Sign in to follow this  
Jumpshot724

FS9 CTD HELP!!!!

First time poster so be gentle lol!!

I'm usually able to solve my issues through Google searches and reading other forums but this one has me stumped.

I was flying KJFK-KSAN, about to start my descent into KSAN when I got a CTD. No problem, I've been exclusively using the iFly 737 for the past 2 years so I'm used to it, that's why I save all the time. Reloaded the flight from my save point, continued on and boom, CTD again in about the same spot. I figured it was a problem with a scenery file ( I have a LOT of sceneries). I uninstalled my KSAN and still CTD. I tried loading in KLAX and CTD. I loaded on the East Coast and it loaded ok.

I updated my video drivers and comp, and now FS will start but while trying to load a flight (East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, anywhere!!) I get the dreaded "Flight Simulator has stopped working and needs to close" error. The flight loads to about 90-99% before this crash.

I removed all my AI aircraft thinking it could be a corrupt texture (I had that problem 6 months ago and was able to fix it, stupid Delta 757....) but that didn't help.

As I said I'm stumped on this one. I'm pretty savvy with FS9 been using it since it came out and have it so heavily modified with sceneries and AI I am DREADING a re-install. I've had problems before (see that damn Delta AI above....) and been able to troubleshoot but I don't know where to start here.

Oh, I should probably note that I did NOT customize anything in FS9 prior to this crash. I had been flying daily for about a week or 2 with no new customizations before this mess started so I'm pretty sure it's not on my end.

Any help would be great!! Any more info let me know!! I'm going to post this in FlightSim too if anyone monitors both.

You need to let us know what the error was by downloading AppCrashView (see page 6, AVSIM CTD Guide) or posting your Event Viewer report (also at page 6)(see link in my signature). 

It is is constantly stopping at the same spot it is probably a problem with your AI program (a flight cannot find the flight plan or the flight plan cannot find the aircraft) or the G3D.dll error which means you need to download and install the latest FSUIPC.dll utility for FS9.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ok cool we're getting somewhere thanks Jim. Here's my EventViewer

33176914604_9a681aa07e_h.jpgFS9 CTD Event Viewer by Joe Wilkers, on Flickr

Also like I said, it's happening everywhere. I've tried loading (default Cessna) into airports all over the world and it crashes the same place. I also took all of my AI aircraft OUT of FS and it still does it.

An unknown error is the hardest to resolve but, if you have the fsuipc.dll installed, I would disable that first.  It recently happened to me with P3D.  Fly from KSFO to KSAN and just before landing, crash.  Same place.  Did some research and found I did not have the latest version of the FSUIPC.dll installed.  No problems since.

The FSUIPC module loads at startup so could be the cause of the crashes at startup.  Unfortunately, the modules that load (they are all in your FS9 main directory and/or Modules folder).  I do not know very much about FS9 as I have not used that sim since 2006 but do know there is a fsuipc.dll utility made for it.  It loads if in the Module folder.  For FS9 I do not believe there's a dll.xml.  If there is a dll.xml though (same folder as FS9.cfg), then rename it to dll.off.

Your problem is most likely associated with one of your add-ons.  If you have fsuipc.dll in your Module folder, disable it by renaming it to fsuipc.off.  Rename your fs9.cfg to fs9.off and your scenery.cfg to scenery.off.  Restart and let your fs9.cfg and scenery.cfg rebuild.  Of course you will not be able to use any of your addons but you want to see if FS9 will start up.  If it does, I would rename the fsuipc.off to fsuipc.dll.  Restart FS9.  See if it still starts up.  If so, rename scenery.off to scenery.cfg and restart.  If there is a crash, then you have narrowed it to something in your scenery.cfg.  Just disable all of your add-on scenery except for maybe four add-ons.  Restart.  If it starts up it is not those four add-ons.  Disable 3-4 more scenery add-ons, restart and etc., until it starts crashing again.

You want to make sure all of your add-ons are compatible for FS9 and you are not trying to use a FSX or Acceleration add-on as those textures are mostly not compatible with FS9.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Didn't work.

I renamed the FSUIPC like you said, no change.

I couldn't rename the scenery file, the sim wouldn't even startup because it was "missing" with the new name.

I deleted out every single addon scenery, no change.

Took out all of my AI, no change.

I don't understand, I haven't done anything to the sim prior to this happening. It was working great then poof, not so much anymore.

Should I try a system restore? Maybe it was a computer update or graphics card update? Here's the APpCrashView if that helps at all....

33295215453_11c8ed8108_h.jpgFS9 AppCrash Event Viewer by Joe Wilkers, on Flickr

Have you tried renaming your fs9.cfg and restarting FS9 so that it creates a new one? If that works then add back elements of the old cfg file until the crash re-occurs and that will be where the error is.

On 4/12/2017 at 6:41 PM, Jumpshot724 said:

I updated my video drivers and comp, and now FS will start but while trying to load a flight (East Coast, West Coast, Midwest, anywhere!!) I get the dreaded "Flight Simulator has stopped working and needs to close" error. The flight loads to about 90-99% before this crash.

This error should have created an Event Viewer error with a faulting module.  The fact you updated your video drivers and computer may have caused the issue too.  Have you tried to restore your system to a point earlier than when the crashes started?

6 hours ago, vololiberista said:

Have you tried renaming your fs9.cfg and restarting FS9 so that it creates a new one?

I suggested this earlier and he has not indicated he has done this yet.  Rebuilding the FS9.cfg is almost like repairing or reinstalling FS9 so a good suggestion.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Where do I find the FS9.cfg? I only see the .Exe in the main folder

EDIT: Nvm, I found it. Had a very hard time getting to AppData 

EUREKA!!!!

I moved my scenery.cfg and FS9.cfg to my desktop so they would rebuild within the AppData folder

That seems to have done it!! Just completed my flight that was initially crashing without a hitch. Of course I had to re-install all of my add-on sceneries and re-adjust my graphics settings but we appear to be good to go!!

One thing though it appears my scenery.cfg did NOT rebuild itself, it's no longer in the AppData folder. The FS9 re-built itself and is there but not the scenery. Is that ok??

FS9 uses the scenery.cfg located in your Main FS9 folder. This is the working version of the scenery.cfg for FS9. So, if you found a scenery.cfg in your appdata/roaming folder and you renamed it, then rename it back. I do not recall about FS9 as it is a 20 year old program, but FSX keeps a scenery.cfg in the appdata/roaming/Microsoft/FSX folder to use to rebuild your scenery.cfg. The working version for FSX is in ProgramData folder. FS9 will not restart if you do not have a scenery.cfg or a scenery.cfg cannot be rebuilt. Glad you got your problem fixed.

Submit News to AVSIM