Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Advice requested from PMDG simmers/tech: nVidia vs AMD video cards

Hi all, I am looking to buy a new computer and wanted to know what the general consensus is (if there is one) regarding NVidia versus AMD video cards. I've only ever used NVidia, so I have no idea how well AMD video cards work or how easy they are to tune in order to get the best possible graphics for FSX. All comments/advice welcome!

Edit: I am posting here as I am pretty much solely using PMDG products and want to know how the AMD video cards handle the complexities of FSX and in particular, PMDG products.

Nvidia is generally considered better for FSX. I'm sure someone with more tech knowledge can tell you why

9 hours ago, mcbellette said:

Hi all, I am looking to buy a new computer and wanted to know what the general consensus is (if there is one) regarding NVidia versus AMD video cards. I've only ever used NVidia, so I have no idea how well AMD video cards work or how easy they are to tune in order to get the best possible graphics for FSX. All comments/advice welcome!

Edit: I am posting here as I am pretty much solely using PMDG products and want to know how the AMD video cards handle the complexities of FSX and in particular, PMDG products.

Matthew,

I had the same questions over the last month. This was also because one day I will move over to P3D, which apparently uses the video card more than FSX. If you have a look at this site, you get the idea of the "grunt" of the Nvidia verse the AMD. There could be other reasons the better informed know of. Last week I went the Nvidia GTX1080 way. http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html 

Best of luck with your deliberations. 

Geoff Bryce

I've adopted a less than complementary attitude towards ATI/AMD video cards after owning a few.  The always tore certain FSX graphics such as the display on the CDU, and PMDG reached out to them but they responded they were not interested in such as small market and flight simulation. On that note I said goodbye and well wishes with their "big" markets and that customer support attitude.  NVidia turns out a software revision occasionally (ie once every couple years) that doesn't play well with P3D but the remedy is don't update every update.  I'm still using a GTX750Ti and GTX980Ti in two different workstations and do not have complaints.

Dan Downs KCRP

I wasted two years tuning my AMD micro and gcard, disregarding as ###### anyone claiming Intel/Nvidia was better for FSX. Finally built a new Intel/Nvidia system and greatly improved performance.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

nah  havnt  seen  any tearing  of  graphics at all

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg