Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Flysimware Cessna 195 any good?

It's currently on sale over at Just Flight for less than 8 quid. Is it any good regarding FDE rather than visuals (I know there's an Alabeo one).  Does the floatplane version have deployable undercarriage?

I find myself strangely drawn to the 195, I'm not usually one to go for old & staid-looking planes...even for GA purposes. Perhaps it's the bulky radial??

Thanks.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Hi,

My experience with this aircraft was not good.

I installed it on P3D and here's what I recall. Haven't flown it since the week I purchased it.

• The sound is awful; it uses sounds from a stock aircraft.
  • Flight model is rediculous; with the throttle closed, it is more like a glider than a powered aircraft. There's other aspects which are bogus as well.
  • The textures and model are ugly.

I hate to harsh on Flysimware because I really like their Lear, Mitsubishi and Conquest. But, you asked...

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Thanks Richard.

May I ask when you installed it and tried it? Only reason I ask is it appears Flysimware released several updates - the last one being in Jan 2016. 

I did read something about it using the default Beaver sound in P3D - not sure if that applies to FSX:SE.

The reviews I found never mentioned it being glider like; it may be a feature! I looked at reviews of the real plane and found these couple of sentences which may be a clue as to why. I quote from an article from plane and pilot magazine - italics are my emphasis. http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/cessna-195-getting-down-to-business/#.WO1Hcvnyvcs

Descents in any radial present a challenge in that it’s important to maintain reasonable oil temperatures. The 195 is especially susceptible in that the big wing resists descents, seducing you into major power reductions. Chop and drop descents, however, are out of the question in a 195. You need to plan well ahead to make certain you don’t induce shock cooling and reduce oil temps to dangerous levels. 

The model "looks" like a 195 to me, when comparing it to the real thing, but then again I'm a total layman. Not sure what you mean by ugly.

I too have heard good things about Flysimware and want to like their 195... :blush:

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I installed it last Winter. So, certainly after January '16.

My opinion my be somewhat suspect as I have never flown a real 195. Once again, I really like Flysimware's products.

Let's just say I didn't like it. I've been spoiled, certainly, by the modern payware aircraft. I readily give up on aircraft that don't 'feel right' as I have others that 'hit the spot'. Still, I'm always looking for vintage aircraft to add to the hanger.

I still have FSX:SE installed just so I can fly the wondrous A2A aircraft; the Mustang, Cub and Cherokee are all great. They have the best vintage aircraft, IMO.  

• Upvote 1

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

I didn't think their 195 flew right at all, it's very difficult to land nicely, moreso than a real one. You can get it down of course, but your landing probably won't be pretty.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Appreciate the input guys. I guess I've saved £7-odd.

Mark Robinson

Shame the Alabeo one doesn't have floats... :)

Mark Robinson