Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

Need Takeoff/Landing Distances for 74F

I'm planning on purchasing this fine aircraft tomorrow but I would like to know the takeoff and landing distance for a fully loaded (worse case) scenario so I can plan my airports. I'm getting a wide variety of numbers from Google searches. It would be nice to know exact figures.

Thanks.

Ciao!

As you are planning to purchase the 747 tomorrow you will then have all the data you need in the documentation that comes with it. If you don't purchase it then you won't need the data.

ki9cAAb.jpg

2 hours ago, briansommers said:

I'm planning on purchasing this fine aircraft tomorrow but I would like to know the takeoff and landing distance for a fully loaded (worse case) scenario so I can plan my airports. I'm getting a wide variety of numbers from Google searches. It would be nice to know exact figures.

Thanks.

Well, there are A LOT of variables here, because a number of factors go into calculating takeoff and landing distances. Takeoff depends on runway analysis, flap setting used, thrust used, adjustments for winds, slope, temperature, pressure altitude, etc. Exact figures will depend on known factors at the time and place of takeoff and landing.

Having said that here are some general numbers, because you cannot talk Exact numbers. All this varies with how far are you traveling and what is your fuel load.

At maximum landing weight (295 tons), landing with Flaps 30 on a dry runway with no corrections:

with autobrake 2 - 7770 feet

with autobrake 3 - 7050 feet

Takeoff is more complicated because you have to reference runway analysis charts for the given airport and runway, but in general with a Flap 20 heavy weight takeoff, you need anywhere from 10,000 feet to 12,000 feet depending on fuel load and distance flown to destination.

Bottom line, you really need charts or a performance engineering department to calculate takeoff and landing distances for a given airport, runway, on any given day. Needless to say, this performance package is provided to most airline crews in the form of a preliminary load sheet and a final close out load sheet so we don't have to make these computations, except on an oral when getting rated.

OK, but that gives me a ballpark. So I need to be looking for airports with 12k runways.. I see a lot with 11800 etc, I'm sure those would do for now, for the planning stages. I can tweak that list once I actually get it.

Ciao!

Just get Topcat or some other variant of a performance tool.  There are a few threads about this.  I personally use PFPX and Topcat and they are pretty darn accurate.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

3 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Just get Topcat or some other variant of a performance tool.  There are a few threads about this.  I personally use PFPX and Topcat and they are pretty darn accurate.

That is good to know, I was wondering how you get this information in the virtual world. Is this paid service or free like simbrief?

27 minutes ago, Captain_Al said:

That is good to know, I was wondering how you get this information in the virtual world. Is this paid service or free like simbrief?

Its a paid program thats nav database can be upgraded.  I love PFPX and will never use another Flight Planning tool after it.  I can even work B343 ops into the flight plan so I can redispatch.  TOPCAT is a bit more fuzzy in its takeoff calculations but in a more conservative manner.  I don't think I've ever gotten tot he point where I don't think I couldn't reject at V1.  So I think there is more room for derates but works more than well enough.

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

15 hours ago, briansommers said:

It would be nice to know exact figures.

As Brian Thibodeaux posted above TOPCAT is the way to go. I have used it for almost seven years. The times is has steered me wrong I could count on one hand. You can read the information on it and purchase it here - http://www.flightsimsoft.com/topcat/.