Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Anyone managed to get this kind of water in P3D?

Below is a clip I uploaded back when I was still using FSX with DX10SF and AS2012 waves.

To me this water still looks very realistic and I wish there was a way to get the same kind of water and effects in P3D but so far I haven't managed to so was wondering if anyone else in here has any tips?

Currently I have the water detail in P3D set to the far right and I'm also using ENVTEX and PTA with one of the presets provided by the developers of ENVTEX called Maxime Natural. In ENVTEX I'm using Set 2 for all water textures and Set 1 for the waves. Haven't had the time to play around testing all of the different options so maybe the real gem is yet to be found in there somewhere only that I didn't find it already...

Here's the clip and pay extra attention between 00:45-01:00 where I think the water looks almost like IRL with the white, foaming caps on the waves etc.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

Nope.. P3D broke the water that was in FSX. P3D uses another technology for their water which looks good over 5 feet over the water but makes it all crappy when you are above 1000 feet without sun reflections.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have a similar addon setup to WebMaximus, and I think the water looks *a bit* better now than during former Prepar3d versions and setups. Anyway, I am afraid there is no way to get back the water shown in that clip.

But wait! Prepar3d4 is around the corner. I am sure LM heard our wishes and devoted some extra manpower to water even surpassing FSX.:happy:

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Yeah, too bad since I really liked the water seen in the clip.

Richard Åsberg

1 hour ago, WebMaximus said:

Yeah, too bad since I really liked the water seen in the clip.

Thanks for the memories... agreed... have tried lots of different things in P3D... nothing looks like FSX (DX10) for water.  But, the positives of P3D FAR outweigh those great water textures in FSX.  So we keep on keeping on... :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

WAT1460.png

I recall, there was also a great freeware water shader injector or configurator or whatever it was called for FSX which was promised to be taken to Prepar3d one day but never arrived here.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I fully agree the development of P3D and the improvement over FSX has been overall great but again water at least to me is an important factor and I really do hope we'll see that improved further down the road.

• Upvote 1

Richard Åsberg

I keep water detail comletely off in P3D options. Looks the most realistic to me. But as you say, FSX water looked way better. I also miss it. 

Update...

I played with PTA some more hours and got some very nice results. I'm surprised.

Will share screens and settings hopefully tomorrow when i have time.

Now my wife told me to better sleep... (3am):blink:

29 minutes ago, tremor595 said:

Update...

I played with PTA some more hours and got some very nice results. I'm surprised.

Will share screens and settings hopefully tomorrow when i have time.

Now my wife told me to better sleep... (3am):blink:

I'm having very acceptable results in P3Dv3.4 after playing with PTA too. I'll suggest others to do the same. PTA is by far a wonderful application, a must have for P3D.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Would love to hear what settings you guys are using.

Richard Åsberg

hi WebMaximus

i have same problem as you and a lot of others in p3d 

water is bad in p3d 3.4 tried different settings envtex rex etc cant seem to get to look realistic

i do use pta and must admit i dont play around with pta settings usually use latest from adam

would love to see other simmers settings where water is realistic

jeff storey

I hope LM would drop the water technology they are using P3D v3.x in the next version. This is not a boat simulator...I understand this may be good for Sea plane and carrier landings...but the primary thing is aviation from above 2000 feet

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter