Sign in to follow this  
paul123

Another new build for X plane 11, dog recked computer !!!

Hi

My dog sat on the USB ports which were connected to my hard drives the other day and I think she has blown something on the motherboard as the ports do not work anymore and the cpu is working at 100% constantly..... grrrrrrr.  Anyway I think technology has moved on enough anyway for me to upgrade from my i5 2500k and 560ti card. I want to base the system around a 6700k and 1070 graphics card, can anyone recommend a decent mid range board and how many Gb of memory would you recommend ? Any other tips would be most valuable. Thanks in anticipation.

If you do not intend to build it yourself:

http://jetlinesystems.com/

I have purchased 2 systems from them. Not enough good can be said about the people and the product. As a matter of fact I am in contact with them now for my next new PC.  

16 hours ago, paul123 said:

Hi

My dog sat on the USB ports which were connected to my hard drives the other day and I think she has blown something on the motherboard as the ports do not work anymore and the cpu is working at 100% constantly..... grrrrrrr.  Anyway I think technology has moved on enough anyway for me to upgrade from my i5 2500k and 560ti card. I want to base the system around a 6700k and 1070 graphics card, can anyone recommend a decent mid range board and how many Gb of memory would you recommend ? Any other tips would be most valuable. Thanks in anticipation.

Why not go for Kaby Lake, 7700K. Overclocks for many to 5 GHz without too much trouble. All the latest features of the new platform.

• Upvote 1

I would also go 7700K.  OP - I'm in the same boat, except I have the flawed GTX 970 from two years ago.

Z270 Asus ROG Formula Code, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Did a dual boot with 3 ssd 2 500gb as os disks x-plane11 and p3d the third 1tb for ortho4xp.

Wy i have dual boot is run sli on the p3d and a specific nvidia driver.

The x-plane11 run another nvidia driver and sli disabled , and no risk for mess up things xplane p3d.

I run same 5.2ghz 7700k with 32gb 4x8gb sticks 3600mhz c15. Gpu 2x 1080 strix.

Not sure if a shall go for a single 1080ti better for xplane and worse for p3d sli works really well 

32gb not really needed for xplane and it's cpu bound as p3d no need for 6-10 cores amd or Intel , both xplane and p3d scale on ipc and clockspeed.

It's my observations I am very new to XP.

Thanks for the advice. Think you have persuaded me to go for the 7700k. Now I have to decide on a motherboard. Does anyone rate the asus 270 boards apart from Ryan:biggrin:?? I am looking at a midrange board around £150. Asus ROG Strix Z270F is around £160

Gone ahead and ordered it. Going to try and build it myself. Hopefully there are enough videos on YouTube. ...