Sign in to follow this  
ArmyJack

Disk of Clouds following Plane

Good Day All!

I'm having an issue with a cloud layer in OpusFSI. There is always a cloud layer or a disk of clouds that follow my plane in FSX-SE. Like a Lid, I can see the edge of the clouds just over my plane at altitude. Follows me like a little puppy. Nice, but not realistic. I have Cloud draw set to Max in FSX-SE and Auto Cirrus clouds enabled in OpusFSI. I understand that Cirrus clouds are not injected my Metars, but are injected by OpusFSI if conditions are ripe for Cirrus clouds. I have no issue with Cirrus clouds being drawn when the actual sky is clear, however the unrealistic disk is madding. Any thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome.

That's most likely the Cloud of Doom, a problem with a bitmap mask in the FSX sim.

Here's a past SimForums post. We'll see about putting the FAQ back.

It might be the old 'Cloud of Doom' bitmap mask. You will find a cirrus_overcast03_Opus.bmp file in your OpusFSI folder. You could try renaming and replacing your cirrus_overcast03.bmp FSX file with this (renamed of course). Rename your original (add _FSX) to its name) before using the Opus one.

This bitmap mask can cause the 'Cloud of Doom' in FSX, I believe it was intended to be used by Microsoft to depict fog. Try it.

Stephen :-)

Stephen, Thanks for your suggestion. I had read somewhere in the past about this issue but I wasn't clear on the solution. But, I understand now. I'll give it a shot and hope it's the cure. Regardless, your help is most appreciated.

Thanks, Jack

Stephen, Just a quick reply to inform you that I no longer have "The Cloud of Doom" Your fix did the trick!

Once again let me say how much I appreciate your response and the help you offered.

Fly safe, Jack