Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 1500X & 1600X Review!

10 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Looks like an overall good CPU for the money, just not *the best* for flight sim.

And Intel's  7700K is NOT best for flight-sim either. Yes, it's better than a 2700K, but even at 5.0Ghz the 7700K is not enough to tickle FSX nor P3D and make it scream!  I just build a entire computer with an Intel 7700K  @ 5.0Ghz and fast RAM... and P3D was like: "Boooooooo.. sorry buddy.... I need more than this chip to make me happy." 

Unfortunately, that's where we stand!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joemiller said:

And Intel's  7700K is NOT best for flight-sim either. Yes, it's better than a 2700K, but even at 5.0Ghz the 7700K is not enough to tickle FSX nor P3D and make it scream!  I just build a entire computer with an Intel 7700K  @ 5.0Ghz and fast RAM... and P3D was like: "Boooooooo.. sorry buddy.... I need more than this chip to make me happy." 

But is the best just now, it's amazing how much cpu power the old FSX can take..

Remember when a bought FSX shortly after realease had a very good system AMD FX57 then a dual core FX60.

It was a complete slideshow revert back to fs2004 next tray was with conroe QX6700

18 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Looks like an overall good CPU for the money, just not *the best* for flight sim.

Yes, I agree. The price/performance ratio for gaming is excellent. May drop the 1500X in my daughters system, if I can find a decent mini ITX board.

Not the best for the sim as you say, but perhaps a consideration for those on a very tight budget.

12 hours ago, joemiller said:

I'm sorry you had an unsatisfying experience with your most recent upgrade.  However, this claim that the 7700k is not the best for flight sim is demonstrably false.  I have provided the evidence for this a number of times in this forum since upgrading to a 7700k and overclocking to 5.2GHz with 3.6GHz RAM.  If your experience varies, you're either doing it wrong, or your perception is skewed because you went into the endeavor with unrealistic expectations.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, TechguyMaxC said:

I'm sorry you had an unsatisfying experience with your most recent upgrade.  However, this claim that the 7700k is not the best for flight sim is demonstrably false.  I have provided the evidence for this a number of times in this forum since upgrading to a 7700k and overclocking to 5.2GHz with 3.6GHz RAM.  If your experience varies, you're either doing it wrong, or your perception is skewed because you went into the endeavor with unrealistic expectations.  

I'm afraid we are both measuring this chip within different perspectives:

--

-- 

• Upvote 1

On 4/14/2017 at 1:36 AM, joemiller said:

I'm afraid we are both measuring this chip within different perspectives:

--

-- 

What is a better cpu that is available right now for FSX/P3D?  I can't think of one.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

What is a better cpu that is available right now for FSX/P3D?  I can't think of one.

Since there's little to very little  difference  (for P3D and FSX) between a 2600, 2700, 7700, Ryzens, etc. etc, etc... any of those will work. People need to understand- and accept-- that there is no chip out there that will make FSX or P3D run at max, or near max settings and see no latency- there's none

And the  Intel 7700K is marely a chip that "just get's the job done."  However, it is not (not) what some folks in our community try to make it appear:  "Intel 7700K is the best chip for our sim." No, it is as ineffective as all the previous ones (thanks to Intel's greed and robbery)  To make our sims work very well, we need it to be multi-threaded and something of at least 6.5Ghz +  Do we have a 6.5Ghz out there for our sim? No!  So, we are back to:  

-- building 

-- upgrading

--  tweaking 

-- upgrading

-- Overclocking

--  tweaking................... For the past/next 15 years!   (unless we get a new capable sim or CPU, GPU, RAM etc.) 

• Upvote 1

Okay.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Have a 1600x after the weekend, 

Some one out here do sent accept the fact that's is 30% differenice in the sim 2700k and  to 7700k.

Iot bla bla, not testing at all, digg in the fsx mark tread only ting it's very little results on bad sim cpus aka Intel 6-10core

Shall give it a try, have no SandyB or Ivy today , the one a can test in fsx ( NO NEED FOR ACTIVATION)

Can run with a 1080 same settings on all  cpus, have this now 5960x, 4770k,4670k, 6700k,7700k, fx8370,1700 and next week 1600x,  

It's a lot of work , 

The difference to a 5ghz and 6.5ghz is less then 7700k to 2700k,  bet it's not OK 

Have a old 775 mobo and QX6700 think it's was up to date after realease of FSX

11 hours ago, joemiller said:

And the  Intel 7700K is marely a chip that "just get's the job done."  However, it is not (not) what some folks in our community try to make it appear:  

What on Earth does that mean? I haven't seen anyone claiming that the 7700K is the greatest CPU , the ultimate CPU that can nver be bettered. I've never seen "some folks" as you put it, calling it anything other than the best CPU for the sim CURRENTLY! In addition, I've not seen anyone claim it can do anything it can't. The advice you've been given here from people like me, Westman, Max has been accurate. 

Since there's little to very little  difference  (for P3D and FSX) between a 2600, 2700, 7700, Ryzens, etc. etc, etc...

The difference between a 2600K and 7700K in terms of single core performance is 47%. I would expect a considerable percentage  of that to be realised in the sim. So if you think 47% equates to "little difference" I'm afraid I must profoundly disagree. 

t is as ineffective as all the previous ones (thanks to Intel's greed and robbery)

Maybe you should consider that it's getting harder and harder for any chip manufacturer to provide huge increasing in performance from one platform to the next. Hence the minimal IPC improvement from lets say Ivy Bridge to Skylake, or Sylake to Kaby Lake. If you considered that, what we refer to as FACT, maybe you wouldn't be so quick to proclaim that Intel, or any other chip manufacturers are irresponsible for "greed and robbery". 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, martin-w said:

What on Earth does that mean? I haven't seen anyone claiming that the 7700K is the greatest CPU , the ultimate CPU that can nver be bettered. I've never seen "some folks" as you put it, calling it anything other than the best CPU for the sim CURRENTLY! In addition, I've not seen anyone claim it can do anything it can't. The advice you've been given here from people like me, Westman, Max has been accurate. 

The difference between a 2600K and 7700K in terms of single core performance is 47%. I would expect a considerable percentage  of that to be realised in the sim. So if you think 47% equates to "little difference" I'm afraid I must profoundly disagree. 

Maybe you should consider that it's getting harder and harder for any chip manufacturer to provide huge increasing in performance from one platform to the next. Hence the minimal IPC improvement from lets say Ivy Bridge to Skylake, or Sylake to Kaby Lake. If you considered that, what we refer to as FACT, maybe you wouldn't be so quick to proclaim that Intel, or any other chip manufacturers are irresponsible for "greed and robbery". 

All good points.  Additionally Joe forgets that you can only ask so much of a 10+ year old platform.  He should try XP11 - that sim would make use of a powerful new rig.  Frankly, even P3D can make use of a lot of it... but people actually have to turn down settings sometimes because of OOM's.  P3D v3 should change that.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:50 AM, martin-w said:

Pease re-read my explanations... and analyze.

• Upvote 1