Sign in to follow this  
paul123

High cpu temp at idle 2500k

For some reason  I now have my i5 2500k idling at 55 degrees with a h60 cooler. Playing games takes it in the 90's so I have stopped playing them. Have took cooler off and did notice a hell of a lof of dust around radiator. Cleaned it all off as thought I had found the problem.  Reinstalled with new thermal paste but problem is still there. Even tried with old stock Intel cooler with new thermal paste but problem is still the same. Chip is not over clocked.  Running at 3.3 ghz. Computer did shut down once I assume to protect chip. I have no idea now what problem could be. Spent hours trawling through Internet. Is the chip on its last legs ? Any advice gladly appreciated. Thanks. GPU is run in at 45 degrees if that helps anyone.

There can be a few reasons,and you've tried som.. Are the fans running? Is there lots of dust around the fan blades? is there a small leak in the water line? Air in the water line can reduce the cooling effectiveness. Did you change the BIOS, which might have altered the cpu voltage. Are you using a different cpu temp monitor?  

I have an i5 overclocked to 4.5 and cooled on Air. I doubt very much that the cpu is going bad.

tony

• Upvote 1

Thanks Tony. Both coolers have the same effect so you might be right about the heat sink. Is it just a question of taking cooler off, opening up sink and relocating chip and closing I up ?? Thank you for your reply.

Once you remove the heatsink, you must clean and polish the metal very well. You can check the web on several techniques. Also, make sure that you have fresh heatsink cement, and a good quality one.

This may also sound stupid, but has your case temperature changed at all?

tony

The fan has packed  up on the side. Crappy ezcool case but I have been leaving the side of the case off. Ambient temp. in room is only  about 18 degrees. There is a fair but of dust in case but nothing too excessive. Thanks

It's a fact that, over time, the heatsink cement that is placed between the cpu and the heatsink deteriorates and causes overheating issue.

This is especially true if originally the seal was not well made.

tony

Sorry Tony a bit confused now. I have replaced the thermal paste in between the cooler and the heatsink. Are you saying there is a cement under the heatsink and the cooler where the cpu is seated ??

OK finally sorted it. It was a faulty h60 cooler. I have no idea why stock cooler would not reduce temperatures either but I fitted a new coolermaster 212 evo which I was going to use on my new build and now temperatures at idle are in the high 20's. Would never use a water cooler again as it appears coolermaster is just as good for a third of the price. Thankyou for those that took the time to respond. 😀

12 hours ago, paul123 said:

OK finally sorted it. It was a faulty h60 cooler. I have no idea why stock cooler would not reduce temperatures either but I fitted a new coolermaster 212 evo which I was going to use on my new build and now temperatures at idle are in the high 20's. Would never use a water cooler again as it appears coolermaster is just as good for a third of the price. Thankyou for those that took the time to respond. 😀

Stock coolers are garbage. It's bound to run at high temp with  a dodgy Intel cooler. Intel coolers are best used for paper weights or as a high velocity projectile to deter attackers. 

I'm not an advocate of AIO coolers either. Noctua NH-D15S here. Super cool, super quiet and runs my 6700K at 4.6 - 4.7 with no issues at all. Zero chance of leaks, no moving parts to fail, lasts for years, until an elephant accidentally sits on it.

Resist the marketing strategy that's pushing us towards AIO I say.