Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

Crossing the Red - Final Leg

The final leg of Crossing the Red starts at Einasleigh (YEIH) which is an OZx freeware airstrip.  Because it is not selectable as a starting airport in FSX/P3D you may need to do a quick pre-positioning flight from YKID beforehand and save the flight situation at YEIH.  The other alternative is to depart from YKID and then do a JoinFS follow on anyone departing from YEIH.  

The route will cross the Savanahland of Queensland with landings at Undarra, Millstream, and then over the Atherton tablelands to Mareeba, Next, a tricky landing at Leila’s (See NOTAM), before descending down the Barron River Gorge to fly around Cairns, and then a landing at the International Airport.  Cairns had been planned as the final destination for Crossing the Red, but there will be a bonus leg.  After everyone has finished sightseeing around Cairns, we will depart as a group and head 65nm north across the beautiful Coral Sea, past Port Douglas, over the coastal hills of Baintree National Park and Cape Tribulation to Bloomfield Airport at Weary Bay.   

We are back in fun planes for this final leg.  I will fly the same Van’s RV7 that I flew in the kickoff leg.

58ed5ec5c9adc_redlastleg.jpg.c8a3daf993ebeb7a61490bed305b998e.jpg

NOTAM:  OSx Leila’s airstrip was created using Holgermesh but it seems that Jarrad’s Cairns (YBCS) payware airport introduced some mesh incompatibility issues.  The best fix is to find and inactivate the file: kh_lielas_CVX.bgl.  More on this can be found here.  Even with this fix Leila’s is a hard to find and is tricky landing. 

Particulars

Date and time: Saturday April 15 1800 UTC  (note: new earlier daylight savings start time)

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Cross-Platform Multiplayer: JoinFS. Latest TEST version is here. (FSX, FSX-SE, and P3D)

Final Leg Plan:  Red - Final Leg

Recommend that you set your initial clock to dusk minus 3.5 hours in local time to account for flight time and the usual "faffing about" time.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Thanks for all the flights Jeff!

Jeepers - For the life of me I cannot figure out what that aircraft was parked at our destination. ( answered many moons ago, cannot find )

In any case I won the "Landing Gear Lever Award" on the very first leg upon showing up..  (  Dobrze, że jestem Polakiem   )

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

BAZINGA !! :laugh:

A good night's rest will do wonders!
It's an extremely rare Helio HST-550 / AU-24 Stallion.
Found the original post! (From 2 years back) - Here. (LOL! Cute little Corby :wub:)

Some other information -
1) Check out the takeoff profile of a H-395 in this forum post - Impressive!
2) Clear as mud information about the civilian history. Much clearer with the proper eyewear. (Watching it now! LOL)
3) More muddy info.
    Humorous quote from the same forum :tongue: - 

"The Porter is the crate the Stallion came in"

The AU-23 was a built by license Pilatus PC-6.

Those guys over at ORBX are sneaky (Tasmanian) devils! Adjusting the N-number 1 digit up/down and adding tip tanks to fool us. The original aircraft most likely had them.
Here's N9550A with the same paint job as the "in the sim" N8660A. 

Jeff, how in the world are you posting images?
Do we (rtwr pilots) have the proper credentials?

None of the hosting sites I previously used work - Dropbox, Drive & Photobucket (The latter an add filled mess anyway)
My EAA chapter domain doesn't even work...
I sure do hope they'll bring back the option of BBC code.

Enough of this malarkey! - the photos are here.

Have A Happy & Safe Easter.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap