Sign in to follow this  
JamesIceland

Quick Intel 7700k Poll - Clock Speeds

Intel 7700k - what clock speeds can you reach? (rough poll)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If you own a 7700k, what is the max stable over clock can you reach?

• 4.6 GHz
    • 4.7 GHz
    • 4.8 GHz
    • 4.9 GHz
    • 5.0 GHz
    • 5.1 GHz
    • 5.2 GHz
    • 5.3 GHz
  2. 2. Is your CPU delidded?

• Yes
    • No

Just a quick rough poll to see what results people are getting - we can have our own Flight Sim Silicon Lottery results to share to the community!

I just fired up the new rig the other day and will not do any manual overclocking since it's out of my league, so I just let the bios on my Asus Z270 Mark 1 do the overclocking. 

I have a Corsair H100i V2 AIO cooler and it's stable at 4,9. (an overclock of 17%). If I find a nice tutorial on how to try overclocking  with this setup without risking damaging the CPU, I certainly could try it.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Define "Stable".

Mine is delidded and I run at 5GHz... unless I'm using AVX then it auto downclocks to 4.8 as it crashes at 5.

However, while setting it up, I didn't have any crashes at 5.1GHz, I just wasn't happy with the temps.

So, would my answer be 4.8, 5.0 or 5.1?

Or am I over thinking it? :wacko:

1 hour ago, iwebber said:

Define "Stable".

Mine is delidded and I run at 5GHz... unless I'm using AVX then it auto downclocks to 4.8 as it crashes at 5.

However, while setting it up, I didn't have any crashes at 5.1GHz, I just wasn't happy with the temps.

So, would my answer be 4.8, 5.0 or 5.1?

Or am I over thinking it? :wacko:

I guess just post the max your CPU runs at when at load, either through a bench mark (I personally used Realbench for 15 minutes) or when gaming/simming (my CPU pretty much stays at 5GHz) - it sounds like you have a potential 5.1GHz chip but then you say it crashes at 5GHz.

This is just a rough poll just to see where people have been able to get there 7700k to so we have a rough idea of how good the chips people have are. It's not scientific by any means! Just a curiosity.

Nice idea the poll James.

One thing though, of the percentages that reach a given overclock, we aren't going to know if they have delidded or not, as it's separate question. 

We aren't going to get a rough idea of how good the chips are without knowing if they've delidded.

Ideally the second question should be...

"if you own a delidded 7700K, what is the max stable overclock you can reach?"

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Nice idea the poll James.

One thing though, of the percentages that reach a given overclock, we aren't going to know if they have delidded or not, as it's separate question. 

We aren't going to get a rough idea of how good the chips are without knowing if they've delidded.

Ideally the second question should be...

"if you own a delidded 7700K, what is the max stable overclock you can reach?"

1 hour ago, westman said:

Ht , on or off 

Silicon lottery settings ?

Both good points - honestly, just wanted to get a very basic idea of what people are achieving - wasn't sure how to correlate between the clock speed and those who have delidded so separated the questions. 

I guess we will get a rough idea of what people are achieving clock speed wise AND what percentage of everyone has delidded their CPU. Not perfect but interesting to see. 

is there really much of a speed boost to be obtained by delidding ?

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

36 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

is there really much of a speed boost to be obtained by delidding ?

15 to 30 degree reduction in temp. If you manage a couple of hundred megahertz extra, it's what, 4%. So at 30 frames per second 1.2 frames per second. 

Or, if you're at 5 GHz and seeing a toasty 95 degrees, then 65 degrees is very welcome. Not that you "really" need 5 GHz. But overclockers don't want to hear that Kevin. :laugh:

They know it's true, but the contradictory urge to achieve 5 GHz is strong. It's a kind of cognitive dissonance thing. :biggrin: Mental stress ensues followed by forum meltdowns. 

As I said in the other thread...

"If we're honest with ourselves, we don't need that extra few hundred megahertz. Again, if we're honest with ourselves, it's really just about fun, and sense of achievement."

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

15 to 30 degree reduction in temp. If you manage a couple of hundred megahertz extra, it's what, 4%. So at 30 frames per second 1.2 frames per second. 

Or, if you're at 5 GHz and seeing a toasty 95 degrees, then 65 degrees is very welcome. Not that you "really" need 5 GHz. But overclockers don't want to hear that Kevin. :laugh:

They know it's true, but the contradictory urge to achieve 5 GHz is strong. It's a kind of cognitive dissonance thing. :biggrin: Mental stress ensues followed by forum meltdowns. 

As I said in the other thread...

"If we're honest with ourselves, we don't need that extra few hundred megahertz. Again, if we're honest with ourselves, it's really just about fun, and sense of achievement."

yes I agree, I've just taken delivery of a 7700K and pondering the options.  I'd like to delid for the curiosity factor (I assume I wont need to since my old 2500K @4.7 was pretty good enough mostly) but I also cant afford to bork the chip and have to buy another....  :(

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

18 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

yes I agree, I've just taken delivery of a 7700K and pondering the options.  I'd like to delid for the curiosity factor (I assume I wont need to since my old 2500K @4.7 was pretty good enough mostly) but I also cant afford to bork the chip and have to buy another....  :(

Why not wait till the Delid Die Mate 2 is available then Kevin.  Reduces the risk factor quite a lot. Or grab the original Die Mate from OCUK.

40 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Why not wait till the Delid Die Mate 2 is available then Kevin.  Reduces the risk factor quite a lot. Or grab the original Die Mate from OCUK.

i had considered that martin - getting the lid off is the easy part I think, what to do with it and how afterwards is the part that concerns me as I've heard different solutions from various people, with vastly differing success/failure stories!

My heart says try delidding but my head says give it a miss....

xaP1VAU.png

2 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

i had considered that martin - getting the lid off is the easy part I think, what to do with it and how afterwards is the part that concerns me as I've heard different solutions from various people, with vastly differing success/failure stories!

My heart says try delidding but my head says give it a miss....

Liquid Pro or Ultra, let the lid float. Done. Coat die and underneath IHS. Should be minus 15 to 30 degrees.

Some use Thermal Grizzly Liquid Metal.

Or, if you insist on reattaching the IHS, just a very small dab of silicone. 

What confuses you. 

what confuses me?

a) what product to use (partly answered)

b) how to apply it - heard of people putting too much or too little on, and to apply in a pattern or a big blob? (Im guesing one central blob to reduce chances of air pockets?)

c) whether to glue the lid back on, if so using what glue, how? (see vgbatons thread a cpl of days ago re pitfalls with this!)

d) how do I know whether my cooler will support the cpu height variation when delidded or not? :s 

e) is all this hassle worth it, factoring in another £40 for the delid tool, some liquid metal and shipping, for a few degrees temp?

xaP1VAU.png

I'm not sure I can contribute accurately just yet.

At the moment my 7700k is running at 4.8ghz on air with temps under 80 during benchmarking. So in some ways the answer is 4.8 but I still don't yet know if it will go higher. I will wait until I get a graphics card before I shoot higher but I would like to think 5ghz is there.

Johnny Crockett
7700K @5ghz | Asus GTX 1070 | G.Skill 16GB 3600 | P3D V4