Sign in to follow this  
haseen

Realism Comparison: Carenado Twin Turboprops.

Dear:

I presently have Majestic Dash 8 Q400, PMDG Jetstream 41 and Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended.

Among the following Carenado Twin Turboprop planes which one is the best in respect of system realism, autopilot, flight dynamics:

1. Piper PA31 Cheyenne II

2. Dornier DO 228-100

3. Beechcraft B1900D?

If you have suggestions of any other publisher are welcome.

Regards,

Haseen Ahmad

I can't speak for the planes you mentioned (my bet would be on the Dornier though), but you might want to look at Flysimware's Cessna 441 Conquest II and Mitsubishi MU-2B, or the Razbam SA227-BC Metroliner, too.

But I would say they play in a different league compared to the MJC Q400 (and I'm assuming the Pro edition here), e.g. only very basic failure modeling. Of the ones I listed, the C441 is my favourite aircraft.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your reply ThomasAH. Ya, it is Q400 Pro Edition.

Haseen.

I'd agree with Thomas.  The Carenado turbo prop offerings are in a different league to the aircraft you currently have.  They use more or less default simulator characteristics for simulating the turbo prop engines and are far from realistic on many counts.    They can still be very enjoyable but realism unfortunately doesn't come in to it.

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

You'd be far better off with the FlySimWare Cessna C441 Conquest II if you want a realistic twin for FS, it ain't as pretty as Carenado/Alabeo, but it is the better choice for realism.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I heavily recommend the Carenado's Shrike AC500 in terms of textures rendition and overall quality, but I really lack of knowledge about if its dynamics are similar to the real counterpart. The Carenado's version performs extremely well also in terms of FPS and VAS (due to its overall system's simplicity) and flies wonderfully. By the way, Carenado recently announced the development of the streched AC version (turbo props).

I agree with previous comments about the comparison with the Q400, PMDG's Jetstream and TO, that won't apply.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Now that there is a good mix of alternatives for twin turboprops, I'd like to throw in two four-engined suggestions: A2A's two Captain of the Ship aircraft (Lockheed 049 Constellation and Boeing 377 Stratocruiser) are definitely in the same league as the Q400. From these two I have only flown the B377 (make sure to buy the bundle with Caption of the Ship), the L-049 is the newer one.

Thanks to the help of their co-pilot and engineer, they are well managable, despite their complex systems. Just be aware that you won't have a sophisticated auto-pilot, if this matters to you.

Oh, and how could I forget the MilViz P-38 Red Bull, which is now free! You would only have to pay for the military variant. In quality it is comparable to the other twin turboprops I mentioned above, but the price is obviously a bit better :)

Since the Real Air Turbine Duke was taken off the market, there really are no other turboprops available in the Q400 / J41 / Twin Otter Extended league. Although I don't have the Cheyenne, the other two Carenado aircraft you mentioned are quite good and I find the Do228 very enjoyable to fly but do not expect the systems depth you have grown used to with the Q400.

Bill

Carenado used to have one of the best FDE creators but he left and even the planes he created, Carenado never did real system modelling. The only airplane from Carenado that is semi realistic is the Pilatus but you have to add the engine mod from Autogyro and he has not updated it for the latest Pilatus version just released. Flysimware is RealAir quality but a small step back texture modelling.

The Carenado C90GTX with a GTN750 conversion makes for a very airplane also.

• Upvote 1

Bert

5 hours ago, scianoir said:

Since the Real Air Turbine Duke was taken off the market, there really are no other turboprops available in the Q400 / J41 / Twin Otter Extended league.

You have forgotten the excellent Flight1 King Air B200: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=f1b200fsx

• Upvote 3

Greetings
Tim

My files in the Avsim File Library | Flightsim.to

i5 12600K | 32Gb | RTX 4080

9 minutes ago, Tim-HH said:

You have forgotten the excellent Flight1 King Air B200: http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=f1b200fsx

I was just about to add this one.  If you are interested please check out the video series that one user has uploaded to YouTube.  He is a RW pilot (although I am not sure on type) but he is very knowledgeable.

Part 1 of 4.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000