
Slow Ring receives what has already been tested and debugged by Fast Ring guinea pigs (smaller possibilities of big problems, in several occasions without problems)
Release Preview receives stuff that has already been tested and debugged by Fast and Slow Ring guinea pigs (zero risk)

João Alfreo

Or... you skip all that, and just download & run the upgrade assistant: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

So far, I notice absolutely no difference with XP11. I do believe that FSX benefited from it, however. No conclusive proof since I stopped seriously caring about FPS in FSX a long time ago. I've been flying the Superbug lately though, and the flight I took last night seemed butter smooth.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

9 hours ago, Jimmy RFR said:

Or... you skip all that, and just download & run the upgrade assistant: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

So far, I notice absolutely no difference with XP11. I do believe that FSX benefited from it, however. No conclusive proof since I stopped seriously caring about FPS in FSX a long time ago. I've been flying the Superbug lately though, and the flight I took last night seemed butter smooth.

Update Wizard worked for some, for others not.
I've been in the Insider Program for about 7 months, just switching between modes, so I passed information.
As for improvements in Game Mode, there are 3 proper chains, 1 did not differ, 2 improved, 3 worsened, in feedback from insider participant forums.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

I have not reached any conclusion yet as to performance using Win10 CE but the update went smoothly, even if it did take a while. I'm running the nV381.65 drivers with my GTX1060 6gb which, in my case, really seems to need Threaded Optimization off or XP11 will crash during loading, but this was the case before the Win10 update.

So far so good anyway, with no controller (basic Thrustmaster HOTAS) issues, or anything else so far.

I am using win 7 and some Asus utilities to maximize performance and these utils work great. The one good thing is that this thread may be one of many in the future. So drum roll................................................................................TWEAK FEVER!!:biggrin: