Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Setting up GTN-750 to open as a popup via assigned key

Just recently  bought the GTN-750 for XP-11.  How do I assign a key so that whatever plane I am in, I can just simple press the assigned key and have the GTN-750 open in a popup?  I prefer not to use the plug-ins menu.  Any help is appreciated.

Also, when the popup appears, how do I turn the GTN-750 on?  Within P3D, all I had to do is click the GTN-750 screen, but that doesn't appear to work in XP-11.

Thank You, PDX

Hi,

There are different avenues:

You can choose to connect the corresponding GTN popup window command to any input available, using the X-Plane 'assign command' features (for example select your joystick, and assign a GTN command to a joystick button).

You can also choose to assign a keyboard shortcut instead. I don't remember where it is in XP11, but you can manually edit the GTN shortcut keys file in textedit. It is located here:

"XP11\Output\Preferences\RealityXP.GTN.ini"

It is a self-documented file.

• Upvote 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

On April 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM, PDX Flyer said:

Also, when the popup appears, how do I turn the GTN-750 on?  Within P3D, all I had to do is click the GTN-750 screen, but that doesn't appear to work in XP-11.

This I'm not sure to understand. The GTN has no power on/off button and depends on the avionics bus. There are a few aircraft with 'custom' avionics bus logic which make the X-Plane avionics bus inop. For this, you can select the 'always on' setting in the GTN settings panel.

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Since I had the Flight1 GTN-750 purchased for P3D, I uninstalled it's GTN "trainer" library, then reinstalled your product (and the "trainer" library), which then linked everything correctly.  I realize there might be a preferred approach if I planned on keeping P3D installed.  For folks in this category, I think I read somewhere that there is a better approach.  Somehow, I couldn't find this documented?

Within XP-11, I then assigned a joystick button to "toggle window visibility" within the RXP GTN section of commands.  Somehow, I expected this to make the GTN-750 toggle on and off.  No joy here.

I found by trial and error, that before the toggle feature to work, when first going into a created flight, that I had to go to the menu item: "Plugins > Reality XP GTN > GTN1 > GTN 750" to get the gauge turned on.  At that point, the assigned joystick button functioned correctly.

Maybe I am just too new to the XP platform to understand all of this, or maybe there is a better way this could be documented.

Anyway, now that everything appears to be working, I love the gauge and it's functionality.  For a GA flyer, just the map alone for situational awareness would be worth the price.

Thanks for your response and have a good day.

PDX

• Upvote 1

There is no panel.cfg file in X-Plane, nor any gauges either.

Selecting a device in the plugins menu represents the equivalent to adding a gauge in the panel.cfg file in FSim. Anytime you subsequently open the same aircraft, it opens the device automatically. These settings are saved in the "RealityXP.GTN.ini" file in the aircraft folder.

Once you have configured your aircraft with a GTN (as explained above), its functions and commands become available!