Sign in to follow this  
petabread

General x-plane thought

First off, let me start with a quick background, I have been using Microsofts flight simulator since windows 95. I was die hard MSFS until 2010. What happened? I got frustrated with all the weather engines available for fsx until active sky next came out. I was tired of flying across the Atlantic to either have my sim crash or my aircraft crash due to wind changes. I decided to give x-plane 10 a chance and the smoothness and the ability to use the flightfactor 777 across the Atlantic was a delight. P3D was and is not in running for me as a successor because it's too much fsx, even though it's stable and smooth it just feels horrible now.

Now with X-Plane 11, the look of the world, the overal feel of a flight and being able to complete flights and basically go point to point with ease has got me jumping for joy again.

I don't really want this to be an fsx vs p3d vs x-plane thread but rather my 2 cents. I completed a flight between Athens and JFK and it reminded me of all those wonderful times in fs2004 that I could never recreate in fsx or p3d, but to a higher level of realism.

• Upvote 5

I love X-Plane too, but I just can't stop thinking about the investment in all of the aircraft, scenery and utility addons for FSX and P3D! So now I have to find a way to discuss my new flightsim requirements and investments with my better half!  Oh my, life can be very difficult sometimes.

• Upvote 3

I didn't invest in p3d, I think the biggest turn off for me was having to re purchase the pmdg aircraft. Leaving fsx was easy after that. Funny, because of my better half I decided it wasn't wise to spent more money on an aircraft I already have on an fsx upgrade.

I've been using XP11, P3D, and FSX:SE and enjoying the benefits of all three. I just purchased the NGX for P3D today and own the FSX version as well. I have too much invested in all three to quit now. 

51 minutes ago, N1G said:

I love X-Plane too, but I just can't stop thinking about the investment in all of the aircraft, scenery and utility addons for FSX and P3D! So now I have to find a way to discuss my new flightsim requirements and investments with my better half!  Oh my, life can be very difficult sometimes.

Well, the good news (and it really is good, I'm not being facetious) is that you won't have to make the same investment in X-Plane because the same amount of scenery and aircraft is either not available yet, or not needed to get full enjoyment out of the sim.

There is a large library of free scenery included in both the default program through the Gateway of user-created scenery, as well as free scenery for individual airports you can download at the .org. At the base scenery level, you can make your own free orthophoto based scenery if you want, and the high-resolution terrain/landclass mesh with OSM autogen is a viable option if you don't want that (works for me, because I hate blurred orthophotos at near-ground level).

I don't think there will ever be the large, expensive payware market for scenery that you see now in FSX/P3D. One reason is that it just isn't needed with all the free scenery available. Another reason is because X-Plane uses an open folder system for storing and loading scenery. It's not a good match for payware because there is no built-in method to protect it. The available payware scenery (like the excellent Bella Coola package) is basically being sold on a trust basis. I think this is the real reason why Orbx did that fan dance recently about developing product for XP11 and then quickly backing out. Going forward, X-Plane is looking to be very cost-efficient for scenery, at least at the end-user level (it must be a challenge for payware developers).

Regarding high-end, payware aircraft (where DRM for copy protection is available through plugins) -- you may be spending a lot of money if you're interested in GA aircraft, biz jets and helicopters because there are some very good models available. The market for high-end airliners is still developing. PMDG tested the waters with their DC-6, and I think most of us are assuming they'll continue down that path, releasing their modern tubeliners at some point. X-Plane is a growing market and they already have one exploratory foot in it. So you can't spend much money for that type of aircraft now, but you will eventually. 

• Upvote 3

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

i have all of them on my pc as well, I don't hate any of them, it's just that with a certain amount of time for flying I have to choose one and the one that gets my attention 99% of the time is x-plane 11. I couldn't bring myself to repurchase items for p3d that I have in fsx.

• Upvote 1

The best sim is ELITE! No, DCS..., sorry, I meant IL-2, but I actually was thinking about Aerowinx PSX, or was it P3D ?

Well, I think my preferred is really AEFS2, but the most perfect feel comes from X-Plane 11, although I don't like it ?!... Or do I ?.... Yes I do... of course, Austin is a Genius, and he and the LR Team will make it up to their standards along the XP11 ride... But... does that mean stability for the poor developers in the market ? Nope ? Well, that may also indicate  fewer add-ons than those available for the MSFS and derivates platform, but heck... that one's outdone for quite a long time... Well, but no FSLabs A320 or PMDG 777 like simulation already available for XP11, unless you count the iXEG 737, and probably one of the newer FlightFactor creations, or the Saab 340... and that feel of flying an aircraft in XP11 is after all better than anything in MSFS / P3d... but still not as good as anything in IL-2 or DCS ( which force me into Combat... Oh... I HATE Combat - feel so stupid playing, and actually enjoying it :-/ ) , and in some aspects that AEFS2 flight dynamics really shine, but they're sooooo slow in their progress that we can expect that maybe around 2020 we may have something to the level of what's presently available in XP and by that time all sims will already be 128 bits...

Is there a soaring sim? I WANT A SOARING SIM !!!!!!

I give up - all will get uninstalled before midnight today!  Tomorrow it's a new day !

• Upvote 3

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

8 hours ago, petabread said:

I don't really want this to be an fsx vs p3d vs x-plane thread

But it will become one soon :D

• Upvote 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

22 minutes ago, jcomm said:

I think my preferred

The Uninstaller's true mindset!  Always enjoy your comments jcomm!

John

John Wingold

47 minutes ago, Old_As_Dirt said:

The Uninstaller's true mindset!  Always enjoy your comments jcomm!

John

Depends on the pills he is taking on one day and possibly other ones on a different day ... :ohmy::laugh:

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

The best sim is ELITE! No, DCS..., sorry, I meant IL-2, but I actually was thinking about Aerowinx PSX, or was it P3D ?

Well, I think my preferred is really AEFS2, but the most perfect feel comes from X-Plane 11, although I don't like it ?!... Or do I ?.... Yes I do... of course, Austin is a Genius, and he and the LR Team will make it up to their standards along the XP11 ride... But... does that mean stability for the poor developers in the market ? Nope ? Well, that may also indicate  fewer add-ons than those available for the MSFS and derivates platform, but heck... that one's outdone for quite a long time... Well, but no FSLabs A320 or PMDG 777 like simulation already available for XP11, unless you count the iXEG 737, and probably one of the newer FlightFactor creations, or the Saab 340... and that feel of flying an aircraft in XP11 is after all better than anything in MSFS / P3d... but still not as good as anything in IL-2 or DCS ( which force me into Combat... Oh... I HATE Combat - feel so stupid playing, and actually enjoying it :-/ ) , and in some aspects that AEFS2 flight dynamics really shine, but they're sooooo slow in their progress that we can expect that maybe around 2020 we may have something to the level of what's presently available in XP and by that time all sims will already be 128 bits...

Is there a soaring sim? I WANT A SOARING SIM !!!!!!

I give up - all will get uninstalled before midnight today!  Tomorrow it's a new day !

Uh, Jcomm, are you sure you are feeling well ??? :blink:

I got X-Plane 11 on Steam the first day it came out and never went back to FSX or P3D. No more tweaking my system to prevent OOM or lag issues associated with FSX or P3D. Now I can fly from point A to point B without my system crashing. There are some comments on Steam about X-Plane poor graphics, surely those people do not have the adequate hardware to fully enjoy X-Plane 11. I have no issues running on max settings in a 4k display. I will keep P3D since I have invested hundreds of dollars in add-ons. Hopefully in the future they will come out with a 64bit version and pray that I will be able to use these add-ons. For now, my primary flightsim is X-Plane 11.

Regardless of what platform you are using, what are some of your most memorable moments that keep you flying? I had one the other day while I was descending through a broken cloud layer and remember the lighting was just spot on, for a moment I forgot I was at home on a computer. Certainly inspired me to keep going!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Well, the good news (and it really is good, I'm not being facetious) is that you won't have to make the same investment in X-Plane because the same amount of scenery and aircraft is either not available yet, or not needed to get full enjoyment out of the sim.

There is a large library of free scenery included in both the default program through the Gateway of user-created scenery, as well as free scenery for individual airports you can download at the .org. At the base scenery level, you can make your own free orthophoto based scenery if you want, and the high-resolution terrain/landclass mesh with OSM autogen is a viable option if you don't want that (works for me, because I hate blurred orthophotos at near-ground level).

I don't think there will ever be the large, expensive payware market for scenery that you see now in FSX/P3D. One reason is that it just isn't needed with all the free scenery available. Another reason is because X-Plane uses an open folder system for storing and loading scenery. It's not a good match for payware because there is no built-in method to protect it. The available payware scenery (like the excellent Bella Coola package) is basically being sold on a trust basis. I think this is the real reason why Orbx did that fan dance recently about developing product for XP11 and then quickly backing out. Going forward, X-Plane is looking to be very cost-efficient for scenery, at least at the end-user level (it must be a challenge for payware developers).

Regarding high-end, payware aircraft (where DRM for copy protection is available through plugins) -- you may be spending a lot of money if you're interested in GA aircraft, biz jets and helicopters because there are some very good models available. The market for high-end airliners is still developing. PMDG tested the waters with their DC-6, and I think most of us are assuming they'll continue down that path, releasing their modern tubeliners at some point. X-Plane is a growing market and they already have one exploratory foot in it. So you can't spend much money for that type of aircraft now, but you will eventually. 

Good point! Right now I am in demo mode and am in fear of roaming out of that area once I buy in, since that area is so very well done. I fear though as you mention the freebies, which I agree are excellent, may slide their way to the payware market depending on the popularity. Although most is free there may be a better than good chance it won't remain free market. Mister6X is a good example. Don't get me wrong, many would gladly pay as his art work is top notch. Looking forward to what is ahead though.

11 hours ago, petabread said:

i have all of them on my pc as well, I don't hate any of them, it's just that with a certain amount of time for flying I have to choose one and the one that gets my attention 99% of the time is x-plane 11. I couldn't bring myself to repurchase items for p3d that I have in fsx.

I agree, with XP11, my work is focused on flight planning and flying the sim.  And it looks great right out of the box!