Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Need Network Help Please?

I have two Win10 PCs setup exactly the same;  named PC1 and PC2.  Both have EXACTLY the same options selected in Network setup, and both are on EXACTLY the same Workgroup. I can ‘ping’ each PC from the other using the Command Prompt.

PC1 can access the Public folder on PC2, but not the other way round.  Although PC2 ‘sees’ PC1, when I try to access it, I get “Windows cannot cannot access \\PC1”

Selecting “Diagnose”, it says “Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but PC1 is not responding”.

Any ideas please?

May be a dumb question, but they have different IP addresses right?  Both set to DHCP on the router?  Next thing to look at are the folder permissions/sharing attributes on PC1.

Hi Folks,

Yeah - if your PC's can ping - network is good - I'd check Windows permissions and/or policies - policies can stop you from accessing another PC's files... Do both PC's have the same user account/passwd ??? That's typically the way I share files from a specific user's directory that exist on both machines...

Here's a good guide: http://www.geeksquad.co.uk/articles/how-to-set-up-file-sharing-on-windows-10

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

Neither PC is password protected in any way. Not the account, nor the network share. Tried totally disabling firewall on one and then both PCs to no effect.

Both have different IPs

Usually, I have to do very little just to access the 'Public' folders, but PC2 wont even open PC1

Hi Phil,

Have you checked this ?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/50179-turn-off-public-folder-sharing-windows-10-a.html

Just something I seem to recollect - that you may need an account with a passwd for Windows authentication to get the shares to work ??? Not positive - but something I seem to recall from somewhere...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

21 hours ago, scottb613 said:

Hi Phil,

Have you checked this ?

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/50179-turn-off-public-folder-sharing-windows-10-a.html

Just something I seem to recollect - that you may need an account with a passwd for Windows authentication to get the shares to work ??? Not positive - but something I seem to recall from somewhere...

Regards,
Scott

Thanks Scott

Finally sorted the issue, although I still don't really understand why....

There are two Ethernet sockets on my motherboard, and I simply switched the lead to the other one. Obviously each has its own IP address, but that shouldn't make a difference for local networking as both are seen as DHCP.

Anyway, at least I now have my network back.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions:-)