Sign in to follow this  
Jimm

Will This Run My Sim?

So I have some spare cash lying around, and I'd been mulling the idea of building a desktop.  It's been about a minute, since I last built one...actually back around the time where XP was the OS, and having a 1gb card gave you street cred, but I digress.

So I saw this video on Youtube, done by a well-respected custom PC builder and I thought "hey, that looks like it could run my sim pretty well!".  Before I hit the purchase button, I could use some thoughts and opinions. :)

The parts list (updated) is here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JayzTwoCents/saved/X79Pxr#problems

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

This is a build Jay did a while ago.

Things have changed. New kit available. 

It's also way over the top in many aspects. There are better choices for a sim rig.

10 minutes ago, martin-w said:

This is a build Jay did a while ago.

Things have changed. New kit available. 

Yep, it has been a while...just look at the updated price! lol

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Don't need multiple graphics cards, more than 4 cores (with HT), or anywhere near that much cooling capacity.  I've got a 140mm and a 360mm radiator in my 7700k flight sim machine (that runs @ 5.2GHz) and a single pump and reservoir in a relatively small case (Fractal Design Define S).  Honestly don't even need the 140, I just throw it in there because I can.  Runs FS much better than a 5960x @ 4.5GHz + 3x GTX 980 build I did in a 900D a couple years ago.  Easily 25% higher minimum FPS and similarly higher averages.  Don't spend money on hardware that doesn't benefit your workload.  

1 minute ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Don't spend money on hardware that doesn't benefit your workload.

Well considering I didn't state that this rig would be solely for flight simulation, I may have the need for the extra power elsewhere.

28 minutes ago, Jimm said:

Well considering I didn't state that this rig would be solely for flight simulation, I may have the need for the extra power elsewhere.

Uh, you also didn't state what it was for and you posted this on a flight sim forum.  What should I have presumed, exactly?

If you have other uses great!  Just be advised that a highly-clocked 7700k with fast RAM will outperform Intel's 8 and 10-core chips in the majority of graphics workloads (i.e. games).  Especially Flight Sim.  The data is in the FSXMark 11 thread.  

2 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

Uh, you also didn't state what it was for and you posted this on a flight sim forum.  What should I have presumed, exactly?

According to the title of the thread, I assumed it was self-explanatory.

Just now, Jimm said:

According to the title of the thread, I assumed it was self-explanatory.

Ok, so you literally asked: 

"will this run my sim?"

Tell me where in that I was supposed to gather that you were concerned about performance in other workloads?  You can't hold me accountable for your failure to disclose.  Anyway, let's move on.

5 minutes ago, TechguyMaxC said:

You can't hold me accountable for your failure to disclose.

I think you're making this out to be a whole lot more than it is.  With all the talk in the tech world these days about more power and performance, coupled with discussions in flight simulator forums, I just thought I would contribute the video (complete with hardware specs) to determine whether a "monster" of a system would have any trouble hitting high framerates as well as providing stunning visuals and not have to sacrifice keeping certain settings lower than what one would expect to have set.  All I was looking for was inciteful and intelligent thoughts and opinions on the hardware specified, and maybe even some discussion about how all the component parts interact to create a seamless pipeline of processing power.

If this is out anyone's realm of peaceful discussion, I kindly ask to please not respond.

3 minutes ago, Jimm said:

I think you're making this out to be a whole lot more than it is.  With all the talk in the tech world these days about more power and performance, coupled with discussions in flight simulator forums, I just thought I would contribute the video (complete with hardware specs) to determine whether a "monster" of a system would have any trouble hitting high framerates as well as providing stunning visuals and not have to sacrifice keeping certain settings lower than what one would expect to have set.  All I was looking for was inciteful and intelligent thoughts and opinions on the hardware specified, and maybe even some discussion about how all the component parts interact to create a seamless pipeline of processing power.

If this is out anyone's realm of peaceful discussion, I kindly ask to please not respond.

You're asking me to read your mind and then getting upset that I didn't.  I answered your actual question, btw.  I also said "let's move on".  Really don't want to have this discussion anymore.  If you want to discuss your premise further, or expand the discussion by mentioning the additional workloads you may have planned, I would be happy to do so.

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Max... with respect, you have come across as a bit tetchy.

As I said, I didn't want to have this particular conversation and attempted to step away from it.  

If a Moderator is available, please delete this thread.  Thank you.

This post had descended into petty arguments even though there was some really good info in it from all sides.  I'm sorry this happened.

To prevent further bloodshed and bruised egos, it is now locked.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals