Sign in to follow this  
JesC

Cessna 441 Throttles Offset at Lower Altitudes??

I am seeing a significant difference in the throttle positions necessary to achieve the same torque readings when at altitudes generally below about 5,000'. In other words the left throttle is farther forward than the right throttle when the torque readings match. This is true of the VC throttles as well as my throttle quadrant. By the time I have climbed above about 5,000' they are back to very similar positions for the same torque.

Is this normal behavior for this aircraft and does anyone know why it is that way? Or, perhaps more likely, is there something I am failing to set or do correctly?

I'm betting some of you who are more experienced with the Conquest and the Garretts will know what is happening.

Thanks,

Jesse

EDIT:  I stated that backwards. The left throttle is farther back than the right. I also think the "about 5,000'" is related to density altitude or temperature and is only an approximate level to begin seeing more even behavior.

Edited by JesC

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Allow me to try again. My explanation may have been less than clear.

The issue I am seeing is that the left engine is producing 150 lbs. - 200 lbs. more torque than the right engine. This difference diminishes with higher altitudes/ lower temperatures, and will eventually not be present. It then returns slowly on descent.

At this point if anyone could let me know whether you are or whether you are not seeing this performance it would help me. I just think I am missing something obvious but at this point I am completely stumped by it. Other aircraft are not exhibiting this behavior, but this is the only Garret powered twin I have.

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse Cochran

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Does this already happen on the ground? It might be easier to get comparable results when we use the same conditions.

I just tried it on the runway with throttle at 50% (condition levers: max): 1212ft-lbs vs. 1216ft-bls

Now at 2500ft QNH 1015 at 65% (condition levers: 95%): 1329ft-lbs vs. 1333ft-lbs (with slight fluctuations up to 1331/1334)

So no, I can't reproduce the problem.

Edit: But I get a difference of 250ft-lbs if I turn on only one of two engine anti-ice switches.

Thanks for taking the time to test and respond Thomas.

I have done most of my testing from KSAT; and whether with live weather via AS16 or the default "Fair Weather" theme I notice the issue. And, yes it is present on the ground as well during climb out. I have also tested at KDEN and KAXX where, with the higher altitudes and lower temperatures, the difference is significantly reduced.

Anti-ice was one of the first things I considered as well as the bleed air settings. Both produced expected results as you describe.

I have also tried loading over a default Cessna 172 flight. In fact, have even tried re-installing and the repair tool to no avail.

Thanks again for the input. I will continue looking.

Jesse

Jesse Cochran

Worked a charm, Thomas. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! You definitely deserve the "Genius of the Day" medal in my book.

Now I will start to look at the work ability of creating a cold and dark start from this file. But, it seems obvious that there is definitely a conflict with my normal start flight.

Blue Skies to you.

Jesse

Jesse Cochran