Sign in to follow this  
barramundilure

New Build, FSX or wait for P3D V4

Hello everyone

I am just finishing up my latest build based around an i7700K with water cooling, GTX 1070OC etc.

I am tossing up whether to install FSX again or wait for the new version of P3D which i believe is to be 64bit.  I will certainly not be investing any more money into FSX at this point in time but how hard is it to clear out FSX if P3D V4 comes out soon?

Should i simply wait for the new version even if it proves to be a while before we see it rather than the grief of having to remove FSX and any remnants left behind?

What do you think?

regards 

Tim Carter

Regards

Barra

i7 7700K, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, GTX1070 OC 8GB, 1TB Samsung SSD for OS and P3D4.4, W10 64Bit, Corsair H115i Water Cooling

If you can live without a sim platform then wait. If not, install FSX and enjoy. It's not terribly hard to uninstall anything provided you keep track of what you're putting in and are comfortable with your operating sys. FWIW, FSX and P3D can coexist on the same machine without any conflict.

The emergence of P3D v4 to me is pure speculation. Have LM announced anything? Everyone is abuzz after interpreting some innuendo from certain developers. Until LM announce something I wouldn't pay any attention to v4 other than to dream about it.

• Upvote 1

David Porrett

Here is my experience with FSX and P3D v3.4. Moving from FSX to P3D v3.4 already a major change to me. 

Hope it helps

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

9 hours ago, DavidP said:

The emergence of P3D v4 to me is pure speculation. Have LM announced anything? Everyone is abuzz after interpreting some innuendo from certain developers. Until LM announce something I wouldn't pay any attention to v4 other than to dream about it.

Exactly, major software upgrades never happen on schedule.  P3Dv4 is pure speculation and rumor fueled by a scenery developer that announced they had access to the beta, which seems very strange that a scenery developer would be "read into the program" but not major aircraft developers like PMDG and others.  Pure hype for now and probably for awhile.

My advice is to keep in mind that software has a 4-5 year half life, hardware is obsolete in 5 years, so don't use a planning horizon for your computer purchases that are much further out than 6 months.

Dan Downs KCRP

20 minutes ago, downscc said:

P3Dv4 is pure speculation and rumor fueled by a scenery developer that announced they had access to the beta,

P3D 64bits has been in beta testing for about a year now, cannot mention the source, but it's confirmed. And moreover, it's around the corner!.

Cheers, Ed

• Upvote 2

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

It really does depend on how long you're willing to go without flying. Keep in mind that, even if v4 is released tomorrow, it will take some time for many addons to become compatible. I would go ahead and reinstall FSX. When v4 is released it should co-exist quite nicely with your FSX installation until you're ready to use P3d exclusively. Then you can uninstall FSX; even if some garbage is left behind, I can't see that it would have any negative impact on your system.

• Upvote 1

Walter Meier

I'm waiting to get a new build for when V4 arrives. There is no point in fueling 32bit programs with more power than I already have.

• Upvote 1

Or, if you want to go Prepar3D now, just lease it month to month, and then if a version 4 comes out soon, you're not out the full purchase price of V3.  Forgot the price, but I thought it was pretty cheap.

I saw a V4 icon on a LM developer's youtube video for Prepar3D v4.0 as he was showing his overall setup.  It was mostly black with some white in it if I recall.

Not sure why this thread is in the PDMG section though.

Mark Trainer

Can someone explain to me what will be the advantage of P3D 64 vs current P3D?   What does 64 bit get us?

Are we going to see much better graphics?  Will we get better frame rates?  As of now I have a hard time telling the difference between a screen shot in FSX or P3D and a real photo.

Paul Gugliotta

7 hours ago, edpatino said:

P3D 64bits has been in beta testing for about a year now, cannot mention the source, but it's confirmed. And moreover, it's around the corner!.

Cheers, Ed

Pfft...

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiJyL7WzqfTAhUK0IMKHQj_CQ8QtwIIIjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnlH9tBseDI0&usg=AFQjCNERc9tTC_7nN-tqQiCh8NRAEf7acg&bvm=bv.152479541,d.amc

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

FSX belongs to history now... P3D V3 runs much better for me... But don't expect fluid fps (>60 fps) with a GTX 1070 or GTX 1080, especially on complex sceneries... as P3D V3 is not yet fully optimized for the latest multi-core hardware... Waiting for the P3D V4...

28 minutes ago, paulyg123 said:

Can someone explain to me what will be the advantage of P3D 64 vs current P3D?   What does 64 bit get us?

Are we going to see much better graphics?  Will we get better frame rates?  As of now I have a hard time telling the difference between a screen shot in FSX or P3D and a real photo.

The main thing is stopping virtual address space (VAS) related out of memory errors and crashes in the sim. The current 4GB VAS limit in FSX and P3D is a direct consequence of the maximum number size that can be represented in a 32-bit application. (slightly simplified explanation but that's the basic idea) The core FSX/ESP engine that we've been using for 10+ years now was never designed for the level of detail and complexity that current addons are throwing at the sim - all of that extra detail, extra features, and so on comes with an increase in the amount of VAS that must be allocated by the application and Windows. It's bad enough now that you can easily OOM the sim right after loading it, on the ground, without even starting a flight if you have a particular combination of addons installed. (for instance, a complex addon aircraft, photoscenery terrain, a high detail addon airport, a weather addon, and an AI traffic addon)

64-bit applications raise the VAS limit to 256TB (that's *tera*bytes, not gigabytes - 1TB is 1000GB, so this is a huge increase over the 32-bit limit), so there should no longer be an issue with having say 32GB of physical RAM on a PC but OOMing at 4GB of VAS usage long before coming anywhere close to the system's physical limit.

To clear up one major misconception I've seen getting thrown around: What 64-bit does *not* mean is that developers no longer have to worry about memory in any way. Physical memory - meaning the actual amount of memory plugged into your motherboard and integrated onto the GPU's board (VRAM) are still limiting factors - 64-bit doesn't magically make the sim able to exceed those physical limits. What it does mean though is that we have room to grow and scale with hardware. If in 5 years, computers have 32GB GPUs and 128GB of system memory or something like that, the sim will be able to take advantage of it and won't crash due to exceeding virtual allocation limits. In an indirect sense I'm sure this will lead to better graphics since higher resolution textures, models, draw/LoD distances and so on will be usable. I would not expect any immediate benefit were a 64-bit simulator to release this year (which is all still speculation, there's been no official announcment of anything) outside of the elimination of VAS OOMs as discussed above though.

• Upvote 2

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

2 hours ago, Tabs said:

I would not expect any immediate benefit were a 64-bit simulator to release this year (which is all still speculation, there's been no official announcment of anything) outside of the elimination of VAS OOMs as discussed above though.

The elimination of the VAS OOM plague of the last 5-10 years is the only benefit that matters.

What else matters?

We will have 128 GB of memory as standard in our PC's when we want/need it. We will have a "8Ghz" processor and a "40TB" SSD when we want/need it. The main thing is that we have a platform that will make use of that hardware. Realism is increased as sliders are increased and realism is what is sought....this is why I buy PMDG planes.

There is not 1 single power flight simmer who does not have to lower the sliders. They have all the PMDG, A2A, Orbx, FSDT, etc. etc. add-ons, and have a PC system that could give them 30 FPS anywhere. They must reduce resolution, features, or even worse get recommended to just eliminate an add on (vector) they paid for, to be able to use a plane (FSLAB A320)...unacceptable is it not? It should be to all of us.

To be forced to trade off because one cannot afford the hardware is acceptable, but many flight simmers have the hardware and we still have to reduce.

Yes we will have to wait for some add-ons to be 64bit compatible - but it will be worth the wait and another immediate benefit is finally flight simulation is looking like its at least trying to keep up with technology, when it was at the forefront 15--20 years ago.

I can see NVidia now, laughing at this genre, hopefully not for long. :cool:

15 hours ago, downscc said:

Exactly, major software upgrades never happen on schedule.  P3Dv4 is pure speculation and rumor fueled by a scenery developer that announced they had access to the beta, which seems very strange that a scenery developer would be "read into the program" but not major aircraft developers like PMDG and others.  Pure hype for now and probably for awhile.

My advice is to keep in mind that software has a 4-5 year half life, hardware is obsolete in 5 years, so don't use a planning horizon for your computer purchases that are much further out than 6 months.

They could have participated in testing the beta version but they do not public anything about it, does not mean they do not have access to it. I don't think LM agrees any of the beta-tester to say anything about it.

However I agree with you that v4 has been a hype because it is what most people are dreaming of, so they believe in it more than they should have. I'm fine and chill now with v3, I only believe in official statement.
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5