Sign in to follow this  
Jive1

Coastlines

Hey!

I'm re-installing my FS2004 system, and I see that many of the sceneries don't show the right coastlines, e.g. some islands of the Caribean just show tiles, squares, and not the real coastlines...

How can I make these coastlines correct?

Greetz

Jive1 - Belgium

You obvisouly miss several files named HP9xxxxxx.bgl in subfolders Scenery\Name. Probably they have been overwrited or deleted while installing a scenery package. Search for next airports in these areas and itentify the default airport file like AP9xxxxxx.bgl. And then search for the same file beginning with HP and the same numbers. Here an example for Nassau Intl: the default airport is in file AP927230.BGL and the coastlines are generated by the file HP927230.BGL. Both are in de the folder and subfoldser Scenerry\Name\Scenery. If you miss such a file, check what you else installed for  he area. Maybe Freeflow Bahamas..

Not necessarily.

If sceneries included revised coastlines with sceneries, the position of scenery layers is critical to prevent the "square coast" issue. The "readme" for the files concerned should make the requirements clear.

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

18 hours ago, Goldenrocket said:

Search for next airports in these areas and itentify the default airport file like AP9xxxxxx.bgl. And then search for the same file beginning with HP and the same numbers.

How do you identify a default airport file? These numbers are absolutely meaningless to me. I also have a problem with coastlines in some places but always balked at just replacing the default scenery folders in question from the cab file on the disk because most probably other older scenery (from the times when designers were merrily replacing default files) willstop working properly. Being able to identify specific areas would be extremely helpful!

Sasha, you can load a default APxxxxxx.bgl file into LWMViewer and see what airports it includes.

[Edit] You can use LWMViewer to find any airport and display a list of all the .bgl files that make up that particular area, very useful.

4 hours ago, sascha said:

How do you identify a default airport file? These numbers are absolutely meaningless to me. I also have a problem with coastlines in some places but always balked at just replacing the default scenery folders in question from the cab file on the disk because most probably other older scenery (from the times when designers were merrily replacing default files) willstop working properly. Being able to identify specific areas would be extremely helpful!

You can open the airport in AFCAD or AFX and it will give you the file name, although in my opinion you are barking up the wrong tree. The numbers are based on a grid system.

John

You also might deactivate all entries in your scenery.cfg and reactive them until you have detected the  entries causing the issues. That would need some time! I just try to help solving your issues. You still have the choice to follow other ways proposed here.

I think Goldenrocket's suggestion is a good one, probably easiest by using the "half and half" routine:

1. Backup the scenery.cfg file so that it can be easily reinstated.
  2. Remove half of the entries, and test
  3. If still the same, reinstate the file and remove the other half
  4. Once the appropriate half has been identified, split that section by half again, and so on.

If it still looks wrong with all add-ons removed, then it is indeed missing default files (as Goldenrocket suggested earlier). Reinstating missing ones is no big deal, if you are worried about over-writing modified ones just use the Don't Overwrite option . . . but then again it could actually be modified ones that are giving you the hassle.

So there is plenty to try - probably the first thing to do is to make sure you have a complete backup of your FS to drop back into place if need be.

John

Easiest way to apply John's suggestion ist to use "FS Scenery Manager". A simple tool  available here.https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=131667

It's freeware and far easier than go through default settings. BTW, Jive1 has still not given some examples where exactly he got the coastline issues. Could eventually be helpful, for him of course.

I also have this problem, but my install is over 5 years old now and I will NOT reinstal until this PC dies forcing me to buy a new one.

Then I wil fix the problem.

For now I simply live with it.

BTW, it's the Carib area, at least 4 different versions of various islands in there and I ain't gonna feck with it any more :-)

Rab

I too have experienced this in recent weeks.  Hadn't been on my sim for a while and came back to discover that my UK coastlines were all square with absolutely no contour at all.  It also branched over to France and into Belgium (I was flying from Bristol to Brussels).  I should point out that this wasn't the case when flying in the US.

I read this thread and, don't ask me why, de-installed one of my terrain programmes (Just Flights)  as it was the last I remember adding on.  Decided to install Flight 1's Ultimate Terrain Europe instead and, voila, I now have contoured coastlines.

I'll never understand why things happen the way they seem to do with my flight sim programme but I now have a nice UK coastline again.  Mind you, I haven't flown anywhere else since so my problem may have moved to another area.

Anyway, good luck in getting your coastlines sorted out.