Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

AA Settings XP11? Help with jaggies

It's time I attacked this issue properly....  I'm seeing a lot of jaggies in XP11.  I only use default settings and 4xAA+SSAA is what I'm at.  8X helps a little but my fps drop about 10-20%.  I am running HDR.  Do you guys use in-game or nvidia inspector settings or nvidia control panel settings?

Here is a 1:1 crop of what I mean... the runways/terminal area etc looks especially jaggy.  Mostly distant objects are the worst (no surprise there)

1_1_jaggies.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I pretty much live with what I see. I usually run 4x as well.

The jaggies don't bother me as much as distant scenery shimmer, and luckily XP11 seems quite improved over XP10 in the regard. I used to have to run 8x AA in XP10 just to keep it from annoying me, whereas in XP11 I can tell it's there, but it's not bad enough to distract me.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Yes, it's definitely a per scenery problem.  The author of this scenery does a very nice job of modelling, but the jaggies appear worse compared with stock scenery.  Could be my older video card etc.  I'm just curious if other people use driver level mods like nvidia CP.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

5 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

It's time I attacked this issue properly....  I'm seeing a lot of jaggies in XP11.  I only use default settings and 4xAA+SSAA is what I'm at.  8X helps a little but my fps drop about 10-20%.  I am running HDR.  Do you guys use in-game or nvidia inspector settings or nvidia control panel settings?

Here is a 1:1 crop of what I mean... the runways/terminal area etc looks especially jaggy.  Mostly distant objects are the worst (no surprise there)

1_1_jaggies.jpg

Not sure what you are getting at Ryan.  Looking at this image, I don't see any jagged edges, but maybe that's due to the small image posted.  As far as using any external "help" for the gpu, I'd like to understand why there is a need for something like this in XP.  I ask, because I tried what you are questioning and saw no discernible difference.  If anything, I make some changes within the native nvidia CP, changing performance and multi to single monitor, but that's about it.  Seems like we are rehashing an old issue that was a hot topic for the likes of FSX and P3D.  If it hasn't been understood before, Laminar is still optimizing the engine (at Austin's request, per a post by Ben in his blog), so with that said, you may not be getting optimal visuals in your setup.  Back to your image, so while I don't see anything wrong with it, in fact, it looks great, maybe you're looking to hard?  I can attest that I do see some irregularities, as Jim Stewart pointed out, but nothing that distracts from the experience to a point where I would take issue.  This issue could simply be a difference that is seen between OpenGL for XP and DirectX, from previous sims.  I cannot confirm with certainty though if changes being made within the nvidia CP or nvidia inspector will have that much of an effect over an OpenGL-driven sim, compared to one with DirectX, and maybe that's why I don't see changes either...placebo effect?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

3 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Yes, it's definitely a per scenery problem.  The author of this scenery does a very nice job of modelling, but the jaggies appear worse compared with stock scenery.  Could be my older video card etc.  I'm just curious if other people use driver level mods like nvidia CP.

Would you enlighten the community with details on where you are, what you are flying as well?  You may be correct in that some developers don't take full advantage of the tools and features available to them for their scenery.  it could also be a quick and dirty port over from XP10 to XP11 as well.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I run 4x as well, because 2x gives very blurry text in the FF757v2 VC (which of course has a lot of small text and numbers). 8x is too much for my GPU (GTX 1070). I am tempted to try DSR because I always had great results in FSX with it. So I am very curious about your all findings!

Well maybe shimmery is the right word.  It's easier to tell in game and not just a screenshot.  The adjacent runway is a shimmering mess.  But you can see it from my shot... the white runway edge lines are segmented, like the centerlines of a road, where they should be solid white.  I've never tried DSR, wouldn't be a bad idea.  Except with these settings my GTX 970 is already maxed out on vram.

Oh, there is GPB500's KSNA airport, I think it was made for XP10.  It's not avail on the Org, it's donationware.  Highly recommended by the way.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

1 minute ago, ryanbatcund said:

The adjacent runway is a shimmering mess.  But you can see it from my shot... the white runway edge lines are segmented, like the centerlines of a road, where they should be solid white.

Yes, ok, now I see it.  It wasn't centered in the shot, so I assumed it was something to do with the aircraft or what was beneath it.  I get that effect at a minimum, and maybe that's due to my 4k screen, but I personally don't let it bother me.  What AA settings have you tried in XP11 as a test to see which looks the best?

All I've done is played with the AA slider... seems to be the only thing to affect it.  Since you're in 4k the affect should be far less than me in 1080P.  Maybe once I get a new system....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Just now, ryanbatcund said:

All I've done is played with the AA slider... seems to be the only thing to affect it.  Since you're in 4k the affect should be far less than me in 1080P.  Maybe once I get a new system....

Well I hate to say that resolution is a factor for a better experience, and shouldn't be a generalized excuse because the vast majority of simmers are running 1080p.  Perhaps a more plausible excuse would be that LR needs to break a lot more out of their "all inclusive" settings sliders.  To be honest, I've used 10 and 11, and I still liked that 10 had more settings broken out separately, sort of like an ala carte approach, rather than what ti is now.  I believe Ben has mentioned that feedback during the Beta was not the best in terms of how they structured the new UI.  I did try out a Lua based advanced settings feature (freeware at the org) but it totally wrecked my sim and I had to get rid of it.

I agree with you there...  I much preferred the XP10 settings.  I watched that long video Austin did after release.  Turns out some co-ceo from Google told him even he couldn't figure out the old GUI, so I guess that's a big reason why they made it "idiot proof" in XP11.  It's too dumbed down.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

2 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I agree with you there...  I much preferred the XP10 settings.  I watched that long video Austin did after release.  Turns out some co-ceo from Google told him even he couldn't figure out the old GUI, so I guess that's a big reason why they made it "idiot proof" in XP11.  It's too dumbed down.

Yes, too dumbed down would be a good way of putting it.  My first impression of the rollout of the new UI was that it mimicked the the UI of DTGFS.  That to me was the wrong direction for LR.  The old UI was a little too sterile, but it got the job done.  As for Austin's justification for the new UI, he was consulting the wrong person, given that this simulator is user driven, it should have been left up to the users to provide the right kind of feedback. :angry:

There are some tools at the org ("XP11 advanced settings", "rendering options for XP11") that try to give you more granular control. I haven't used them but some people seem to like them.

11 minutes ago, domae001 said:

There are some tools at the org ("XP11 advanced settings", "rendering options for XP11") that try to give you more granular control. I haven't used them but some people seem to like them.

My earlier post here mentions that and to be honest, it didn't do a whole lot better for the sim.  I'd much prefer to wait it out and see what LR has in store for their upcoming patch.