Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

Direct to new waypoint procedure

Hi folks,

I just wanted to know what the exact procedure is when one is cleared by a controller directly to a new waypoint when one is already flying in LNAV. Would you go into heading hold, wait for PM to set the new waypoint, confirm it, get him to press execute and then go into LNAV? Or would you just stay in LNAV, get him to set it/confirm/execute and just watch the aircraft turn to the new waypoint? I'm just thinking that although it is important to verify that you're going to the right place, the rigmarole of going into HDG HOLD, verifying the new point, asking PM to EXECUTE, selecting LNAV and then verifying LNAV on the FMA would be far too cumbersome, especially at points of high workload  such as initial climb out of Heathrow.

If I haven't explained my question well enough I shall be happy to rephrase it

1 hour ago, rondon9898 said:

Or would you just stay in LNAV, get him to set it/confirm/execute and just watch the aircraft turn to the new waypoint?

This the procedure I would use.

As always, depends.  Is the fix I've been cleared to in my planned route already?  Is the heading change less than 30 degrees?

There is no one best way to do this, as you said in a busy environment you'll have different priorities than at cruise levels.  However, I prefer to use HDG to manage large changes given the chance.

Dan Downs KCRP

Unless there is a very large track change (i.e. >90 degs) keep it simple by staying A/P coupled in LNAV.

Assuming the desired waypoint already exisits further on in the FMS Active Route then, on the LEGS page line select the desired waypoint into the scratchpad and over-write the exisiting waypoint in LSK 1L position.  Check the ND (white amended track line) to make sure the FMC will take you in the right direction then when you are happy with it press the EXEC key to make the amended route leg active (magenta track).  When you are settled on the revised track you can tidy up the HDG cursor to agree with the drift angle.  If the new waypoint doesn't exist on the active route then you will have to input it into the scratchpad and select it into the LSK 1L position as before.  Close up any route discontinuity taking care to remove any existing waypoints that might take you back in the wrong direction!

Bertie Goddard 

What Berts said happens extensively.

Keep it simple, confirm then execute..

Darren Howie