Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Aeromobil to unveil new flying car

Believe I posted this first concept back in 2014 and it now appears to be a reality -

http://www.designboom.com/technology/aeromobile-3-0-commercially-available-04-11-2017/

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Although it looks really nice, realistically I'll have to agree with the only commenter thus far recorded.

"Jim" writes that he sees potential structural damage from every landing given how low the clearance is with the front wheels along with the tail wheels low profile...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Yeah, I could really see myself parking something like that on a street, returning to it hours later, being absolutely certain nobody had tampered with its airworthiness integrity, then confidently launching myself several thousand feet into the air in the thing lol.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I keep seeing visions of Bladerunner in our future.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

potential structural damage from every landing given how low the clearance is

Worried about ground clearance Bill? They've got you covered, the flying dune buggy:

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

52 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yeah, I could really see myself parking something like that on a street, returning to it hours later, being absolutely certain nobody had tampered with its airworthiness integrity, then confidently launching myself several thousand feet into the air in the thing lol.

Don't all of these new flying thingies all have parachutes, nowadays, anyway?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 hours ago, n4gix said:

sees potential structural damage from every landing given how low the clearance is with the front wheels

Think this was discussed when the first announcement in 2014 was released.  The video clearly shows the aircraft taking off and landing.  Still, the clearance looks a bit close.

3 hours ago, Chock said:

Your point is well taken.  There are many places, in large cities, where you would not want to drive this car/aircraft and park.  The way I understand the operation of this car/aircraft, you get up in the morning and drive it to the airport (I would hope the owner parks it in his/her garage) and take off (with proper clearances from ATC).  You land at an airport and then drive it home or back to the office.  I would think your drive to the airport would give you an indication of whether someone messed with the engine or whatever.  Like any good pilot, you would want to make sure of the air-worthiness before taking off.

I personally am not for any general public use of this aircraft.  They would need to be trained and licensed.  For those who can afford it and are trained and licensed to fly it, they could drive to their local airport or airfield and take off and land at an airport/airfield near their office and drive to the office.  Complete their massive workload (much like the workload here at AVSIM) and drive/fly back home using the same method as arriving.  I would suspect the insurance requirements would be high too but not any higher than those already for Beechcraft or Piper aircraft.  If I had a few hundred million, I would get one.  Harrison Ford would have a ball in this aircraft... I mean car.

Jim

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I live in Texas. These fools can't drive an earthbound vehicle to save their lives. I certainly don't want them flying one of these things over my head.

• Upvote 2

NAX669.png

Which is another thing. Aren't most of these vehicles highly automated?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

47 minutes ago, mwilk said:

These fools can't drive an earthbound vehicle to save their lives. I certainly don't want them flying one of these things over my head.

Don't think you have to worry.  They are in Europe.  US lacks the expertise to build one of these gadgets but I'm sure we can steal the technology and build a 4-seater!  :blink: 

• Upvote 1

Submit News to AVSIM

This is not for the masses.

The only way we're going to get vehicle 'flying car' civilian done is with drones and automated drop off points -- I like the way Airbus has visioned it; theres also a chinese company launching in Dubai with their flying drone already in production.

The airbus method allows you to dock your vehicle onto their flying drones -- more practical that way. 

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Yea I don't have enough faith in peoples driving ability let alone letting the masses fly.

Also Aviation progress has been declining in some ways, back in the 60's we thought the future so bright and yet the most popular plane is still the 737, we have also lost Supersonic Transport and Space Shuttles etc etc when we thought by now we would all be George Jetson vacationing on the Moon

We have only really been moving forward with technology behind producing and flying aircraft and reducing costs, but to be honest that has only led to a lighter weight 737 with lower production and operating costs, but no real milestones anymore. 

But on the other hand you can buy really cool Drones for under $500 and have hours of enjoyment....that is progress I guess :laugh:

Matthew Kane

15 hours ago, OmniAtlas said:

This is not for the masses.

The only way we're going to get vehicle 'flying car' civilian done is with drones and automated drop off points -- I like the way Airbus has visioned it; theres also a chinese company launching in Dubai with their flying drone already in production.

The airbus method allows you to dock your vehicle onto their flying drones -- more practical that way. 

I saw that Airbus promo video somewhere. It will never happen the way it's envisioned in that video unless the propulsion tech gets a LOT more sophisticated than it is now... like anti-gravity level sophisticated.

The problem is noise.

Have you ever noticed how videos showing off drone capabilities almost always have music in the audio track, instead of the actual sound of the rotors? Ever hear a medium-sized camera drone up close? Now imagine that scaled up to the size of a VTOL drone that could lift two passengers. Maybe not as loud as a conventional helicopter, but it sure won't be quiet.

I just don't see something that loud being allowed to overfly houses and businesses at low level, and taking off and landing from the equivalent of an urban or suburban parking lot. I think this is going to be a stumbling block for Amazon's dream of drone-delivered packages too. Who wants a squadron of these airborne lawn mowers and leaf blowers flying around your suburban neighborhood every day of the week?

Noise can be reduced to an extent (and usually at the expense of lift efficiency), but there's still a limit to what can be done when you're pushing air as a means of propulsion. Maybe in 500 years we'll have dead quiet, anti-gravity engines.

P.S. Regarding this aeromobile thing, the first thing I thought of was how expensive an otherwise minor fender-bender would be, if another car bumped that prop on the rear. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, Paraffin said:

Noise can be reduced to an extent (and usually at the expense of lift efficiency), but there's still a limit to what can be done when you're pushing air as a means of propulsion. Maybe in 500 years we'll have dead quiet, anti-gravity engines. 

No, by then "they" will have developed means to transmit noise through vacuum. How boring would it be to not be able to hear the graser/laser bursts, explosions, et cetera during a space battle? Not to mention the roar of the propulsion system! :biggrin:

As for the risk of collision damage, that is a very good point... It's obviously not very crashworthy, is it?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 4/14/2017 at 2:52 AM, Paraffin said:

saw that Airbus promo video somewhere. It will never happen the way it's envisioned in that video unless the propulsion tech gets a LOT more sophisticated than it is now... like anti-gravity level sophisticated.

The problem is noise.

I agree. Fly zone highways will have to exist away from urban centres. You'll have to drive to these drop/pick off drone mount points.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering