Hi all i have a few questions im currently thinking about building a custom button box with rotaries what i want to be able to do is control the autopilot with the rotaries.

what i want to do is have 4 rotaries setup

1.altitude increase and decrease on the autopilot panel

2.heading bug increase decrease

3.speed increase decrease

4.vs increase decrease

what kind of rotary switch would be best to do this and also could you please tell me where i can find the above functions within LINDA i have looked in the autopilot config page on it and everywhere else and i cant seem to find the above commands but know it can be done or do these need to be set through a axis with FSUIPC.

thanks

hayden

This is easily achievable with LINDA. I use Leo Bodnar BBI-32 controllers and also the rotaries sold by Leo Bodnar (CTS288V). This is not the only hardware solution but it is entirely painless. There are a couple of ways to do the software end in LINDA. Presuming you are intent on hooking up the default FSX functions, you can do it by looking in the default FSX library (I don't have LINDA open but it's one of the options in the library list). The problem with this is I think it is incomplete. The fool-proof way is to use the FSX event number instead of a library function (there's a different option for that on the menu). You can find out the event numbers from the tables in the SDK or in the FSUIPC documentation. If you want it to work with third-party autopilots you may need to do some aircraft-specific hacking, as they don't always use the default FSX functions.

You could start by checking out my Almost Aviation LINDA library, which has a set of default autopilot functions built in. It isn't a complete set or a perfectly-implemented set, but it should get you started. You can find it here. (You will have to be logged in to download the file.) The code is also listed in my eBook.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I only recently found out that LINDA works with these kinds of custom boards.  I haven't made one yet but I'm leaning toward the Arduino board.  It looks more complicated but looks like you get more bang for your buck and, from what I understand, can connect LED screens.  I haven't seen much of a guide or tutorial yet but someone posted this on another forum...

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30867

I have to say the Bodnar stuff looks really nice too.  Seems like a great solution and he is probably the best source for things like the dual concentric rotary encoders and some other things.

EDIT: Oh, and I picked up the book today.  Looks like a lot of good info and useful advice.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

On 4/11/2017 at 9:40 AM, MarkDH said:

This is easily achievable with LINDA. I use Leo Bodnar BBI-32 controllers and also the rotaries sold by Leo Bodnar (CTS288V). This is not the only hardware solution but it is entirely painless. There are a couple of ways to do the software end in LINDA. Presuming you are intent on hooking up the default FSX functions, you can do it by looking in the default FSX library (I don't have LINDA open but it's one of the options in the library list). The problem with this is I think it is incomplete. The fool-proof way is to use the FSX event number instead of a library function (there's a different option for that on the menu). You can find out the event numbers from the tables in the SDK or in the FSUIPC documentation. If you want it to work with third-party autopilots you may need to do some aircraft-specific hacking, as they don't always use the default FSX functions.

You could start by checking out my Almost Aviation LINDA library, which has a set of default autopilot functions built in. It isn't a complete set or a perfectly-implemented set, but it should get you started. You can find it here. (You will have to be logged in to download the file.) The code is also listed in my eBook.

I want to clarify one thing here if i may.

Rotary encoders acts as buttons or as axis . If they are acting like button then is my below understanding correct.

For every degree or so .clockwise turn of the encoder the same command gets sent again and again. if turned in anticlockwise direction, another command gets sent again and again?

IF rotary encoders acts as axis assignment . how do you assign contols to them via LINDA?.

FYI: i am trying to bulid a cockpit for my aerosft airbus .

Rotary encoder act like "buttons"/Switches only..Pulses. Potentiometer's are variable resistors used for axis's. Usual's 0-100K and output raw data of 0-16384. Pot's for axis's (Yoke, throttle, pedals etc). Encoder for changing heading, alt etc. for an AB AP, I would recommend push/pull encoders for.

Just now, Adrian123 said:

Rotary encoder act like "buttons"/Switches only..Pulses. Potentiometer's are variable resistors used for axis's. Usual's 0-100K and output raw data of 0-16384. Pot's for axis's (Yoke, throttle, pedals etc). Encoder for changing heading, alt etc.

OK guys. i got the point. Then things are easy  meaning, I can use linda module to assign controls for the airbus to the rotary encoder.

That solves the problem.

Many thanks guys for prompt assistance.

Ram, for building an Airbus MCU/ AP, all you need to be concerned with is Encoders and switches (monetary or spst). Looking at a Boeing right now but , AB uses two or three Push/pull encoders for multi function or 4 or 5 momentary or the like switches. I think something like that.

I built basically a King Air AP and use it universally. (Bonard 32) Though considering a dedicated Airbus AP as they uses the push/pull activation method.

Greetings Adrian,

Yes, the many of the buttons are encoders and switches. As things are planned , I am calculating that  two leobodnar pcb with 64 switches each should help me cover the airbus extended. I am thinking of replacing the potentiometer switches with encoders. Finding a way around to achieve it.

many thanks.

2 hours ago, ram123 said:

I am calculating that  two leobodnar pcb with 64 switches each should help me cover the airbus extended

You need to make sure you can use the BBI-64 to its full potential. As far as I know FSUIPC only support 32 buttons per HID.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

6 hours ago, MarkDH said:

You need to make sure you can use the BBI-64 to its full potential. As far as I know FSUIPC only support 32 buttons per HID.

Greetings ,

For the project ,I shall use the Linda module to assign controls for buttons and fsupic for axis assignment.

Regards,

8 hours ago, ram123 said:

For the project ,I shall use the Linda module to assign controls for buttons and fsupic for axis assignment.

Yes, but since LINDA is built on FSUIPC I am wondering which of FSUIPC's limitations it might inherit.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

5 hours ago, MarkDH said:

Yes, but since LINDA is built on FSUIPC I am wondering which of FSUIPC's limitations it might inherit.

Greetings,

The answer to your doubts is answered in the below post.

Regards,

Ram

1 hour ago, ram123 said:

The answer to your doubts is answered in the below post.

Except he's not sure :happy:

That said, it looks like com.gethidbuttons() (FSUIPC Lua function) returns up to 256 button states, so you're probably okay.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

20 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

Except he's not sure :happy:

That said, it looks like com.gethidbuttons() (FSUIPC Lua function) returns up to 256 button states, so you're probably okay.

Good to know . Now I shall continue to place order for the leobodnar 64 bbi.