Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Invasion & Etc

1 hour ago, Jimm said:

Ok, so you are entitled to your opinion, no need to bash me for it.

Me no bashy bashy you.  Pleased to show myself whereby I thusly did.

spacer.png

Thanks for the heads-up, HiFlyer. Will stay clear as I did with their Anniversary Update.

May be planning your next O/S will solve the problem windows 10 will be the only Microsoft O/S in the future, and no X box it runs on windows 10, so it looks like apple will rule world eventually

Steve Jobs will get his wishes come true.

Ray Fry.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

He was a  MS employee until not long ago he probably knows a lot more than we do.  

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

By the way boys and girls, if it means anything to you, go here to opt out of personalized ads on your browser. https://choice.microsoft.com/en-us/opt-out

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

17 minutes ago, Raven9000 said:

Great.. another paranoid thread...

Windows 10..BAD!! But Google Chrome ok :laugh:

33 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

Windows 10..BAD!! But Google Chrome ok :laugh:

XoQOJJ.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

8 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

XoQOJJ.jpg

Your privacy concerns are overwrought and inconsistent with your browsing behavior. Is that more direct?

44 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

I believe your privacy concerns are overwrought and inconsistent with your browsing behavior. Is that more direct?

Fixed, for accuracy.

My direct answer is that, your reply is simply an addendum to your original straw man, since I still never said that Google was good, nor that Microsoft was bad, which might indeed be overwrought depending on the weather.

What I did do was post a video (in an operating system forum, hence its limited focus) advocating caution and listing precautions that can be taken that many may find warranted based on past MS practices that have been widely documented, investigated, and even fined on more than one occasion.

Seeing your Interest, I will add that those precautions extend to browsers (like chrome) as well as the operating system, since there are many options and sensible behaviors available in both cases to sensibly limit the amount of data one shares, and yes I do use some of them when convenient. In fact I'm considering a VPN, use programs that demand encrypted connections, block unwanted ads, monitor unauthorized changes to my system and..... I also use antivirus, and even a firewall!!

In all cases, the crux of the matter to me and many others, is control.

One can put a lock on one's door even knowing that a determined trespasser can break it, or one can leave one's doors completely unlocked on the theory that one's house can be broken into in either case (and that being concerned about it is overwrought)

It's a personal preference, but historically, most people, given a choice, opt for locks on their doors and valuable possessions (which to me includes my personal data) and frown on strangers ransacking their belongings, even if there's nothing startling to find. Some are overwrought enough about it to install cameras and elaborate alarm systems to help secure themselves. (and i've been waiting for years for them to be chastised for these extreme measures)

Certainly the European Union sems to be quite overwrought: https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/21/14682256/microsoft-windows-10-eu-privacy-concerns

Devons rig

If you like predictive search results in a browser, then you are enjoying key logging.

1 hour ago, Henry Street said:

If you like predictive search results in a browser, then you are enjoying key logging.

LOL! https://duckduckgo.com/about

Resistance is not futile. At least not quite yet....... 

I do realize there are many who find it easier to throw in the towel. Fortunately, there are also many fine and dedicated people with a bit more fight left in them.. https://www.eff.org/about

Your posts do remind me however that I've been slacking on my donations, so I thank you for that.

Devons rig

And yet you continue to use Windows based software :-)

24 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

And yet you continue to use Windows based software :-)

Does p3d run on linux?  There's the reason.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Does p3d run on linux?  There's the reason.

Honestly, that's why we are where we are. We want the applications.

In all fairness to HiFlyer, there are still discussions to be had but privacy as we understood it pre-internet is gone, way gone. Our congress just passed law allowing our ISPs to "sniff and sell" our traffic on their network. Where was the youtube outrage about this instead of essentially a no-change to the Windows EULA?