Sign in to follow this  
Guest midibyte01

Running FS on a Mac

Guest midibyte01

In light of Steve Jobs MacWorld Keynote today...Come this time next year I will be running FS on my new Mac(which I have yet to get, mainly because it is not available yet). I will finally be liberated from this PC environment once and for all. I can already hear the angels singing.... The bummer of it all is that I still have to run Windows on my Mac. That might pose a whole other set of problems. Oh nevermind, the angel's voices are quickly fading away. Guess Im stuck!Scott

And what would you gain from running Windows on a PC built by Apple instead of (for example) Dell instead of a box that looks like it's congealed instead of built (sorry to everyone who likes their PCs half molten ;) ) and an empty bank account?I'd buy a Mac if I had a use for running MacOS (which may happen at some point) that made it worth the investment, but I'd not buy one just to install Windows on it.

To be honest, the first time I saw the new macs I though I was looking at a designer TV and not a computer. Considering the number of times I've had MacOS crash is equal the times I've had Windows crash, I haven't found much advantage.----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Very smart comment indeed. Also very convincing facts.I'd be more than happy to run FS on a platform that does not act like a virus and malware magnet and is much more stable. No more crappy drivers from incompetent hardware vendors etc. Alex

uh, the magnet is the user not the hardware.I've not had any virus, trojan, or spyware on any of my computers since 1995.

I always thought the Windows system that runs on a Mac was an emulator, which would impact frame rates, so there would be no advantage in running FS on a Mac.Although it can be argued that the Mac has a more stable and secure operating system, it is unfortunately not the system of choice, so that puts the price of software up.Mac also has the added advantage of a single hardware vendor which adds to more control of hardware problems.Ron

Ron Service

Apple is moving to Intel CPUs and PC hardware with their new range (albeit without doubt they're putting in some custom stuff to ensure you can only use hardware supplied by them).So essentially the next generation Apples ARE PCs and therefore can run Windows without an emulator.Will be interesting to see if the next release MacOS/X will also run on non-Apple hardware though (which btw is a violation of the OS/X license which states explicitly that the software may only be used on Apple hardware).

Bought a Mac G4 some 4 years ago. It has been running without any trouble at all since then, no hardware failure or driver related problems, no virus (no virus protection), lots of programs running (mostly music production and graphic design) that only crashes once in a blue moon.So, that's the kind of computers we morons prefer ;).Eagle

Guest midibyte01

This wasnt intended to start a Mac/PC war. PC users always want to seem to want that. I use both platforms, but find the problems to be quite a bit more on a PC. For example, since the last security update (how many is that this year now?) been having browswer stalls, out of virtual memory messages, browswers not opening at all and comes with a nice error messege. Funny thing, been happening on my desktop and laptop PCs since the update. Luckily I have a Mac thats always ready for action. I almost had to type this post on my mac cause I couldnt get to this forum. Finally worked after 2 browser restarts. As far as cost, dont know what you are talking about. They are not any more expensive than a mid to high end PC. Matter of fact, my desktop PC built for FS cost a tad more than my Mac. A previous poster was correct, with the new Intel based Macs, no emulation would be required. Just video drivers. Already been done on the developer Macs that were released last year. Yes, there are restrictions being placed on OS X that would make it unlawful to produce software to run OS X on a PC, but not the other way around. Apple supposedly stated that they would not try to stop anyone from running windows software of a mac. Someone mentioned that a Mac looks like a television. Huh? Yeah ok whatever. Guess you shouldnt get Vista then, so your PC wont look like a TV. Still, just take a look at all the posts here from people experiencing CTDs and many other hardware/software problems. However, I am able to run FS quite well on my PC(yeah, im knocking on wood)with no problems to speak of. The reason for me wanting to be able to run FS on my mac is because it would save me quite a bit of money. One top-of-the-line mac versus a mid level mac and a mid level PC. Macs have a higher resale value and lifespan. Truth is, I have spent way more money on PCs to run FS in the last 4 years than I have ever spent on macs in the same time frame. How much was my last PC worth after almost 2 years? Not even a nickel. Well, maybe a nickel. (Just got another Virtual Memory Low messege)Holy cow.Scott

Guest orenda635

>Bought a Mac G4 some 4 years ago. It has been running without>any trouble at all since then, no hardware failure or driver>related problems, no virus (no virus protection), lots of>programs running (mostly music production and graphic design)>that only crashes once in a blue moon.>>So, that's the kind of computers we morons prefer ;).>>EagleI agree. I've been using Macs for years without any problems.As for FS on a Mac, ain't gonna happen. Microsoft won't let Apple use DirectX. All games for Mac have to be in OpenGL, and it's unlikely Microsoft would release an OpenGL version, seeing they own DirectX.

*Uncle Owen* wrote:"macs for morons"My reply:None of that in these forums, understood?!!-John

A year ago, I finally took the plunge and bought an iBook just to see what the hype is all about with Macs. OSX didn't run more stable and it didn't show me any increase of performance. Really, besides OSX I didn't see any benefit of using a Mac and I ended up selling it again. In fact some features of OSX (especially printer support, driver support for a lot of my hardware) were absolutely horrendous compared to WinXP. Not no mention the lack of applications and games.Pat

Guest midibyte01

Some still insisting of talking about pros and cons of macs which is not what this thread was intended for. As for supporting DirectX 10...the apple OS doesnt need to support it, because Vista will, and Vista would be installed on the Mac as well. Get what I am talking about? It has already been done with windows XP. With the lack of video support, obviously it didnt look to good. Think of the mac as just being PC hardware, because it dang near is with Apple switching to intel.<>I find this difficult to believe actually. If someone said the same of a PC, PC evangelist would just say the user didn't know what they were doing. But I am not going to say that. But I will say this. My mac has connected to quite a few different printers over the years. Never a problem. Even get a nice little icon showing a picture of the exact printer in the Doc. As far as stabilily, how is this...I havent had to reinstall any software on any of my macs in 9 years. I can't say 10 years, but I can say 9. Im and just keeping my fingers crossed with my new PC. Scott