Sign in to follow this  
TristanHarmsen

View control problems in X-plane 11

Hello!  I just bought x-plane 11 and I find it absolutely sublime apart from the view controls, which I can't seem to get working.  I initially got x-camera and installed that in the plugins folder, but when I tried to use it the camera twitched annoyingly and I found it hard to read the text in the cockpit so I disabled it.  But now that I'm trying to work with X-plane 11's default view controls, I find that they don't function at all in 3D cockpit view.  I set up key bindings in the "view/manipulate view" menu, but when I try to use them nothing happens.  

Do you have any suggestions as to what I might try?  

Thank you in advance!  

You can control views using the keyboard's numpad. Position the camera view you wish to record, including zoom. Then press CTRL (Numpad Number) to record that view. Now whenever you press that particular numpad number it will return to that view. As an example I record the overhead panel to the Numpad 8 key and the MCDU to Numpad 5. 

Jason E Row

Follow me on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/JasonRowPhotography

The neat thing about the default Ctrl+Numpad views mentioned above, is that they're saved separately for each plane model. That's very handy, because what you need to look at is likely to be in a different place in each cockpit.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thanks for the reply!  The trouble is that I can't move the view to look at any place in the cockpit other than dead ahead, so it's impossible for me to customize the views in the first place.  

9 hours ago, Paraffin said:

The neat thing about the default Ctrl+Numpad views mentioned above, is that they're saved separately for each plane model. That's very handy, because what you need to look at is likely to be in a different place in each cockpit.

I also new in X-Plane, I get visualisations without problems but I have a problem with 747-400.
Well. I on FD, A / T Arm and other functions, they turn it on and off.
But SPD if connected airplane obeys selected speed, but it is not possible to switch off.
Is it possible to create a keyboard shortcut for the SPD function?
My hope is that this works because I already sent BUG Report to LR, from February of this year, but until yesterday nothing, I do not know if 747-400 will be finished.
Thank you.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

2 hours ago, TristanHarmsen said:

Thanks for the reply!  The trouble is that I can't move the view to look at any place in the cockpit other than dead ahead, so it's impossible for me to customize the views in the first place.  

Okay, first make sure you're in the 3D cockpit view mode (default is Shift + 9).

Then you should be able to pan, tilt, and move in and out with the keys listed in the Settings menu (Keyboard, Views, Manipulate View). 

You can also map the view movements to a joystick or other controller button in the Joystick menu (Move view up, Move view down, etc.) by setting the various commands. Some of this should already be mapped to your joystick or yoke hat switch by default.

Once you have that working, you can set a view for whatever part of the cockpit you want by using Ctrl + (numpad) which is saved for each plane, and be recalled by hitting that key on the numpad.

14 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

Okay, first make sure you're in the 3D cockpit view mode (default is Shift + 9).

Then you should be able to pan, tilt, and move in and out with the keys listed in the Settings menu (Keyboard, Views, Manipulate View). 

You can also map the view movements to a joystick or other controller button in the Joystick menu (Move view up, Move view down, etc.) by setting the various commands. Some of this should already be mapped to your joystick or yoke hat switch by default.

Once you have that working, you can set a view for whatever part of the cockpit you want by using Ctrl + (numpad) which is saved for each plane, and be recalled by hitting that key on the numpad.

I did make sure that I was in the 3D cockpit, and I also double-and triple-checked my key and joystick mappings.  But no controls that I try to use, either with default or custom mappings, have any effect on the view, including the right mouse button.  

44 minutes ago, TristanHarmsen said:

I did make sure that I was in the 3D cockpit, and I also double-and triple-checked my key and joystick mappings.  But no controls that I try to use, either with default or custom mappings, have any effect on the view, including the right mouse button.  

Okay, then the only thing I can think of, is that your previous installation of x-camera might have screwed up the view system somehow. It sounds like something is mapped to those controls that's overriding your keys and joystick settings.

Assuming you've done a complete removal of x-camera from the plugin folder, try this:

Delete the" X-Plane.prf" file from /Output/preferences folder and let X-Plane rebuild it on the next program start. If that doesn't help, delete "X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf" from that same folder. Then try remapping your keys and joystick mappings. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just started having trouble setting views with the control num pad.  I have double checked the number pad on of course.  I never had a problem with this before!  Now for some reason it doesn't work.  All I have is the default view and the mouse to change views.  I was wondering what got changed in my settings that might be causing this.  

Thanks,

Jim

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:48 AM, Paraffin said:

Okay, then the only thing I can think of, is that your previous installation of x-camera might have screwed up the view system somehow. It sounds like something is mapped to those controls that's overriding your keys and joystick settings.

Assuming you've done a complete removal of x-camera from the plugin folder, try this:

Delete the" X-Plane.prf" file from /Output/preferences folder and let X-Plane rebuild it on the next program start. If that doesn't help, delete "X-Plane Joystick Settings.prf" from that same folder. Then try remapping your keys and joystick mappings. 

Thanks a lot. That worked for me too!

Old topic but it saved my bacon;) I took a couple months off to try out MSFS and came back to X-Plane. XP's flight dynamics are soooo smoooth!! Anyways, I couldn't look around the cockpit in XP. I actually thought I forgot how to use X-Plane😆. I tried the "Delete the" X-Plane.prf" file from /Output/preferences folder" trick and it's back, I'm so happy to be back in X-Plane!!!

• Like 1

Good Day

I have a problem with my No:1 Throttle and condition/mixture lever in all my twin aircraft. They are stuck in place and wont move.

I have tried other help sites that crashed my sim and reinstalled it completely and the problem is still there on a fresh install

please help me