Sign in to follow this  
SoCal81

No Autoland EICAS message

22 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

You need an ILS for an autoland. If I remember correctly, if you try arming it too early, you might not get the localizer, in which case it's going off the final approach course, hence the FAC. At that point, you're performing an IAN approach rather than an ILS, which is why you got the NO AUTOLAND alert. For more information, have a look at the FCOM page 4.20.11.

Hello my Captain Kevin! Where you been? long time has been no touch. So glad my teacher appeared here again aha!

Regarding on my flight I selected ILS. As you said I armed LOC too early and that why FAC showed in FMA.m Nah! … What is IAN approach? I will check FCOM. Punch of thanks!

EDIT: found http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_22/737approach_story.html

Edited by trisho0
correction

Patricio Valdes

26 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Regarding on my flight I selected ILS. As you said I armed LOC too early and that why FAC showed in FMA.

It doesn't matter what you selected in the FMC. If you armed the localizer too early and FAC shows up, it assumes you want to conduct an IAN approach and will act accordingly. FAC only comes up for an IAN approach.

28 minutes ago, trisho0 said:

Where you been?

Been busy with work.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

34 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

It doesn't matter what you selected in the FMC. If you armed the localizer too early and FAC shows up, it assumes you want to conduct an IAN approach and will act accordingly. FAC only comes up for an IAN approach.

Been busy with work.

Perfect explanation, learned about. And been busy with work is a good thing to stay even younger (lol).

Keep flying my Captain Kevin and don't fall asleep on flight (lol).

Patricio Valdes

On 10/9/2018 at 7:54 PM, trisho0 said:

And been busy with work is a good thing to stay even younger (lol).

Not with my job, it isn't. This job actually ages you quicker.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

3 hours ago, Captain Kevin said:

Not with my job, it isn't. This job actually ages you quicker.

Dear friend my Captain Kevin don't say that. A Pilot stays in a good shape even retired and for life.

I have installed X-Plane 11 and it is really hard to get the plane following ILS for landing with Toliss A319

Tried to fly in FSX and P3Dv4.3 with A2A Cessna C172 Professional and also with A2A L-049 Constellation, not a success.

I need to learn Radios and procedures for planes without FMC.

Those birds I mentioned simply another beauties especially Connie.

I might have to stay with my favorite PMDG 777. Recently installed the PMDG 747-8 which is the one I had No Autoland; didn't fly again yet (lot of work). I will fly on weekend.

Take care my Captain Kevin and don't let your job forcing you too much.

Rest well.

Patricio Valdes

On 10/9/2018 at 12:41 AM, Captain Kevin said:

You need an ILS for an autoland. If I remember correctly, if you try arming it too early, you might not get the localizer, in which case it's going off the final approach course, hence the FAC. At that point, you're performing an IAN approach rather than an ILS, which is why you got the NO AUTOLAND alert. For more information, have a look at the FCOM page 4.20.11.

I think this may have happened to me. But maybe not. But maybe.

I note, however, you said localizer (as opposed to G/S).

In my case, I was lined up on-heading well outside the ILS range (i.e. 12 miles), so I acquired the LOC without any gross angles. I pressed the LOC button. Tracking fine. A few moments later I intercepted the glideslope. Pressed the APP button. It didn't throw the NO AUTOLAND yet. I dropped last notch flaps (I think 25, I was empty freighter re-basing). I dropped gear. Don't remember which order it was in - flaps or gear. Can't remember exactly how many miles close I was, but the altitudes were already being called out ("2,500" etc) when out of the blue NO AUTOLAND. WTH?! A quick glance at the autopilot light showed the all-three was no longer lit. I quickly pressed all three - nada. I re-pressed APP (it was already lit) - nada. Didn't have time to fiddle anymore, but it seemed to land by itself with me doing the throttles to keep vref, and then reverse thrust. Maybe I was on a lucky ballistic trajectory anyway at those final moments or maybe it was still actually doing some semblance of an autoland, I don't know, I didn't move the stick much at all.

So my instance didn't throw the error at pressing the LOC nor the APP; it threw the error closer to short final. I wanna remember just prior to the MM flashing...

Seems like everything was usual, and then bam! NO AUTOLAND.

When exactly are we to press APP? At EXACTLY that moment when the pink diamond crosses ladder center? Or just a smidgen afterward? Or a hair prior? How much slush is built into the window of time for us to press APP? Is my inprecision in pressing APP what set off the NO AUTOLAND? And if so, why did it take so long after intercept to throw the error?

EDIT: Yeah, maybe I pressed LOC too soon. But if I did, it was only a hair too soon. I didn't notice a "FAC". Ain't saying there wasn't a "FAC" indicated, just saying I didn't notice if there was. The whole thing behaved normally tho, up until a mile/few miles from the threshold before deciding it was gonna NO AUTOLAND. If it was because of early press of LOC, then why not throw the NO AUTOLAND  right then and there? It is an disconcerting surprise to tease me with having it all the way down and then taking it away from me at the last second. It's a horrible "trigger" of my younger days when women use to do that to me all the time! LOL

Edited by Kukailimoku
more info