Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Windows 10 Creators Update Privacy Invasion & Etc

35 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Does p3d run on linux?  There's the reason.

Yup. It's not like there is a lot of choice.

24 minutes ago, Henry Street said:

Where was the youtube outrage about this instead of essentially a no-change to the Windows EULA?

That would be right here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trump+privacy

The key to all of this, like in politics, is first awareness and then action.

The first part, awareness is the entire point of the thread.

The second part, action is up to the individual.

Action can range from committing to protecting ones privacy more proactively, to drinking a cold diet Pepsi and going back to bed.

Free choice. https://panopticlick.eff.org/

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This is all more a question of "principle" rather than actual reason... I laugh at those petulant enough to think themselves so important that they would actually care about what you do...

And I yawn at those who believe that when they stoop to name calling, even by inference, that their arguments do not thereafter become irrelevant.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 4/13/2017 at 0:49 PM, Jimm said:

I have nothing to hide, I lead a boring life with my wife and my cat.

Everything on my computer is as kosher as Christmas.

Search my bags? sure, got nothing to hide.  Bodyscan or frisk, why not, you're doing your job.

Anyways, let's all relax.  Unless you have something to hide, you have nothing to worry about and as long as the OS continues to run like a champ, I have no complaints. :cool:

I'm actually surprised that the guy in the video wasn't wearing a tinfoil hat.

I really could care less if Microsoft or the NSA cares to snoop on my computer.

Sorry, I have to laugh at people who say "I have nothing to hide", or I could care less about a stranger at Microsoft or N S A snooping on my computer...

Really?

Do you have curtins on your windows?
Do you lock your house or car doors?

If you're not doing anything wrong, and have nothing too hide, I challenge you.....

1.  Next time you have a bowl movement on the way and you're in a public washroom, leave the stall door open.
2.  You have nothing to hide online, please share your passwords for your email accounts and bank accounts.

If you're completely willing to have strangers at Microsoft or N S A snoop, then you should be more than willing to allow acquaintances from Avsim read your emails.

I think you're missing the point about privacy.

Section 215 replaced by Windows 10?

..and establish a mechanism that preserves the capabilities we need without the government holding this bulk meta data.

And yes, I call FaceBook "NSAbook".

RJ

33 minutes ago, 3Green said:

I think you're missing the point about privacy.

Quite honestly at this point, I really don't care what you or anyone else thinks.  This whole thread is doing nothing but creating drama.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

1 hour ago, Jimm said:

Quite honestly at this point, I really don't care what you or anyone else thinks.  This whole thread is doing nothing but creating drama.

Not quite. The thread stood on its own, to be taken or left. The drama arrived when people jumped in to challenge others for having an opinion or stance on the subject that differed with their own.

As usual in such cases, I have responded calmly, and also as usual in such cases, when the attempts to provoke fail, the language became more openly aggressive.

I would invite a moderator to lock the thread if necessary, leaving it as a possible resource for those who care, and something no longer open to attempts to smother the subject by those who claim not to.

Devons rig

We would all fight to protect our privacy and want anonymity in doing so we have to except that those who wish to do use harm will be afforded the same, we can not have our cake and eat it there is a price to pay. In the world today there are those who want to destroy us given the chance and there are those who will hack the national grid to bring it down just show they can.

Ray Fry. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I think that Google knows more about me than even I do.

I'm sure, by now, that they all know how many times I go to the bathroom, how long I stay there for, & what I watch/read/look up when I'm there!

I have a friend how is so paranoid, he uses a paid VPN to download movies from legal sites. He will not stream from these legal sites either.

He will not use mobile phones from China, as he thinks that their government will spy on him, 

To each their own, I suppose, I'm off to don my tin foil hat now... 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

To each their own indeed. VPN use has exploded in China, Australia, India and the United States, especially after recent government moves. Even as we speak, ISPs around the world are fighting off ferocious assaults from media conglomerates and their government proxies for having the temerity to offer free Vpn services to aid customers seeking privacy.

From my side I see many many people unaware (and unwilling to be aware) of all the little changes in laws that are happening and being proposed continually to lesson their rights.

Case in point. Rule 41 was proposed, fought against and eventually passed, and I would bet good money most people have never heard of it. This happens all the time, chipping away at personal rights and privacy, while the people that fight for all of us get mocked with tin foil hat comments.

Meanwhile something supposedly intended to help fight criminal networks has (again) morphed into a huge, broad brush with very few the wiser. In the broadest sense this new rule means that even attempting to protect your privacy may now constitute probable cause for a government search. This could extend to things as benign as turning off the location setting on your phone, as that could be construed as an attempt to hide your whereabouts.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/04/rule-41-little-known-committee-proposes-grant-new-hacking-powers-government

Mockery is unfortunate, but people who care should never let others rolling their eyes and making coo-coo sounds deter them from their duties as concerned citizens to be aware of the things being done in their names.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin.

Devons rig

On 13/04/2017 at 6:10 PM, HiFlyer said:

Secondly, you just kind of confirmed the hypothesis of the video poster, that MS is doing this to get in on the lucrative action in a way and level of detail that Google and others can't match. At the OS level.

I think Google can match Microsoft when it comes to collecting users data.

Android is by far the most popular and used OS on the planet, Win10 does not even come close.

As far back as 2015 there were 1.4 billion Android users, the number today will be much higher than that.

Windows 10 is somewhere around 400 million

1 hour ago, Glynn said:

I think Google can match Microsoft when it comes to collecting users data.

Google can beat MS because it doesn't have the same restrictions. Accordingly, MS is working to undermine or work around those restrictions and get access to some of that free money to be had by collecting and selling our data. Win 10 is free for a reason, and it's not because MS are philanthropists.

Revenue from the app store is the final goal, and that app store will be running reworked Android apps, which gets them in on the Android data collection business.........

Round and round it goes.....

And it ends with our personal data. It's the holy grail for all the tech companies.

I remember long ago when I sought several business licences in the state of Florida..... and for years afterward received a torrent of Spam email "opportunities" and job offers from related businesses. It took me a while to find out that Florida was one of the States that had jumped onto the sell your information bandwagon and sold me up Spam Creek........

Devons rig

Win 10 is free for a reason, and it's not because MS are philanthropists.

Well stated.

8 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Win 10 is free for a reason...

Since when is Windows 10 free?  I guess you meant it was free for awhile if you were upgrading from Win 7 or Win 8.

Todd

11 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Revenue from the app store is the final goal, and that app store will be running reworked Android apps, which gets them in on the Android data collection business.........

Is this the Windows Store, or the Android Store?

So, the Windows Store running/selling reworked Android apps to get them collecting Android data?

This comment cannot be serious?:blink:

The next comment will be that our GPS is selling our location details to Google, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, _ _ _ _ _ ... fill in whatever!

We all know that Google search knows all!

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond...