Sign in to follow this  
JamesIceland

Quick Intel 7700k Poll - Clock Speeds

Intel 7700k - what clock speeds can you reach? (rough poll)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. If you own a 7700k, what is the max stable over clock can you reach?

• 4.6 GHz
    • 4.7 GHz
    • 4.8 GHz
    • 4.9 GHz
    • 5.0 GHz
    • 5.1 GHz
    • 5.2 GHz
    • 5.3 GHz
  2. 2. Is your CPU delidded?

• Yes
    • No

8 hours ago, johnnycrockett said:

I'm not sure I can contribute accurately just yet.

At the moment my 7700k is running at 4.8ghz on air with temps under 80 during benchmarking. So in some ways the answer is 4.8 but I still don't yet know if it will go higher. I will wait until I get a graphics card before I shoot higher but I would like to think 5ghz is there.

Don't worry too much - once you have an idea what the highest working number is for you, just add your vote :-)

Albeit with only a few votes so far and this being a rough poll, about 50% of us can get to 5.0Ghz or above. 

15 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

what confuses me?

a) what product to use (partly answered)

b) how to apply it - heard of people putting too much or too little on, and to apply in a pattern or a big blob? (Im guesing one central blob to reduce chances of air pockets?)

c) whether to glue the lid back on, if so using what glue, how? (see vgbatons thread a cpl of days ago re pitfalls with this!)

d) how do I know whether my cooler will support the cpu height variation when delidded or not? :s 

e) is all this hassle worth it, factoring in another £40 for the delid tool, some liquid metal and shipping, for a few degrees temp?

a) Coollaboratory Liquid Pro for lowest temp. Liquid Ultra slightly higher temp but easier to apply. Thermal Gizzly Liquid Metal somewhat lower still but still viable. 

b) Spread minimal amount on die. Also spread minimal amount on IHS. Do not use the blob method. See the fantastic post re 3770K delidding that Max did. Sticky at the top of the forum. Same principle. (Unfortunately Max's images have vanished) Loads of videos on YouTube.

c) No, not necessary, leave to float. 

d) It will. It's small. 

e) You said you had the urge to do it out of curiosity. So for you to decide. Not a few degrees, up to 30 degrees drop in temp. Frame rate increase as a result of the higher overclock minimal. However, one possible advantage is reduced CPU degradation and increased lifespan due to lower temp. CPU lifespan is measured in thousands of hours of course, so not a big deal. Again, for you to decide.

With my 6700K I decided against it, if I do in the future it will be for the fun of it, out of curiosity, as you. It's up to you, your decision, your risk factor to determine.

For the record I've got cooling headroom to hit 5.3 if I want, but I know it will require close to 1.5V given voltage scaling of this chip.  No way I'm doing that 24x7.  

FWIW, I bit the bullet on my new Z270 build and combined an Asus ROG Maximus IX Extreme with a delidded 5.2Ghz 7700K from Silicon Lottery and my loop keeps everything at or below 58C during extended AIDA64 runs. Longest run was just short of 28 hours. I'm still tweaking with the system and have yet to install any sims or games on it, but so far it looks promising. 

Personally, after everything I have read about the 7700K running hot, it's a no brainer to delid it. Yet I had a professional do it as while I could manage it, the process was only another $40 when purchasing the CPU. The delidding process seems pretty straightforward though. 

Matt Bernard
20+ Years Commercial/GA A&P/PLST

On ‎10‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, martin-w said:

a) Coollaboratory Liquid Pro for lowest temp. Liquid Ultra slightly higher temp but easier to apply. Thermal Gizzly Liquid Metal somewhat lower still but still viable. 

b) Spread minimal amount on die. Also spread minimal amount on IHS. Do not use the blob method. See the fantastic post re 3770K delidding that Max did. Sticky at the top of the forum. Same principle. (Unfortunately Max's images have vanished) Loads of videos on YouTube.

c) No, not necessary, leave to float. 

d) It will. It's small. 

e) You said you had the urge to do it out of curiosity. So for you to decide. Not a few degrees, up to 30 degrees drop in temp. Frame rate increase as a result of the higher overclock minimal. However, one possible advantage is reduced CPU degradation and increased lifespan due to lower temp. CPU lifespan is measured in thousands of hours of course, so not a big deal. Again, for you to decide.

With my 6700K I decided against it, if I do in the future it will be for the fun of it, out of curiosity, as you. It's up to you, your decision, your risk factor to determine.

ok I dived in, delid tool, cleaning kit and liquid pro ordered...   :O  wish me luck!

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Good luck Kevin. I'm sure it will all go swimmingly.

Be sure to let us know how much the temp drops.

On 4/13/2017 at 11:09 PM, N405GJ said:

FWIW, I bit the bullet on my new Z270 build and combined an Asus ROG Maximus IX Extreme with a delidded 5.2Ghz 7700K from Silicon Lottery and my loop keeps everything at or below 58C during extended AIDA64 runs. Longest run was just short of 28 hours. I'm still tweaking with the system and have yet to install any sims or games on it, but so far it looks promising. 

Personally, after everything I have read about the 7700K running hot, it's a no brainer to delid it. Yet I had a professional do it as while I could manage it, the process was only another $40 when purchasing the CPU. The delidding process seems pretty straightforward though. 

Congrats on the upgrade, hope you enjoy.  Can't agree with the price you paid though.  5GHz is a virtual guarantee for a $300-350 chip (depending on where you buy), the extra 4% clockspeed is just that - an extra 4%.  You pretty much paid double for that 4%.  

• Upvote 1

Got my rig built over Easter but didn't receive my new Thermaltake Water 3.0 CPU cooler till Tuesday.

Installed it that night & then tried some overclocks last night (Wednesday). Didn't have too much time to spend but got what appears to be a stable 5Gz clock at 1.335V. Fell over at 1.30 but was happy at 4.9Gz at that voltage.

Will see where I can get to with 1.35v before I post poll results.

Temps peaked @ 78C on a couple of the cores. Mainly fluctuated between high 60's & low 70's during stress test.

Have installed to an Asus Maximus IX Hero MB in a Thermaltake Chaser1 case.

Looking forward to getting P3D & FSX up & running!!

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

I feel I might also have to go down the delid option soon. Using the Kraken x62 AIO cooler at idle i am sitting around 45C. If I run some stress tests it can be in the high 80's and sometimes low 90's. I have resat the cooler a few times and always the same results.

From EGFF to YSSY

That does seem a bit high Barry.

I'm in Brissie & temps here are mild at the moment but my idle is high twenties, low thirties.

Stress test at default clock was in the sixties.

I would expect better as your Kraken cooler should be up to the task from what Iv'e seen of them.

Might do the delid myself further down the track. Would get a tool though & use it on my old 4770K as well which my son now has. It could get to 4.5Gz during cooler months but was more comfortable at 4.3Gz most of the time. Wasn't a real good one so could benefit from a delid most likely.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

One thing when i run a stress test such as prime95 it literally goes from 45c to 98c in a split second - is that really even possible? I cant run those stress tests for too long for fear of causing damage.

From EGFF to YSSY

2 hours ago, razalom said:

One thing when i run a stress test such as prime95 it literally goes from 45c to 98c in a split second - is that really even possible? I cant run those stress tests for too long for fear of causing damage.

See below.

8 hours ago, razalom said:

I feel I might also have to go down the delid option soon. Using the Kraken x62 AIO cooler at idle i am sitting around 45C. If I run some stress tests it can be in the high 80's and sometimes low 90's. I have resat the cooler a few times and always the same results.

Just found this that you posted in another thread...

Wow wish my i7 7700k was as cool as yours. At idle I sit around 45C and under load its goes high 80's even on stock at 4.2. Overclocking seems to make no difference as I can run it at 4.8 and have the same temps. I have re-sat the x62 a few times and get the same results each time.

Whats your fan cure set to? Are the fans ramping down at idle, thus higher temp? Have you adjusted the fan curves? Is the voltage and frequency dropping at idle as they should do?

Your 7700K Turbo's to 4.5 GHz, so 4.8 is a very small overclock. Probably why you see little difference in temp when overclocking.

I wouldn't advise you to run Prime95. Prime95 (dependant on settings) will run AVX instruction sets. When that happens you CPU will apply additional voltage and the temp will rocket. You can set an off-set in the BIOS to compensate for AVX. Did you do that?

Set those fan curves, and try running ReaslBench. RealBench is a non-synthetic stress test that's more akin to how we really use our PC's.

• Upvote 1

I have as a test set my fan and pumps to 100% to see if that counters it but it just doesnt seem to.

OK cheers will give RealBench a test, only thought that was for Asus ROG MB's before.

From EGFF to YSSY

Nope. you can use RealBench, no problem.

It's possible the cooler is faulty. Do you have another cooler you can test with?

See how you go with RealBench.

Also make sure you have the latest BIOS.

Measure temp with RealTemp or CoreTemp as I said. And only one temp measuring utility at at time.