Sign in to follow this  
ronnay

priority with fsx scenery

good day everybody,

I have a question with my scenery list. in youre fsx settings, you can choose what scenery addon you want to put at numer 1,2,3 etc.. and i don't know what to put at 1,2,3 etc. what rankordering do i have to do? I'm using ftx global, innsbruck airport (ORBX), flytampa amsterdam and dubai, aerosoft heatrhow extended. do I have to put the ftx global firtst or the airport scenery?

thanks in advanced for youre help!

Probably would not hurt to have FTX Global up at the top.  Make sure all other ORBX scenery

is just under that and all of the other payware stuff below ORBX and on top of default scenery.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

It depends on what you are referring to with FTX Global as there are a few products under that name. For instance, FTX Global base is a global texture replacement that doesn't have any scenery files and therefore  it's not added to the library at all. Have a good read of the ORBX user guide for the product you have as it should have the proper layering info.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

If you have installed the latest version of FTX Central, you can use it to choose the point of insertion for your FTX sceneries in the Scenery Library. FTX Central will then position all of your FTX purchases in the correct order within that FTX scenery group in the Scenery Library. As FTX Global does not need a Scenery Library entry and you only seem to have one other Orbx/FTX product (Innsbruck), you can add that wherever you wish in the library provided it is above the default entries. I would however use FTX Central to choose the insertion point so that if you add any additional Orbx/FTX products in the future you don't need to worry about where the entries should be inserted.

Bill

In general, think of it like this. Things that are "big" go close to the bottom, and the "little" details go closer to the top.

For example, single add-on airports are the "smallest" piece of scenery. They go up top because all of the larger pieces have to be in place under them. A single airport shows on top of all of the other scenery layers.  

An Orbx region would be a "medium" piece. It builds upon the layers below it. It would show under any add-on airports you might have in that area, but above the continent in which the region resides. 

The base scenery for each continent ("Eastern North America", "Western North America", "South America") are large pieces. These build upon the "generic world" pieces below. 

The default  scenery files ("Base", 0000 through 1107) as well as FTX Vector have global coverage, and would be jumbo pieces. They are the base layer. If these were accidentally put on top of the library, they would cover all of the other pieces like a big blanket, and hide them all. 

I always stick Orbxlibs above everything Orbx, but under every other companies' airports. 

I envision it like this. There is only one order in which you can lay out a beach towel, a bath towel, a hand towel, a dish towel, and a face cloth so that you can see them all. Big ones on the bottom, small ones up top. Scenery areas work the same way. If you put the beach towel on top, it is the only one you will see. 

• Upvote 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Similarly any meshes should be below any textures.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I think meshes are the exception to the rule in that you can put them anywhere you want to in the scenery list and they won't overlay anything. Mesh is just elevation data that FSX uses, not graphics that get displayed on the screen. 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Just for clarification as I get easily confused these days! When you say "above" that means the lower number i.e. immediately after Addon Scenery. When you say below, that means the higher numbers in the scenery.cfg list. Is that correct??? :blush: The last entry in the list is the "highest" ???? As I am about to do yet another reinstall (after my computer being out of commission for weeks) I want to get this one right!!! LOL

Correct. The ones at the top of the list with the lowest numbers in the scenery configuration are the highest priority. The ones at the bottom with higher numbers have lower priority. 

I use TweakFS-FSX Config Toolbox enabling me to control the scenery cfg. Orbx USA works perfectly well lower down the order thus enabling me to control it and my Europe add-on scenery to Default which as a personal choice I prefer.

Echofox