Sign in to follow this  
rafikihd

FSX and Logbook.BIN

Hello Guys,

I know its kinda late, but I recently moved to FSX. Anyways, lately I´ve been having this issue where FSX freezes on the Splash Screen. All over the web I´ve read that deleting the file Logbook.BIN and letting FSX create a new one once its started could be the solution and it actually is. So I delete the file, start FSX again and it fires up. The issue now is, everytime I shut down my computer then I turn it on and want to start FSX the same issue appears and I have to start the procedure all over loosing all my logbook data.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Rafa H

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

Are you closing FSX before shutting down your computer?  You're not shutting down the computer

mid-flight are you?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

22 minutes ago, charliearon said:

Are you closing FSX before shutting down your computer?  You're not shutting down the computer

mid-flight are you?

Hi Charlie,

Yes, Im closing FS as usual, Im not shutting down the PC while on mid-flight

SIM: P3DV5.3 CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.0GHz GPU: GTX1060 6GB  OS: Windows 10 64Bits RAM: XPG DDR3 1600 16GB (2x 8GB) Display: Samsung LC27JG50QQLXZX 27´

OK, that's good news!  Has it always done this or is this something new that just developed?  Any new

installed aircraft or scenery or 3rd party programs that may be causing the logbook.bin to become

corrupted?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your help.

Well, since I just moved to FSX I installed plenty of add-on´s including aircraft, sceneries and utilities, so it would be a matter of finding out the exact add-on that is causing this problem.

Also, when FSX starts (The times it has started) also this issue came up that when reloading anything the sim freezes on loading screen, specifically during loading traffic. But I dont know if it is caused by the same issue of the logbook.

Thanks,

Best Regards

In the AVSIM Library there is a logbook recovery tool you can use - https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=logbook&FileName=*log*.zip&Author=&CatID=fsx

You will need to be logged into the Library.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your answer. I´ve actually tried that before, but the Logbook Recovery program tells me everytime that it couldnt find anything wrong or wrong entries in my logbook, although deleting it does fix the problem.

Thanks, 

Best Regards,

Rafa

You aren't editing the logbook from within FSX are you? There is a serious flaw with the edit function for the logbook in FSX and can cause it to become corrupt, ending in the same symtoms you are seeing.

Usually the issue doesn't occur if one only edits the vary LAST entry but editing any ofther entry is a sure way to get a corrupt logbook.bin file.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Hello Paul,

Thanks for your answer.

Well Actually I have´t even had the chance of modifying the Logbook. So no, I didn´t modify any entry in the Logbook. 

Rafa

Another thought. Are you running FSX 'as Administrator'? The logbook.bin is in your Documents folder and there should not be a permissions issue but it doesn't hurt to try the run as admin.

I sure can't think of what else may be involved here as any time in the past that someone had those 'hung on the splash screen' it was due to the editing of the logbook and subsequent corruption.

You might try Googling those symptoms and see what pops up.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Hello Paul,

Yes, I run FSX as administrator. I´ve actually tried googling, most of the solutions says either use the FSX Log program (Which for me is useless) or Delete the Logbook.bin file and let FSX re-build a new one. But now my FSX doesn´t seem to be creating a new .bin file when I try to run it.

Personally I would save my fsx.cfg file then delete the original and restart. 

Hi Mithras,

Thanks for the advice, I will try that, and let you know.

On the other side, don´t really know what the deal is with my FSX.

I ran the FSX Log program showed no corrupted file pop up, closed it, tried to start FSX again, no success. Restarted my PC (For like the second time) ran FSX directly magically did fired up this time. So, now I dont know, it may be a logbook corrupted entry, or it may be not.

Don´t know, its really driving me crazy.

This might be too simplistic but sometimes simple things get overlooked. I was getting freezes (or so I thought) on the splashscreen until I realised that I had error messages set to on, and many times an error message shows up BELOW the main screen so you dont see it and it just looks like a standard freeze.

Hover the cursor over FSX icon in task bar to see if 2 windows are open. If there is and you only see one,  then it will just mean the second window is waiting for an answer. 

Hi Robb,

Actually I don´t see any second window when I hover the cursor over the FSX Icon, when I hover over it the only thing I see is Microsoft Flight Simulator X and some times it has a parenthesis saying (Not responding) and sometimes it doesn´t.

Yesterday after 2:30 hrs of closing, opening, closing again opening again, restarting PC, etc magically it Fired up. But today it started happening again